Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, after experiencing my first benz three weeks ago, bought a 2004 e320 sw4, i figured i would keep looking for my (the wagon for wife) B-on-B CDI,
found it, 2006 CDI with 13k on it for $32k, costing me $900 to have it shiped cross country, excited about the next 200k miles...

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why only 200k miles? Aren't you planning to keep the car past break-in period? ;)
Congratulations.
LOL, from your mouth to my car's ears!!! thanks, very excited, i loved the tdi, but in the end with a 01m tranny buckin and rev'n, i knew the time was near to get out, so i bought that gasser e320sw, but after driving it around a bit, i knew i would hated the mpg and the lack of the torque, so im grateful to have found such a low miler and being black-on-black was the icing on the cake..

·
Registered
55 Posts
CDI and Bluetec E-320's are awesome cars. You'll love it. Get the KD-Box really makes the car come alive.

·
Registered
55 Posts
A tuning box from Kleemann. It is a great plug and play box. Monitors fuel, pressure, etc. -- it is great for making the car more responsive.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Congratulations!

After waiting 3 years I'm finally getting mine as well, its in New Jersey, I'm leaving tomorrow to pick it up and bring it to Canada. I have 2 TDI Jettas a 2004 and a 2006, 2004 sport edition TDI will have to go unfortunately, I have loved the TDI's but have always dreamt of the CDI smoothness, the common rail is great.

The one that I picked up is white with gray interior, xenons, navi and harmon kardon sound, it has 73k miles i.e. 117k kms and its 2005 one owner off lease for $19,900 US after paying duties/taxes/mod cost/dollar conversion it'll be around $26000 CAN, I wanted to go with something less expansive high mileage so I can modify it.

I plan to remap the ecu i.e. chip tune it with either vrp tuning or custom tuning from EMT Tuning here in Canada this tuning will up the HP/TQ by 20-30%, 430 lb/ft of torque and change the suspension to bilstein sport shocks and H&R sport springs, put some replica AMG wheels in the summer etc and maybe change the interior trim to Avantgarde that offered in 2009 model year cars.

I'm all excited....

·
Registered
55 Posts
Consider the KD-Box -- similar figures for about 1k, and you can take it out of the car when done. Its plug and play.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Consider the KD-Box -- similar figures for about 1k, and you can take it out of the car when done. Its plug and play.

Nice but remap is cheaper, I'll still look into the KD Box. On the VW's I know these power boxes resulted in access smoke when accelerating or pushing the car, I don't know how it'll work on the benz.

·
Registered
55 Posts
No smoking works as if it was factory installed. Multiple settings 1 through 7 I believe. Great piece of equipment.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I doubt it since my MB dealer sold me the box, and installed it. Also MB of Atlanta I know is a dealer. I doubt they would sell something that voids the warranty. They told me it would not.

·
Registered
75 Posts
WOW and I tough I bought my high mileage 2005 cheap.
Read my topic about injector seals before you accept the car.
Thanks Kajtek1 for a very inforamtive thread, I will make sure I have the injector seals checked along with the rest of the car before I finalize the deal. I have short listed 3 cars, they're all in New Jersey since I'll be in Jersey for 1 week I thought I'll try to get one from there.

The other 2 are 2006 one with 41k miles and another with 48k miles, theyr'e both $25000 US, the one I'm more inclined towards and have already put a deposit down subject to mechanical/test drive approval, is the one wit 73k miles and $20000 US.

20k US comes out to be 23k CAN dollars and then I'll pay 19.1% in duties and taxes and another $800 to replace the dash cluster from miles to kms. So at the end of the day it'll cost me close to $28000 Canadian but I'll still save almost $10000 becasue you can't find one in Canada with similar mileage and color choice/options for less than $38000 canadian.

Just thought I give this breakdown in case someone else is planning to do the same.

Atif

·
Registered
142 Posts
Atif,
Is the cluster the only major item that needs changing to get the CDI legal for Ontario? I read that importing a US Benz and getting it ok'd for Canada was a real pain and that Benz Canada was not too helpful and costly to deal with when it came to US cars?
I am in Toronto and considered doing same as you.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Atif,
Is the cluster the only major item that needs changing to get the CDI legal for Ontario? I read that importing a US Benz and getting it ok'd for Canada was a real pain and that Benz Canada was not too helpful and costly to deal with when it came to US cars?
I am in Toronto and considered doing same as you.
Well, did you call Benz Canada to find out yourself. I got a letter of admissibility from Benz Canada that states the car is admissible into Canada, I will post more next week when I'm back. Right now all I'm looking at is $500 inspection to get compliance letter from benz canada and thats all, It is upto me to change the cluster but is not necessary.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Since you can go in the display and change your settings to show information in metric instead of U.S., I don't think that you need to change the instrument cluster. If you received your letter from M-B Canada, you should be good to go to import and register your car.
If you have problems with Mercedes-Benz Canada, PM me and I can give you names of contacts at their Corporate Office.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
About this Discussion
34 Replies
8 Participants
philfna
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing