Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
I just bought a 2006 E350 and need some help. When I push the NAV button, it says "Navigation device unavailable". Does this mean that it doesn't have the navigation option? How can I find out if it has the navigation stuff installed? The only thing I saw was a little antena on the back.
Thanks in advance for all the help.

Regards,
S.M

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
10,910 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Your window sticker should have the information; if it wasn't passed on to you (it is often included in the owners manual packet), then an authorized dealer can check the vehicle data card for equipment through Mercedes, using the VIN.

Or, you could take a look at your owners manual for information on where to insert a nav DVD. If the nav DVD reader is not present, you don't have it - but you can add it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Skylaw, thanks a lot for the reply. Since it's my very first mercedes (had it delivered last nite around 10 pm CST), I'm not familiar with it at all. I did lookup a lot of stuff online and read a little bit in the owners manual. One thing I do know is that there is no dvd unit in the trunk (except the wiring harness). I kept thinking that the head unit had a built-in dvd unit (or at least it looks like it) and that I could buy the DVD from online and setup the navigation. Now equipped with all this "KNOWLEDGE" I started looking for the navigation dvd unit and it just so happens that one is listed online for the same exact model year. Now I'm trying to figure out where I can find the mounting kit for it (the guy just has the drive unit and the installation DVD). Also, if I can get everything installed, would I have to go to the dealership to have them re-program something?
Again, thanks for all your help.

·
Registered
'07 GL320CDI
5,098 Posts
I haven't actually checked, but I imagine there is a WIS procedure for retrofitting NAV. It should list all parts and procedures required. Dealer participation is definitely required. Think about the antenna, too.

It will be worth your efffort to subscribe for 24 hours, during which time you can download as many procedures, dealer technical bulletins, etc. as you wish. Have lots of printer paper, or better yet a pdf writer.

WIS = workshop information system, i.e. the Mercedes "service manual" system. It's all electronic.

start at http://www.startekinfo.com

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Kent. I found couple of other posts that have step by step installation instructions. But I like the idea of getting the 24hr sub at WIS as they have waaay more info available.
Appreciate all your help.

·
Registered
2006 E350 Black on Black
12 Posts
Photo of 06 E350 navigation unit?

Hi ijdftoo,

Congrats on your new purchase. I just took ownership of a 06 E350 3 days ago and have the same question about the navigation unit. (See attached photo). I don't know if this is the dvd unit or just the harness? Skylaw maybe you could tell me. I do not have the window sticker and the manual really does show the trunk unit. Looks like I better spend some time at the dealer going over the car. Thanks for any help you guys can give.

Wet

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Hi ijdftoo,

Congrats on your new purchase. I just took ownership of a 06 E350 3 days ago and have the same question about the navigation unit. (See attached photo). I don't know if this is the dvd unit or just the harness? Skylaw maybe you could tell me. I do not have the window sticker and the manual really does show the trunk unit. Looks like I better spend some time at the dealer going over the car. Thanks for any help you guys can give.

Wet
Welcome aboard. Seems like we have got the same exact cars :) I noticed that my car doesn't have bluetooth either. Turns out that I would have to do a complete install for bluetooth also (thats if I can spend another $1000). In any case, the picture that you have is just the wiring harness. You would have to get the navigation DVD unit that goes in the trunk right next to that wiring harness. I highly recommend that you check out the follwing post on mbworld.org (I learned everything from that post within last 24hrs. I got my car last nite at 10pm :)
OEM Navigation Retrofit w/ pics - MBWorld.org Forums

Another member sent me some info about getting parts from the mercedes dealership in OH. Supposedly they can even beat the parts.com prices. I will let you know how that goes once I hear from the dealership guy.

Regards,
Malik

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
By the way, mbdoctor.com has the complete kit listed for $1350. I called local Houston dealers today and got a price of $1499+labor & $2049 from the second one. I don't know why there is a such a big price difference between the dealers.... but thats what I've got so far. Quote for complete bluetooth install was around $1500 from the mercedes dealer.

·
Registered
2006 E350 Black on Black
12 Posts
By the way, mbdoctor.com has the complete kit listed for $1350. I called local Houston dealers today and got a price of $1499+labor & $2049 from the second one. I don't know why there is a such a big price difference between the dealers.... but thats what I've got so far. Quote for complete bluetooth install was around $1500 from the mercedes dealer.
Thanks for the information. After looking at the description of the car from the dealer it did not include the nag system in the listing. I will check local costs to install the system. $1500-$2000. ouch!

I bought my 06 E350 with 20,400 miles for a great price. 1/2 of what it sold for originally.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts