Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
2006 CLK 350
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused: I looked under the passenger side panel expecting to find it there but nothing... looks like a fan and a large white styrofoam block under there. I tried to move the styrofoam but it would not budge.

Where the heck did they hide it??

Please Anyone??

L

·
0 Posts
Inside the drive seat (I'm not kidding).:thumbsup::D Scroll down for more detail.

Just kidding.............. :D it in the engine bay on top of the battery.

·
Registered
2006 CLK 350
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:) Hahaha! Hey Linh.. how you doin?

That filter on top of the battery is the Cabin Air Filter, which I already know about and changed... but the CARBON filter is hiding somewhere else... Marcus gave me info on changing the CARBON filter on the W208 chassis, but mine is the W209 and is definitely not accessible through the passenger's panel..

So anymore ideas where to look?

I'm beginning to think that no one ever changes it... so they don't know where to look.

I finally ordered the Burl glove box handle trim you told me about.. should be arriving next week form *************.com .... Jerry was very helpful.

Thanks for the info.

I also got my Burl wood steering wheel installed... look for it on the W211 forum... that's where the thread got started!

Have a nice weekend :thumbsup:

L

·
0 Posts
:) Hahaha! Hey Linh.. how you doin? :thumbsup:

Lol.........doing great !! I haven't need to change any of those filter yet so there's no need yet for me try to find out the location. I discovered the cabin air filter by accident when I disconnect the battery.

·
Premium Member
2004 CLK 240 Coupe
11,377 Posts
I think that you were right in your first post - it is under the passenger side panel.

Same as on the W208. That forum has a DIY STICKY that covers this topic. Strangely the pictures no longer display, but you can figure it out.

·
Registered
2006 CLK 350
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the encouragement... Marcus sent me that DIY but it's for a W208 and is different from the W209. What I see after removing the panel is a large white styrofoam piece which does not appear to be removable. Maybe the Carbon filters are under that styrofoam but I am afraid it will break into pieces if I force it out.

The other possibility is that the filter is accessible by removing the liner of the glove box which would entailing removing the CD changer ... looks like a big job.

So I was hoping someone could confirm the Carbon filters are there under the white styrofoam or someplace else?

·
Registered
CLK200 W209
5 Posts
unitfreebie,

I've been looking at this myself & i think that the cabin/pollen/charcoal filter are all the same thing.
It's located on top of the battery in the engine bay and is accessible by undoing 3 clips.

If you dont have AC then i think you fit the pollen filter but if you do have AC i think you fit the charcoal filter?

Correct me if i'm wrong someone?

L

·
0 Posts
unitfreebie,

I've been looking at this myself & i think that the cabin/pollen/charcoal filter are all the same thing.quote]

I think so too because i just went to the same store that I alway bought stuffs for mine Mercedes and asked them about cabin filter and charcoal filter and the guys said that his Bocsh part catalog only showed cabin filter for mine 2006 Clk. If there is one, it would have to be two in one filter. I got mine cabin filter and it not 2 in 1 filter because it look like paper filter.

·
Registered
2006 CLK 350
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow... I will have to think about this again!

I actually have the new Cabin Carbon/Charcoal filters (2 pcs) in hand ... so... I

There is a link to the W208 DIY Carbon filter (2 pcs) change, so it would be strange for Mercedes to eliminate it in the W209 or make it smaller.

The air filter above the battery is a white paper type. Not a Charcoal filter.

The Pollen filter is the same as the Carbon filter; it will filter out small pollen particles and odors like diesel soot smell.

Anyone else?

:surrender:

L

·
0 Posts
There is a link to the W208 DIY Carbon filter (2 pcs) change, so it would be strange for Mercedes to eliminate it in the W209 or make it smaller.

I'm currently also own a 2000 Clk 430 with 125K miles and never replace the charcoal filter before because I didn't know that the car even have it. Never heard of anyone replace it before.:D

·
Registered
2006 CLK 350
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
DIY W208 carbon filter change and eBay store for filters

Hi Linh,

Uh, your charcoal filter is probably all plugged up and not passing air anymore!!!

Check out Marcus's website... link to DIY W208 Cabin Carbon filter change

Mercedes Benz W208 CLK Cabin Filter

Check out this eBay store for filters but I don't see your W208; but email him as he might have or can get it for a good price...

eBay Store - Rojoimparts: Mercedes Air Filters: Mercedes Cabin Air Filter W163 ML320 430 350 500 ML55

:thumbsup:

L

·
0 Posts
Hi Linh,

Uh, your charcoal filter is probably all plugged up and not passing air anymore!!!

Check out Marcus's website... link to DIY W208 Cabin Carbon filter change

Mercedes Benz W208 CLK Cabin Filter

Check out this eBay store for filters but I don't see your W208; but email him as he might have or can get it for a good price...

eBay Store - Rojoimparts: Mercedes Air Filters: Mercedes Cabin Air Filter W163 ML320 430 350 500 ML55

:thumbsup:

That's the same cabin air filter that I replaced many many times on my Clk 430. I guess there's many name to these type of filter. Notice in the procedure, he said that he used "Bosch charcoal filter" but the picture showed, it just a cabin filter (white type paper filter just like our w209 cabin filter).

·
Registered
2006 CLK 350
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Saga of the Cabin Carbon filter continues ....

The link shows Marcus replacing the Cabin Carbon filter... which actually has a slight grayish color but the camera's white balance makes it appears white. You can see it in the pix comparing the dirty and clean carbon filter; the camera's white balance makes the new carbon filter appear white when it should be a slight gray.

If you been replacing the Carbon filter (2 pcs) below the glove box then there is still a plain white cabin air filter before it... maybe accessible through the interior bottom of the glove box like in the E320's ???

·
Registered
2006 CLK 350
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
:thumbsup: Thanks so much for the attachment from the W203 Forum !!!

It definitely shows the Cabin Carbon filter behind that piece of white styrofoam.. So I will carefully remove it and not have to tear into the glove box interior.

Guess I should read the W203 forum too since we have the same chassis.

:)

·
Registered
2006 CLK 350
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No Carbon filter in car!!! See Pix of White Styrofoam

Well, I went back under the dash again and took a good look at that White Styrofoam piece and concluded that I do not have a carbon filter in my car!!!

At least not under the dash... I moved that White Styrofoam (see pix) around and there is no carbon filter hiding behind it!

Also my car does not have the Carbon filter switch on the front dash controls. So I wonder why it was eliminated??? Maybe it is located somewhere else?

Anyone? :confused:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2004 CLK 240 Coupe
11,377 Posts
unitfreebie

Referring to my OM, I note that (on 2004 model) the activated carbon filter is only supplied if you have the Thermotronic (intelligent air conditioning) system fitted. That is where the switch is located. This is an option that adds about £400 in the UK.

Otherwise, with the standard Thermatic (automatic air conditioning) system it is not supplied.

I have it, but have never switched mine on.

·
Registered
2006 CLK 350
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
END of SAGA !!! Moral: Read the Owner's Manual!!

:thumbsup: Thanks ... that's the answer.. "when in doubt, read the manual!". :bash:

Well, OK, so now I have a pair of new carbon/cabin filters that I cannot use...

Any one want to buy it for what I paid for it, $43.00 Plus UPS shipping cost to you????

:surrender:

·
Registered
1979 280CE
6,118 Posts
The AC and heater on our 05 CLK320 smells very bad. It smells musty like the car has water under the dash in the AC. It only smells when you first turn it on after it has been sitting, after about 2 min the smell goes goes away. Could it be AC drains or some thing?

1 - 20 of 60 Posts