Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

61 - 80 of 210 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
I did replace my coolant tank with new MB and it did have a chem pack in it. Check with FCP euro.
John
OK, so I've taken a hard look inside and... Viola! There is indeed some sort of chemical pack inside. So apparently, the particular MB tech I spoke with originally was unaware.

So I called the dealership back and talked to the service manager. He was aware of the chem pack and told me that what it does is provide a sacrificial place to oxidation to occur instead of in the engine/radiator. He said it is not for extending the life of the coolant, but just for internal chemical reaction protection. HE also said that is does give some protection if people use tap water instead of distilled. And yes, it should be replaced when the fluid is changed, assuming the fluid made it a normal service interval. I still can't find it in the STAR service manual, which is disappointing.

I'll still stick to my guns and say there is no way coolant should get pushed to 15 years unless the vehicle is not driven very much. I get to 150K miles in 4ish years, so that pretty much meets the 5 years service life for G-05 per Prestone's specs. And if the fluid manufacturer says 5 years, then its 5 years, regardless of miles.

So, now I know for sure.

·
Registered
35,666 Posts
Following MB recommendations is religion and you can't come to resolution.
I made my mind years ago and I follow MB oil changes recommendations even when my ML was hauling trailers on dino oils and FSS gave it 13k miles.
I don't use Zerex and I don't rush coolant replacement.
Fact is that first generation of 15 years coolant are just turning `15 years old and I don't blame MB technician that he has never seen this animal yet.

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
You can also use the newer G-48 "blue" fluid, which came out in (I think) 2008. Think of it as the new Zerex G-05. You can use either. Furthermore, both are compatible with each other if you just really like green. :)

What do I use? Whichever one of those two is on sale. :wink

It's much like how 722.6 five-speed transmissions were originally spec'ed for 236.10 ATF, though 236.14, the later and 722.9-friendly formulation, is also spec'ed as correct by M-B themselves for 722.6. All of my cars have 722.6's. I started out with 236.10. However, since I can get Shell ATF 134 for $7.00/bottle at the distributors, I just use that now.

·
Registered
35,666 Posts
Again, it is religion. Some owners use Zerex only as this saves $5 over MB coolant.
I read too many topics with engine overheating issues and too often it turned out Zerex was involved.
Maybe my impression is biased, maybe not, but for 5 bucks I am not going to Guinea pig.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Again, it is religion. Some owners use Zerex only as this saves $5 over MB coolant.
I read too many topics with engine overheating issues and too often it turned out Zerex was involved.
Maybe my impression is biased, maybe not, but for 5 bucks I am not going to Guinea pig.
Thanks Kajtek1. Very interesting discussion. This forced me to take the time to look closely at this. The guys here may already know what I'm about to spew. I'll just go with the MB fluid... if I can. I'm not that interested in the $5 savings... obviously. My only coolant flush that was done at this point was done by the dealership many miles ago (at least 4 years ago perhaps), so yes, they used MB coolant. It is green, so it is the 325.0 spec that is equivalent to G-05. Below is the spec sheet from the manual. At the bottom, it shows the Zerex fluid, which is part of the MB spec.

As far as cooling goes, all the MB spec coolants are 99% ethylene glycol, minus the water, with the 1% being additives. So the heat transfer capability of each one is identical. Zero difference. So the only thing that can make for a problem is the additive package, which is about anti-corrosion and anti-oxidation.

If you get incompatible additives, you can have a BIG problem. Zerex G-05 uses a HOAT additive package, as does the MB 325.0 spec fluid. But it does appear that the the newer 325.0 MB fluid is akin to the Zerex G-48 spec, both of which also use a HOAT additive package. Regardless, all should be compatible and not cause any reaction with each other, as they are on the factory spec list. Is one as good as the other for protection? I don't know.

One thing to be careful of that I need to look into more - The newer MB coolant that is pink (325.5 spec) that uses a Si-OAT additive package that is NOT compatible with the original 325.0 spec coolants that use HOAT additives. It does look like I can get the 325.0 spec from FCP Euro, so it must be available. It is the Blue, so it is the G-48 equivalent.

But point taken and I'll do a bit more research.

Attachments

·
Registered
894 Posts
iv'e never had any issue with Zerex. My guess is anyone that's run into any issues aren't allowing their engine to burp itself, which results in the cooling system being under filled.

I always remove the upper radiator hose at the rad, and add coolant into that hose into the block. greatly reduces the amount of burping that has to be done.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
iv'e never had any issue with Zerex. My guess is anyone that's run into any issues aren't allowing their engine to burp itself, which results in the cooling system being under filled.

I always remove the upper radiator hose at the rad, and add coolant into that hose into the block. greatly reduces the amount of burping that has to be done.
Which is exactly why I just purchased the vacuum filling system. Takes all the "I think I got the air out" doubt. I'll report back on how well it works once I use it. Based on what I'm hearing from those that have them, it seems like it's the way to go these days since we no longer have old school radiator caps and expansion on the top of the radiators.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
I think that leak point is pretty common. That's the mixing chamber to intake gasket. The bolt spacing is a bit large. It's not a terribly hard job- just take some time. I did mine without draining the coolant.
The gasket is a thin stainless with a coating of teflon to "seal".

Michael
I just finished up the mixer pipe gasket replacement task. As you said, it's not super hard... but it is a time eater. Plenty of bolts that are a bit difficult to get to and get retorqued properly. Wobble extension are your friends on this one. And man, the mess that had to be cleaned down the charge air pipe. I think I went through nearly a full bottle of simple green.

The mixer pipe wasn't as gunked up internally as I would have thought after 320K miles.

Unfortunately, she was down for 4 days because when I ordered my seals, I forgot the gasket for the exhaust gas cooler/manifold interface and I started the job on a Friday evening and the only place I could find that $4 gasket was through a dealer. So I had to wait on that part to finish the assembly. Doh!

Attachments

·
Registered
255 Posts
Just replaced my diesel return lines between injectors and to the fuel filter. Easy job. Are you sure yours are still pliable? My 06 has only 118k miles and the rubber was hard and had to be cut off the nipples.

John

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
Just replaced my diesel return lines between injectors and to the fuel filter. Easy job. Are you sure yours are still pliable? My 06 has only 118k miles and the rubber was hard and had to be cut off the nipples.

John
That's what you meant when you said fuel lines in the previous post. I thought you meant the main rubber lines off the filter.

You are right, those are getting stiff, especially those that were covered in black death. Where does that hose go to exactly that comes off the rear Tee. I haven't chased it. To the fuel filter somehow?

·
Registered
255 Posts
Yes, the rear hose goes to what I think is a banjo bolt that leads to the fuel filter. Not too difficult to get to.

John

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
Yes, the rear hose goes to what I think is a banjo bolt that leads to the fuel filter. Not too difficult to get to.

John
Where can I get that fancy braid covered hose? The dealership only sells the entire thing as an assembly... for $225. That's one of those ridiculously high priced parts. I guess I should do the o-rings on the fittings as well, but those too are not listed as a part. I can go get them sized at an o-ring supplier. I don't know the original material, but Viton is compatible with diesel and good for 205F.

EDIT - Never mind! Looks like RPEuropean.com carries the hose at $5 per meter. I also found complete assemblies on E-bay. The MB Part number for the assembly is 6480700632.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
For the Injector drain hose-
@hangit

So when I check the "fitment" of this hose by this suppliers website and I check it on E-bay for the same thing via their fitment guide, both say that this hose is NOT compatible with the 2006 E320 CDI. But this almost has to be the right hose, as the original is definitely 7mm OD Contitech cloth covered hose. How many of this type of hose can there possibly be? Comments?

https://www.rmeuropean.com/Products/6050780581-MFG5021.aspx?LineItemId=6c597f57-8136-4d84-ae31-1923dd5d93db

·
Registered
167 Posts
orings are easy to get- you can look at a well-stocked hardware store or order online. There are online resources for material compatiblity with fuels. I think NBR is common and good. Mcmaster-carr will have them if you can tag onto an order cheaply.

Please list your resource that you find and the size/part number.

Glad you go the gasket installed....

61 - 80 of 210 Posts
About this Discussion
209 Replies
19 Participants
smyers
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing