Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I have a 2006 ML350, 72,000km. Vehicle is in great condition, but the engine light came on and off intermittently over the last month. Had the error codes checked. P0016 and P0017 right bank, intake and exhaust. Is this a big fix? I've seen some threads on cam sensors to magnets, to timing chains worn out. Any insight that anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated. Trying to get this repaired without it costing me a fortune. Drives great, no issues in performance. Where to start? Thx in advance for your help.
Fab1060

·
Registered
99 E430, 01 E430 Sport, 00 SL500
3,266 Posts
It looks like your car got 4 sensors
# P0016 Crankshaft Position - Camshaft Position Correlation (Bank 1 Sensor A)
# P0017 Crankshaft Position - Camshaft Position Correlation (Bank 1 Sensor B)
# P0018 Crankshaft Position - Camshaft Position Correlation (Bank 2 Sensor A)
# P0019 Crankshaft Position - Camshaft Position Correlation (Bank 2 Sensor B)
It's unlikely for 2 sensors on the same bank to go intermittently bad but I'd still try to rule out the sensors by swapping 2 sensors on bank 1 to bank 2 and bank 2 to bank 1. Clear the code, drive to see if bank 2 gets the code.
According to google, the sensor may look like this
ml350 crankshaft sensor - Google Search
Where are the sensors? How hard to remove them? Go to the forum of your ML to ask.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thx mbvis. I'm gonig to try that. I know the sensors are on the front of the engine, I can see them. However I dont know which one represents bank 1 or 2 or A/B. How do I find the ml forum? If not the sensors, where do I go from there. Are there known issues like this? I've heard timing chain which makes me nervous because this truck has been babied.

thx for your help.
Fab

·
Registered
99 E430, 01 E430 Sport, 00 SL500
3,266 Posts
Bank 1 is usually on the side of cylinder 1. Cylinder number should be marked on the engine block at the cylinder opening. The wiring to/from sensor may hint which is which.
For your ML, click here
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/
Scroll down to vans/trucks/..., it's shown as W164

1 - 5 of 5 Posts