Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2006 CLS 500 (W219)
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got this 2006 MB CLS500 a few months ago... with very low miles (25K) from a Mercedes Benz dealership in SE Florida.
I got it without warranty (not certified).

Anyways... the car is beautiful, tight, even still has some of that new smell... never smoked.
But one day, after I had been driving around and come back to the parking lot from the pharmacy, NO more starting.
It accepted the key, let it turn, the dashboard controls light up normally... EVERYTHING seemingly "normal" except NO starter kicking in.

Called Mercedes Benz Road Side Assistance... they show up only 10 minutes later, dispatched from a dealership 9 miles down the road... with battery tester, new batteries (ready to be sold)... but, the tech can't blame the battery. Brother in law pull in with the "other" key... SAME!

So AAA is called in to get it to the dealership down the road... it's late in the evening. But luckily NOT too late for the service rep to sit in the car an try to crank it with BOTH keys... car does not start.

A couple of days later, MB calls me, to inform me that they started to work on the car but couldn't get it to fail. In other words, it recuperated all by itself! Nice. They ask if they ought to keep it a couple of days to see if they can get it to fail... about two weeks later, YES, it did fail, but not long enough to allow the technician to find the culprit.
Weeks have gone by now... from the last phone call I got, I gather they would like to see that car OFF their lot. I told them "NO". They know it did fail, it HAS failed again, I am not going to take it on the road, just to go thru the AAA-routine again.

I don't know it one still hits the starter with a hammer anymore, like we used to in the old days, to see if the pin got stuck... I'd reckon that IF that's still something one does, they would have done it.
I am told that if the key receptacle was having issues, it would NOT recognize the key at all... NOT let it turn, NOT turn on the electrics, gauges etc. Still, even during starter failure EVERYTHING ELSE lights up normally.
I would suspect a relay... but who am I to share theories with a today's MB technician, even if I could fine tune register carburetors "by ear".

So, IS this an issue that is know, maybe even common?
How can I help the technicians at the dealership?

Thanks for hearing me out! I KNOW it's a loooong one.

... J-D.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello I have a Mercedes CLS 350 CGI and I have the exactly same problem!
Some times the engine does not start!
The key is always accepted, electronics turn on, but when i switch to turn the engine on nothing happens.
This happens randomly! For example: I took the car in the morning with no problem. After 4-5 hours I tried over 10 times to make it start. Late at night It took me over 20 tries to make it start!
Some days everything works fine, but other times I have many problems starting the engine.
I went to the Mercedes Service and they saw the problem but they did nothing! They can not find a solution!
My car is on guarantee until May 2011. Can you please tell me what can I do?

·
Registered
2006 CLS 500 (W219)
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry for the delay.
I was traveling while the CLS was at Mercedes in Palm Beach Florida. They'd call me every once or twice a week to give me an update for about a month. Mostly, the car would NOT fail. When it would, it wouldn't again once the technicians would get around to "analyze" and hunt down the culprit.
Finally, and upon my pressing, they looked at the relays along that command line and found one which they became suspicious about and asked for my permission to replace it with a new one.
I have come back to Palm Beach just the other week, retrieved the car, paid about $200.oo and driven it for around 500 miles by now... NO failure.

Of course YOUR case may be different, however. But in my opinion, when electronics "fail" they simply go dead. I early on asked about relays, as these - being electro-MECHANICAL - would seem more likely to suffer "hickups" for a while.

On another MB related forum, several posters suggest looking at the starter gear wheel, which if it is "dry" (lacking grease lubrification) MAY cause the a similar behavior. I indicated this to the service rep in charge, but can't say if they did indeed look into it.

... J-D.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanx for your reply and your help! I will communicate with the service and tell them what you suggest. I will inform you when I have news!

Thank you again :)

·
Registered
483 Posts
Yep welcome to cls ownership

This is just the begining. I finally had it with my cls and after a year of bitching. I finally was able to get rid of it. Collapsed air suspension x2, screwed up ac, srs warning light 3 times. Transmission valve bodys went. All in 8 months. Good luck sir. I have made it my personal mission to let people know the cls is beautifu but is the most unreliable sack of crap i have ever owned. Im starting to believe the old timers when they say don't buy a mercedes built in this century.

·
Registered
CLS500
1 Posts
i hit the panic button by accident rite before i try to start my car. I was at work and on break the car turned on. When it was time to leave hit panic button on accident and car would not start this was friday night. Left the car at work tried two times saturday morning same thing. Sunday morning called aaa to pick up the car to take home, i tried the car jus to see what it would do and it starts rite up. then it cuts off i figured it was too cold tried again and no luck. it turns over i hear the starter working but won't turn on. Any ideas, some insight on the complicated nice car would help. i only have 1 key. i want to get another key to find out warranty just expired and before i can put another warranty on this happens. bought it used from a luxury auto dealer, only had car for 30 sum thing days. what should i do first?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts