Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2020 MB GLE 450 4MATIC, 2015 BMW M4
2,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got the brochure today. Very nicely done. 35 pages. Here are some selected pages. The color selection page does not show well in the scan.

Attachments

·
Registered
07 s550 4matic black/black
240 Posts
thanks, mate. you seem to know a lot about these suvs. question: in pix 2,3 (what looks to me like pewter coloured svus) rear end views --> what the hell is that stainless steel looking plate wedged in between the two exhaust pipes? it looks awful! it sticks out like a sore thumb and that is on a fairly light coloured svu! can you imagine what it would look like on a dark colour (black, navy blue)? wow! is there going to be any option to colour-key whatever that thing is to the rest of the body? damn! looks great other than that!

i have to admit ,,, i've summarily dismissed these new svus in the past (up until three weeks ago when i started reading this 2006 ml forum) in favour of the new s coming out next year. but ,,, the more i read and the more i study the pix, i have to admit (save for that ugly stainless steel looking plate referenced above), i like it. A LOT!

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
RE: 2006 ML "ugly steel plate:

ajm0623 - 3/26/2005 4:37 PM

thanks, mate. you seem to know a lot about these suvs. question: in pix 2,3 (what looks to me like pewter coloured svus) rear end views --> what the hell is that stainless steel looking plate wedged in between the two exhaust pipes? it looks awful! it sticks out like a sore thumb and that is on a fairly light coloured svu! can you imagine what it would look like on a dark colour (black, navy blue)? wow! is there going to be any option to colour-key whatever that thing is to the rest of the body? damn! looks great other than that!
That is a stainless steel "skid plate"--it's supposed to make the vehicle look rugged, though it's functionality is qustionable. I don't mind it. It is not standard on the 350. I assume it could be removed if present.

·
Registered
240 Posts
oh. i guess i just revealed my off road ignorance! thanks for setting me straight!

i just now went over to mbusa/ 2006 ml "build your own." and i can see the difference (between the 350 and the 500) with and without the skid plate. still ugly in my opinion ,,, rugged or not.

i would hope that if i buy a 500 (leaning that way ,,, well, until now!) the dealer could swap out the 500 skid plate for the more conservative 350 plate.

you must think i'm nuts. thanks for the help!

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
RE: Skid plates

ajm0623 - 3/26/2005 5:05 PM

oh. i guess i just revealed my off road ignorance! thanks for setting me straight!

i just now went over to mbusa/ 2006 ml "build your own." and i can see the difference (between the 350 and the 500) with and without the skid plate. still ugly in my opinion ,,, rugged or not.

i would hope that if i buy a 500 (leaning that way ,,, well, until now!) the dealer could swap out the 500 skid plate for the more conservative 350 plate.

you must think i'm nuts. thanks for the help!
You're nuts! The skid plates (front & rear) are just thin stainless pieces that are bonded to the front and rear valances. I doubt the can be removed without damaging the underlying plastic piece. You could probably find someone to trade bumper covers with you, but that's R/R is a pain and shipping is tough. You could paint the stainless, but it will be subject to chipping. I'd just learn to love it!

Attachments

·
Registered
2007 GL320CDI
357 Posts
Thanks Greg. Very nice brochure. Can't wait to get mine.

agm...I drove a 500 in pewter on Thursday and I must say that the rear skid plate looks great! It doesn't stick out as much as you might think.

·
Registered
240 Posts
that's cool. i guess i should (have) reserve(d) my opinion until i actually see one up close. guess i better get up of my arse and go to the dealer. thanks for the input! this thing is growing on me every time i see it!

question: do you have any trepidations about buying a first (model) year production? i bought the new e-class back in 2003 (intro year) and luckily have had zero problems with it ... others? ... not so much or so i read. i guess i was fortunate.

i would hope that with all the negative press that benzo has received lately, that they took extra care in building this ml class so as to begin mitigating the continued (perceived) quality problems. any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ajm0623 - 3/27/2005 5:04 AM

that's cool. i guess i should (have) reserve(d) my opinion until i actually see one up close. guess i better get up of my arse and go to the dealer. thanks for the input! this thing is growing on me every time i see it!

question: do you have any trepidations about buying a first (model) year production? i bought the new e-class back in 2003 (intro year) and luckily have had zero problems with it ... others? ... not so much or so i read. i guess i was fortunate.

i would hope that with all the negative press that benzo has received lately, that they took extra care in building this ml class so as to begin mitigating the continued (perceived) quality problems. any thoughts on this?
It's almost always riskier getting a first year model (exception, my 1st year M3--second year had some bearing problems). My first year W163 had a few niggling issues at first, but has been very reliable since.

Hopefully, with the Alabama plant upgrades and the relationships M-B has established with suppliers, this one will be right out of the box. I think you're right that they can't afford reliability issues again with the ML, and are taking extra care. That may be the cause of the mind-year release.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts