·
Registered
2010 E350
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
75 Posts
Yup been there. Around 3thousand in repair costs. Extended warranty paid for itself.

It is a scary problem indeed

·
Registered
1 Posts
I recently purchased a 07 CLK 350, it is still under warranty.
How do I find out if I have 272/273 engine?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Yes 2006 clk350! I had around 67,000 miles when this happened !
Get yourself a 500 and enjoy more
Power and less problems! I regret I didn't

·
Registered
2010 E350
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
amyn~
you said you have a 2007 clk 350?...... if so, I think you are OK, if want I will send you the link....

·
Registered
14 Posts
The CLK 350 balance shaft problem also affects model year 2007. The balance shaft components on certain engines were manufactured from inferior metal that wears down prematurely. (The 272 engine requires removal and teardown to replace.) Your MB Dealer Technical/Service department can tell you if your engine number falls into the range that was built with the sub-par balance shaft.

When the shaft goes, the check engine light (CEL) will display and your dealer will be able to verify if the diagnosis code pertains to the balance shaft. (Other posts on this subject are in this W209 site. There is also info on a class action suit, filed in Oct 2010, for those impacted by this flaw. Unfortunately, no MB recall...only a technical service bulletin for the repair.)

I too recently purchased a clk 350 (cert. pre owned) and later found out that its 272 (V6) engine falls into the range built with defective balance shafts. Car only has 17K and works fine, but knowing the engine could/will break down at any time due to this defect is far from the ownership experience that Mercedes Benz advertises. I'm especially disappointed that the MB dealer didn't disclose this known major defect. Luckily, I bought the extended warranty. I can't cry since I haven't been hurt yet, but common sense is telling me to unload the car while it's still covered under warranty... and cut my losses.

·
Outstanding Contributor Always Remembered RI
Zotye Auto 1.5T T600 2016
52,804 Posts
the 272 is a 6 cylinder.....
the 273 is a 8 cylinder,,,,,,
They are both affected, 273 is the sprocket gear and 272 the balance shaft sprocket gear.

272 engine up to serial number 2729..30 468993
273 engine up to serial number 2739..30 08611

Sorry in the pm I gave you the 273 engine serial no.

·
Registered
2010 E350
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Can someone tell me where I will be able to find the engine number on a 2006 CLK 350.

Thanks, Donald

·
Outstanding Contributor Always Remembered RI
Zotye Auto 1.5T T600 2016
52,804 Posts
Actually there is a much easier location to find the number, top front of the left cam cover, you only need to take the front plastic engine cover off to see it.

·
Registered
1999 SL500, 2004 CLK500, 2006 Cadillac SRX
873 Posts
THANK YOU! I will sleep better! Now if I could only clear that pesky red SOS telephone light and malfunction, my wife would be happy!

·
Registered
06 CLK350/00 ML430
121 Posts
Guess I will ask them about this next week while in for A service. Warranty expires this month. 40k on the clock.

At least have them document my questioning, and their response.

·
Registered
Current 06 CLK350 cab. Prior..02 C230 Cpe, 04 C230 Sp Sdn, 11 C300 Sp Sdn(totalled)
22 Posts
Balance Shaft Gear

I just brought my 06 CLK350 cabrio in for some work at the local MB dealership and inquired about the balance shaft gear issue. The service adviser knew of this issue and advised me that MB of America has sent out a bulletin to the dealers to fix as courtesy according to him. He advised that this bulletin just went out. Just wanted to let anyone know if interested. He also told me that this issue seems to affect the SUV and Crossovers (R/class) more than the C, E or CLK models due to higher torque ratios. I did check my engine and it is within the affected range that was reported. So far, at 60K, I don't have any issues. By the way, this dealership is fairly new, Mercedes Benz of Oxnard, California. They are extremely upfront, informative and will do just about anything to keep their customers happy.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts