Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2006 ML500
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the common climate control issue where you can't change the temperature when you turn the knob
my question is, If i disconnect and remove the climate control (so i can take it apart and see wtf is wrong), does it have to be re programmed by dealer? or does that rule only apply if you replace the climate control?
thanks!

·
Registered
06 ML350 W164
2 Posts
i have the same problem and my workaround to it is u slowly turn it to the right but not all the way u see the light move one over and than u turn it back ( not sure if it makes sense :confused: ) but that works for me lol

·
Premium Member
2013 C250
7,273 Posts
Sorry, I got rid of the 06 ML350 close to time when intermittent climate control problems began.

·
Registered
2006 ML500
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So for those who care or want to do this repair
I ended up removing the climate control unit and taking it apart. no reprogramming needed unless you replace the unit
it was a PITA to take apart though. Mine is a 3 zone so possibly a bit more complicated
something must've been loose in it because I could'nt find any problems on the circuit board, so I put it back together and the problem appears to be fixed
will keep an eye on it for the next few days...

·
Registered
2006 ML 350 (my first Benz)
95 Posts
I have an 06 ML350 and have this exact problem, but only for the passsanger side control. I have found if a squeeze the knob and turn it slowly, only one or two clicks at a time, I have reasonable success. Kinda BS for what we pay for these cars, but the alternative is too expensive for me right now. And, it doesnt do it all the time. HOWEVER....I do seem to get colder air when I ask for 72 degrees on the driver side. Summer is almost here, so Im not too concerend right now.

·
Registered
2006 ML 350 (my first Benz)
95 Posts
thetrance,

when you say "climate control unit", do you mean the actual control panel in the dash, or were you able to just take the knob apart and leave the unit in the dash?

I may tackle mine today or next weekend.
Any help is appreciated

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had that same problem on my 06 ML. When I took it in for other service, they applied a software update and the problem was solved. There was no separate charge for that.

·
Registered
ML500
57 Posts
I believe that the error must be a little more on the hardware that on the software. Anyhow, what software update was that made to your car?

·
Registered
ML500
57 Posts
Softw update

Hi guys, I went for a Service C to the car and asked for the software update. Indeed there were some "packages" that needed update. Nevertheless this, as I expected, didnt helped on the knob issue. I took the unit apart and I can confirm that disconnecting it does not require any code or anything. Next time I split the thing apart I will take some time to actually dissemble the knob and see what I can find.

Regards!

·
Registered
1 Posts
ML500 Climate Control

I have discovered the same problem with the knob on my climate control panel. I'm toying with replacing the whole thing, but before I do, I'll try what's suggested above. I'll write back and let you all know my progress as I work through this. Thank you all for the suggestion.

·
Registered
2006 ML500
1 Posts
I found that if I pull outwards on the passenger side temperature knob, that it works like it should about 90% of the time. It feels like there is a connection that is loose, like the contacts aren't making contact unless I pull them tight...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello,
Excuse me for my bad language, I'm French :grin

I had the same problem on a w164 ML 320 CDI 2006.
My solution:
1 / Remove the case.
2 / open the plastic box.
3 / extract the electronic board of the plastic box.
Be careful, take your time. There are small plastic hooks.
With patience it must come without forcing and without any breaks.
4 / the problem is the two small micro switch.
I have use a spray for contacts that worked very well more small movements to the right and then left to do well penetrate the product.
5 / Reassemble!
I think that the problem is the point of contact, from the end of the mico switch track. is it an electric arc. (small :) ) which over time creates oxidation, which blocks the contact. With the spray and the movements must eliminate this. I would see if revien quickly with time ...
Philippe from France
( Please correct my spelling mistakes....)

Attachments

·
Registered
ML500
57 Posts
This is fantastic thanks!! So you believe the whole problem is just gunk (dirt) getting inside of the unit?

Cheers

1 - 20 of 31 Posts