Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2006 E320 CDI with over 105K miles I bought the car used (one Owner) and love it. Recently I noticed vibration of the front wheels when applying the brakes arround 60 mph. No vibration below 50 mph. Reading the forum I have learned a lot and do know that these vehicles have issue with SBC. Do I have a SBC issue? The local dealer wants to charge me for inspection and if SBC is the issue he will replace under warranty. If not I will have to pay for the inspection and repair. So please let me know your views on this issue. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
22,135 Posts
It could be warped rotors. The previous owner may have reused them and now they are below the nominal thickness threshold where the heat cycling can cause a warping of the rotors. Which then leads to a vibration at various speeds.
The rotor thickness should be measured before paying a dealer $120 dollars to tell you the rotors may be junk.
Good tire and brake shops can do this for under $40.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for quick reply I will check them but why the problem surfaced after driving almost 25000 miles?

·
Registered
E350 4M 06
2,744 Posts
Ditto Warped rotors
Does it vibrate when the rotors are cold? or does it get worse after repeated braking at high speed?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Problem is same if the rotors are cold or warm. If I press and release brake pedal repeatedly (similar to Pumping) the vibration are not as severe as if I held down the brake pedal down.
What are the warning signs that the SBC unit is failing?

·
Registered
E350 4M 06
2,744 Posts
A big red warning on your dash.
This does not sound like a SBC problem, if the problem is there while rotors are cold, you should be able to measure runout with the runout gage, anything over 0.002 inches will cause vibration. When confirmed, replace rotors.

·
Super Moderator
22,135 Posts
Thanks for quick reply I will check them but why the problem surfaced after driving almost 25000 miles?
Because the pads ate off more rotor material over that mileage and by getting thinner they
become more prone to warping.

·
Registered
2004 E320
307 Posts
Instead of paying dealer for inspection i would buy brand new rotors and pads and replace them

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Super Moderator
22,135 Posts
What if just throwing parts at it does not fix the problem?

Most likely you are correct and it will get new rotors and pads, but it is good peace of mind to
know what is causing the problem.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts