Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2005 E320 CDI; 2009 ML320 Bluetec(sold); 2006 E320 CDI (totaled, RIP)
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently had my 2006 E320 in for it's service. I received a call stating I needed the front brakes replaced as they were at less than 5%. Rotors and pads at around $600.

I did not have any warning lights indicating any issues nor any noise while braking so I told them to pass on the front brakes but do the rest of the service and add a front set of tires that were worn.

After I got the car back from service last week, I noticed some wear noise from the front brakes and decided that maybe they were in need of replacement. I had an exhaust strap that was ordered due to a low rattle sound at 1,000 to 1,100 RPM that needed to be ordered as it wasn't in stock when I had the service done. I figured I'd have them install the exhaust strap and take care of the brakes.

Picked up the car today and all is well except for a few items that are bugging me. I may be over reacting so I am asking for the forums input.

1. I asked for the VMI and was told that is was Mercedes policy that this was an internal document. I asked if it was Mercedes or the dealership policy and was told it was Mercedes. Is this accurate?

2. I noticed on the VMI print out that was attached to my paperwork (the copy of which I was not allowed to have) that the brakes and rotors (and some other brake services) were all performed at the original dealership I purchased the car from as a CPO vehicle. The car now had 102,000 miles on it. I mentioned to the SA that over 60% of the miles from the 67K service on the car were at interstate travelling between Houston and Austin. I asked if it was normal that the brakes pads/rotors would only last 35K miles. That's when all eye contact stopped.

I don't ride the brake pedal and I am not hard on brakes in my mostly highway driving. My gut says I got taken...anyone have any opinions if I might be over-reacting? I can't imagine MB brakes needing replacement at 35K miles of interstate (majority) driving.

Any input from the more knowledgeable here?

Thanks.

·
Registered
E350 4M 06
2,744 Posts
My brakes lasted a little under 100K miles with 70% highway driving and I don't baby my brakes.
I don't know if Texas has a law requiring the repair facility to return the replaced parts when requested by the customer, if such a law exists I suggest you call the dealer and ask for the old parts, then snap some pictures of the pads, measure the rotors and report back, we'll be able to tell you if they needed replacement or not.
Your vehicle should have at least 2 wear sensors and may be 3, if the pads wear down to a certain point the sensors will activate a message on your dash that alerts you to have the brakes serviced, did you see any messages?
My last comment is that brake life varies widely depending on a whole lot of factors, its really hard to predict how long they will last on a certain vehicle, it is possible that they needed replacement.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My brakes lasted a little under 100K miles with 70% highway driving and I don't baby my brakes.
I don't know if Texas has a law requiring the repair facility to return the replaced parts when requested by the customer, if such a law exists I suggest you call the dealer and ask for the old parts, then snap some pictures of the pads, measure the rotors and report back, we'll be able to tell you if they needed replacement or not.
Your vehicle should have at least 2 wear sensors and may be 3, if the pads wear down to a certain point the sensors will activate a message on your dash that alerts you to have the brakes serviced, did you see any messages?
My last comment is that brake life varies widely depending on a whole lot of factors, its really hard to predict how long they will last on a certain vehicle, it is possible that they needed replacement.
Well....damnit. I never got any notice on dash.

Guess I should have gone with my gut and asked to see them before I headed out. I will call, but with all the E320's they see, I doubt it would be hard to show me some worn items.

When I told them to investigate the low rpm rattle, they called back the first time and said it was motor mounts. I called BS and told them to check for the exhaust strap...suddenly I don't need motor mounts (they were replaced at 67K as well with transmission mounts per the records when I bought it as a CPO).

I'll call and meet with the dealership manager Monday.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Mine haven't been changed for about 30,000km they are in need of replacement now, the squeaking has begin and i know its time.

Will change in the next few weeks.

·
Registered
2006 E320 CDI
386 Posts
The brake pads on my 06 E320 CDI have over 45k miles and are barely half worn down. I drive with anticipation of whats ahead so I don't have to use brakes unless I come to a full stop. How long the pads and rotors last depends on the driver -- my wife's car needs pads normally at 30K and it is because of her foot and frequent brake usage.

·
Banned
2006 E320 CDI
932 Posts
The brake pads on my 06 E320 CDI have over 45k miles and are barely half worn down. I drive with anticipation of whats ahead so I don't have to use brakes unless I come to a full stop. How long the pads and rotors last depends on the driver -- my wife's car needs pads normally at 30K and it is because of her foot and frequent brake usage.
Same here, I changed rear ones around 78000, but the sensor was still intact, thus make me think that they probably will last at least 5000 more miles. Front ones are approaching 40000 miles and they are probably 50% worn. Front and rear rotors are the original ones, but I am planning to upgrade everything (rotors, pads and calipers) when front pads need replacement, or no later than next spring.

·
Registered
2007 E320 Bluetec p2
16 Posts
I changed my back pads and rotors for the first time at 80K an am about 85K now. The fronts are still fine. I probably could have gone another few K as the wear sensor was maybe 3 mm from triggering. I'll start shopping the fronts pretty soon as I am due for a service in 1800 miles and I'm sure that the dealer is going to try and sell me front brakes. They are too easy for me to do than pay someone, but then I enjoy turning wrenches.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all for the responses. I'll chalk this up to a lesson learned. :thumbsup:

I do minor to moderate mechanical work on my motorcycles, but have been cautious about DIY on this car for some reason. That just changed. :eek:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts