Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2006 R3504M, 2007 E3504M
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased and installed an iTronic BT bluetooth phone connection for my 2006 R350, and eveything works fine. I made the purchase over the internet and installed the unit myself. InCarTronics provides fairly poor documentation, but more than excellent technical support over the phone.

I found a fiber optic connection on the front passenger side footwell, behind the lower/outside plastic panel. This made a cleaner install than tapping behind the radio or CD changer. I tapped the +12V in the glove compartment fuse panel. Installation is very easy and rapid. You'll spend more time making a clean install and dressing the cables than anything else. I located the iTronic unit in the front console, behind/below the climate control panel. You need to remove 7 screws to remove the plastic structure that holds the COMAND and Climate control in place, but it provides a nice central location for the BT receiver.

Once I powered the iTronic BT, the phone function worked right away. However, I had the following issues:

1) The CD Changer did not work anymore, and showed some iPod functions, despite the fact that I had no iPod. I called ICT and they emailed me a new init file that I put on my camera SD card and then inserted in the iTronic for 30 seconds. The update worked and I got my CD changer to work again. What's nice with the init file is that you can edit it with notepad and change some parameters like the bluetooth PIN. Support from ICT was prompt and very good.

2) All functions work on the COMAND, but the steering wheel buttons do not. ICT told me that I need the dealer to activate the phone function on the CANBUS. I will do this at my next visit.

I am quite satisfied so far. ICT has proficient poeple at their helpdesk. I just wish they had better documentation.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Nice!! This is in the works for my wife's as well. I'm assuming you went with the MOST unit? Did you get it during their sale? I received an email they were running a special for $850.

·
Registered
2005 E320/2006 R500/2007 E350
3 Posts
I found five screws behind the HVAC console, but can't find screws 6 and 7. Any advice? I can't get the nav/radio out. (I have an 06 R500.) Thanks.

·
Registered
2006 R3504M, 2007 E3504M
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You have to pull the radio before you pull the black plastic frame. After you remove the two screws on the metal hooks, just slide them down and the radio will be free.

·
Registered
current: 2014 ML350 Bluetec past: 2008 ML320 CDI 2007 R320 CDI/2005 E320 CDI
198 Posts
I purchased and installed an iTronic BT bluetooth phone connection for my 2006 R350, and eveything works fine. I made the purchase over the internet and installed the unit myself. InCarTronics provides fairly poor documentation, but more than excellent technical support over the phone.
I am wondering how did you install microphone (location) ? Also, do you have any problem to hear other side when you make call through BT.

I am considering add IPod/IPhone integration but I am wondering if you have that module or just BT ...

Best regards,
A.

·
Registered
2006 R3504M, 2007 E3504M
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I installed the microphone under the rearview mirror. It is slightly tilted toward the driver, so indeed the passengers need to talk loud to be heard properly.

I have the OEM iPod kit (there is no iPhone kit), and this is completely independent of the itronic BT. All it does is feed the iPod audio through the AUX input (which does not work after) and gives you iPod browsing control in the instrument cluster and steering wheel buttons. Not a great feature, but better than nothing. The iTronic can give you iPod integration, but that kills the CD changer.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I installed the microphone under the rearview mirror. It is slightly tilted toward the driver, so indeed the passengers need to talk loud to be heard properly.

I have the OEM iPod kit (there is no iPhone kit), and this is completely independent of the itronic BT. All it does is feed the iPod audio through the AUX input (which does not work after) and gives you iPod browsing control in the instrument cluster and steering wheel buttons. Not a great feature, but better than nothing. The iTronic can give you iPod integration, but that kills the CD changer.
Any experience with rear video system ..? I'd like replace original DVD (on armrest in second row) and install DVD drive only which it could play any format (i.e DivX,....). The second option is go with Video in Motion from Itronics. As I understand, if I go with that unit, I can play any external format.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Any experience with rear video system ..? I'd like replace original DVD (on armrest in second row) and install DVD drive only which it could play any format (i.e DivX,....). The second option is go with Video in Motion from Itronics. As I understand, if I go with that unit, I can play any external format.
Let me ask question again and maybe get answer from somebody in Europe. I have been told that European R-Class can play DivX (or any other format than DVD). Is it true or not ..?

I am thinking about take out current DVD drive from back and replace it with working from Europe ...

I hope that I can get some answer soon ...

10x thanks

·
Registered
'06 R350, '07 Lexus IS250 AWD, '99 Toyota Camry
20 Posts
omG this is what i have been looking for, thanks a lot lippens. Would you know a system however that would integrate an iPod to the comand system as well? before finding this i would have waited until i have the chance to just fit the new comand system in.

·
Registered
2006 R350 (SOLD); Current: 2012 R350 Bluetec, 2003 Nissan 350Z, 1990 R32 Skyline GTR & a couple more
48 Posts
Hey lippens,

Thanks again for all the great inputs. Question for you. How did you choose itronics or tooki? itronics BT is more expansive, what is the advantage of itronic BT over tooki? I just can't believe I have to spend $900 for bluetooth, which is a standard feature for many cars nowadays. Any info is appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2006 R3504M, 2007 E3504M
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
iTronic vs Tooki, here is what I wrote in a W211 post some time ago.

Bluetooth phone. You have 2 options.

NAV-TV -> Tooki 650USD
CarTronics, the Leading Authority on Vehicle Electronics -> itronic BT 899USD

I did install itronic BT five times (in my R and E + 3 friends) and Tooki once. I recommend the more expensive itronic BT or the following reasons:

- It comes with a much better microphone (dual noise cancelling)
- It has longer fiber optics to ease the installation
- It has a silent mode switch for when you go to the dealer
- The phone book is friendlier than Tooki because it does not start with the list of connected phone (but it does it when not paired)
- The build quality appears to be much better

Both will offer you iPod, but that supersedes the CD changer so you're better off not to take it.

Installation in the E is a breeze (if you get a Tooki with short fibers, it might be a challenge). It took me 2 hours door to door. There is an installation video at CarTronics, the Leading Authority on Vehicle Electronics. My mom could do it.

Your head unit and steering buttons will work right away after the installation, but if you also want to access the phonebook through the instrument cluster, you'll need the dealer to code PHONE PRESENT on the CAN bus. It's a 5 minute job, they'll do it for free when you service the car.

I think that both solutions are much better than the 3000$ OEM solution. For one thing, you can update these devices by connecting your laptop to them (through bluetooth) to dowload new firmware. This will ensure that it still works with the phone you'll buy in 5 years.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts