Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
E320 CDI, 2005
7 Posts
Hey Tyrone, you may have already found it, but SChalmers did a great writeup on removing the engine from their car: M113 engine removal thread

I have a similar thread going (Upgrade a 430 to a more powerful engine?), as I've just acquired a 2004 S430 with a blown engine. Tusabes is correct (as far as my research has informed me), the non-supercharged 5.4l AMG engine is a direct replacement for the 430, just like you were putting a different 430 engine back in the car. But apparently the supercharged engine (M113k) requires some additional work - it's still in the M113 engine family, so it will physically bolt in, but there are other complications (I'm not really interested in the supercharged engine, so haven't really looked into it much). If you are looking for more than the 350hp from the 5.4l engine, probably your easiest route will be sourcing a Kleeman supercharger kit. I believe it would even work on your 430, but would of course make more power on the 5.0 or 5.4l engines. But good luck with your research! Please keep us posted if you find anything noteworthy, or especially if you decide to do the swap, there doesn't seem to be a ton of evidence of people doing this in the W215/W220 chassis cars.

·
W220 Moderator
6,040 Posts
Hi,

I am absolutely certain that to get the best out of it you will need to rewrite the Flash File (maps) within the 4.3 ECU with a clone of the 5.4 litre Engines ECU Flash File.
That is your fastest easiest way to do this particular swap.

It is not enough to just change the Version Coding in the ME 2.8 as my current R170 3.2l M112 V6 to 5.0l M113 V8 swap project has proved ....................

You cannot just swap the ME 2.8 ECU units without either cloning the Immobilser Eeprom File from your 4.3 Cars ECU to the 5.4 ECU or Virginising the 5.4 ECU and then using SDS to do an "Initial Start Up, and Version Coding via Developer mode ;)

To do all of this you require a Programmer Machine, and for the "Initial Start Up" Virginised ECU method you will need SDS, which of course you should have if you own any post 1998 MB ;)

HTH,

·
Registered
Too many to list
8,678 Posts
Oetuning.com sells a flash loader that plugs into obd port and offers several tunes for these cars.

·
Registered
E320 CDI, 2005
7 Posts
I am eagerly awaiting some further discussion on this. I will fully admit to not knowing very much about engine management electronics, but, I've done some research, and everything I've read has lead me to believe that the M113s are all a perfect substitute for each other (barring the M113k), since they are the same engine externally, just with different bores and strokes. My main concern, after doing some reading on the W202s (very popular to swap a C43 to an E55 powerplant), was if it would bolt up easily to the 7g-tronic, but apparently it does (makes sense, keeping all of the parts in the bellhousing of the new transmission the same as the old would have saved a ton of headache in manufacturing, I'm sure). Lots of C43s with a 5.4l engine dropped in with not a single other change. I haven't found out much about it in other platforms, but since the M113 itself didn't really change, it stands to reason that the swap should be similarly straightforward - surely much, much less work than swapping an M112 to an M113.

At any rate, I'll likely be attempting it very soon, as I'm finally picking up my 2004 S430 with a blown engine in the morning and dragging it home, and have plans to put in an engine from a 2001-2002 CL/S55. I figure, why not? If it just won't work out, I can pull the $900 AMG engine out, sell it, and get a $500 4.3l and just have a nice, normal S-Class. I hope to be able to do at least a small writeup on it, as I'm sure W220s with blown M113s, while they'll never be common, will become more prevalent as they get into the mileage stratosphere.

·
W220 Moderator
6,040 Posts
Do you have SDS ?

Are you going to do, or get someone else to do the Programming / Flash File and Version Coding correctly ?

Anyone can swap a Motor, the trick is in doing it correctly, so it runs properly and integrates with everything else in the car.

·
Registered
E320 CDI, 2005
7 Posts
I don't have SDS, but, I live in a big city and know a few people, so I could get that done. But, what about it will need programming? Since I've yet to find a writeup of the swap (other than for W202s, which are literal plug-and-play, no programming, nothing), I know there will be a few things I just have to figure out as I go. I would think the computer should think everything is fine, other than that it moves a little quicker now and uses a bit more fuel. A proper tune would help it out, I'm sure, but I bet it would run pretty well without one.

·
W220 Moderator
6,040 Posts
So you guys are trying to tell me that the Fuel and Ignition Mapping, plus some Version Codings are the same for a 4.3 vs 5.5 litre motor ?? .....................

Sorry folks, but that's just plain rubbish, I absolutely know this for a fact !!

Also, as I'm sure you must know, it doesn't work trying to plug and play the 5.4 ECU as that would need Drive Authorisation issues sorting because that ECU will not Crank or Start the Car.

I'm not saying it won't start and run on 4.3 ECU, but it definitely won't run as it should !!

With the right equipment (that doesn't cost a fortune btw), it is easy enough to Write the correct Flash File into the 4.3 ECU, then use SDS for the Version Coding, so .............

IMHO either do the job right or it's just yet another botched conversion that isn't right.

HTH,

·
Registered
Too many to list
8,678 Posts
They don’t swap ecu when doing the 4.3 to 5.5 , they just swap the bare engine . You retain the 4.3 ecu

this conversion has already been done , dozens of times , by the c43 guys putting in the 5.5 with no re mapping and absolutely no programming . It proceeds exactly the same in the s430 as the c43. You can of course tune it for maximum potential but it will directly swap and run just fine even if you do no tuning

·
W220 Moderator
6,040 Posts
I'm not saying it won't start and run on 4.3 ECU, but it definitely won't run as it should !!
Loads of folks who claimed they knew what they were doing ordered Deepwater Horizon to keep drilling

🤣 :ROFLMAO: 🤣

🚪

1 - 13 of 13 Posts