Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2006 S350, 2009 CLK550
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I have a CPO 2006 S350 with extended warranty (upto end of 2012) from Mercedes Benz. Today when I was bringing it back from my dealer (low beam light bulb adjustments after new ones were put in) and was driving back home, the low battery message came on, the lights went out, the COMAND went out and even though I was driving the car, the system said that my battery was dying and I need to start the car immediately. Lost ABS, lost power steering and just managed to crawl home.

The service center is closed over the weekend, so the earliest I can take it in is Monday (rush hour :eek:). I see on the net that people don't recommend jumpstarting the battery on this car. Should I get AAA to tow it in (about 15 miles) or should I try jumpstarting it? Would I be voiding my extended warranty in any way by doing the latter? Should I try running it for 3 - 5 hours to see if the alternator can charge up the battery or is it a goner? Are batteries covered under warranty typically? Also noticed that somebody indicated that the airmatic pump relay may stick and cause the battery to drain. Is this a common problem?

Not sure if it is related, but my COMAND kept crashing fairly randomnly too before this happened and the service guys could not duplicate the symptoms :(.

I love my S350, but I am getting to know my service advisor and his family a bit too much for my liking with this car :(.

·
Registered
2006 S350, 2009 CLK550
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Aaaargh, should've read the sticky first, I guess (wonder how google never picked up the sticky)
Dead battery , cant get in trunk or inside car, how to jump start? HELP!!! - MBWorld.org Forums

Will call MB Roadside Assistance tomorrow morning and see what they say.

BTW, how do I find out if my instrument cluster has been replaced as per the recall (other than by asking my dealer), since it is a CPO? Don't recall carfax report mentioning it (and I have not done it after my purchase 1.5 years back).

Hi
I have a CPO 2006 S350 with extended warranty (upto end of 2012) from Mercedes Benz. Today when I was bringing it back from my dealer (low beam light bulb adjustments after new ones were put in) and was driving back home, the low battery message came on, the lights went out, the COMAND went out and even though I was driving the car, the system said that my battery was dying and I need to start the car immediately. Lost ABS, lost power steering and just managed to crawl home.

The service center is closed over the weekend, so the earliest I can take it in is Monday (rush hour :eek:). I see on the net that people don't recommend jumpstarting the battery on this car. Should I get AAA to tow it in (about 15 miles) or should I try jumpstarting it? Would I be voiding my extended warranty in any way by doing the latter? Should I try running it for 3 - 5 hours to see if the alternator can charge up the battery or is it a goner? Are batteries covered under warranty typically? Also noticed that somebody indicated that the airmatic pump relay may stick and cause the battery to drain. Is this a common problem?

Not sure if it is related, but my COMAND kept crashing fairly randomnly too before this happened and the service guys could not duplicate the symptoms :(.

I love my S350, but I am getting to know my service advisor and his family a bit too much for my liking with this car :(.

·
Registered
2006 S350, 2009 CLK550
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can someone pls tell me whether it is a weird coincidence that within the last 3 weeks or so: a. the left low beam light fails, b. when that is replaced, the right low beam light fails (not the same day, but a couple of days later), c: when the right low beam light is replaced, a few days later COMAND crashes out of the blue and within a day or two later the whole system comes crashing down?

·
Premium Member
2012 C300 Sport 4Matic and 2003 CLK430 Cabrio
1,919 Posts
Can someone pls tell me whether it is a weird coincidence that within the last 3 weeks or so: a. the left low beam light fails, b. when that is replaced, the right low beam light fails (not the same day, but a couple of days later), c: when the right low beam light is replaced, a few days later COMAND crashes out of the blue and within a day or two later the whole system comes crashing down?

I travel on River road every day to my office in DC. I think i have seen your car. Its the only S350 that i have ever seen. Is it a Pewter color? or gray? I cant help you with the issues of the COMAND but the lights failing close together could be normal. Their life is rated in hours. Good Luck, I will Honk if that was you the next time I see a S350

·
Registered
2002 honda civic (sold), 2009 Mercedes ML350
1,344 Posts
shit happens, now there is no issue with jumpstarting the battery as long as its done correctly.

·
Registered
2006 S350, 2009 CLK550
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, it was NOT the battery. MBRA had come out to jumpstart the car and they said I should drive it into the dealership (since the battery warning had come on when I was driving the car). After the jumpstart, the car did not even make it past the block before everything shut down. The car was towed in and the dealer service center looked it over and it was apparently the voltage regulator which had failed and they have replaced it under warranty (thank God I got the extended warranty) for no charge. They had not seen this before on this model before apparently and found it weird that it happened so randomly.

Aaaargh, should've read the sticky first, I guess (wonder how google never picked up the sticky)
Dead battery , cant get in trunk or inside car, how to jump start? HELP!!! - MBWorld.org Forums

Will call MB Roadside Assistance tomorrow morning and see what they say.

BTW, how do I find out if my instrument cluster has been replaced as per the recall (other than by asking my dealer), since it is a CPO? Don't recall carfax report mentioning it (and I have not done it after my purchase 1.5 years back).

·
Registered
2006 S350, 2009 CLK550
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi,

Hmm, you are going to give some S350 guy a weird shock when you honk at him/her :p

I drive down Bradley and have actually seen a few silver-colored S350s around (atleast in the shopping mall at the corner of River and Falls Road).

I travel on River road every day to my office in DC. I think i have seen your car. Its the only S350 that i have ever seen. Is it a Pewter color? or gray? I cant help you with the issues of the COMAND but the lights failing close together could be normal. Their life is rated in hours. Good Luck, I will Honk if that was you the next time I see a S350

1 - 7 of 7 Posts