Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been searching around and I could find the answer I'm looking for so I'm asking this question.

What type of oil do you recommend for a 2006 E350? I wanted to know of the recommended brand and most importantly, what viscosity my car takes. I've called in 46 local dealers around my area and they've given me all different gauges. Just wanted to see what people in this forum has to say.

Also, a few places have recommended the Mobil 1 5W-40, but when I went to the store, the label says its for diesel engines. That can't be right, can it? Thank you.

·
Premium Member
11,367 Posts
Look for any make of oil which meets MB specification MB 229.5

If compliant, it will state this on the label of the can.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Make absolutely certain the oil SAYS MB 229.5 or 229.51 spec on the label. Other than that, the lower the viscosity, the less friction and better mileage you will get.

It is NOT just about viscosity it is about additives. This has been discussed here at length. Do a search for gory details. Pay particular attention to posts by a contributor named drivbiwire ...

·
Premium Member
17,193 Posts
Before I finally found a dealer who stocks the Mobil1 ESP 5W40 (MB Spec 229.51) I could not find it anywhere except for a place online, AV Lubricants in Ohio. The problem there is that they only sell it by a case of 6 and I only needed it to add a quart every 700+ miles. I also found what you did, and that is for diesels only, as far as I know.

MB started recommending the 5W40 and the dealers were required to use it for oil changes, beginning at some point in 2007. The last I heard from the dealer selling the 5W40 is that MB is now recommending they return to the 0W40 (readily available here at WalMart, etc.) because customers cannot find it anywhere!

·
Registered
10,427 Posts
229.51 is low ash oil that is needed for cars with diesel particulate filter. It can be used on gassers but 229.5 should be equally fine for gas engines.

·
Registered
3 Posts
adding motor oil

is it normal to have to add motor oil every 1000 miles or so?
I have to add a qt usually 2 times between oil changes.
thanks
rob

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
That's an awful lot of MB dealers in LA, I'm impressed !!
5w40 Mobil 1 European formula at one of the 46 dealers for about $7.00/QT, the 0W40 European Formula can also be used but it costs more at an auto parts store, do not use the diesel Mobil 1 5w40.

·
Registered
478 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Before I finally found a dealer who stocks the Mobil1 ESP 5W40 (MB Spec 229.51) I could not find it anywhere except for a place online, AV Lubricants in Ohio. The problem there is that they only sell it by a case of 6 and I only needed it to add a quart every 700+ miles. I also found what you did, and that is for diesels only, as far as I know.

MB started recommending the 5W40 and the dealers were required to use it for oil changes, beginning at some point in 2007. The last I heard from the dealer selling the 5W40 is that MB is now recommending they return to the 0W40 (readily available here at WalMart, etc.) because customers cannot find it anywhere!
Thanks for your post. I found the Mobil1 0W40 at my local WalMart on special. (5-quart container for $27).

·
Registered
833 Posts
Thanks for your post. I found the Mobil1 0W40 at my local WalMart on special. (5-quart container for $27).
You're replying to a message that's 7 years old. They started carrying it a few years back.

You mind as well send in for a $12 rebate. Long thread discussed here. Basically although Walmart isn't listed as participating, they did it the last time and you'll probably get it this time too. Rebate expires May 31st 2015.

5qt. Mobil 1 Full Synthetic Motor Oil: From $15 after $12 Rebate (in Walmart Stores) 03-03-2015 - Slickdeals.net

·
Registered
2 Posts
You're replying to a message that's 7 years old. They started carrying it a few years back.

You mind as well send in for a $12 rebate. Long thread discussed here. Basically although Walmart isn't listed as participating, they did it the last time and you'll probably get it this time too. Rebate expires May 31st 2015.

5qt. Mobil 1 Full Synthetic Motor Oil: From $15 after $12 Rebate (in Walmart Stores) 03-03-2015 - Slickdeals.net
Thank you, CetiAlpha5. I submitted my request for the rebate. I appreciate the help.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts