Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Guys,

I have a problem with my sunroof where the first panel (the vent) is not closing all the way in the top right corner. It looks to me that the little arm that pulls the panel down is little loose. I’m not sure if it can be replaced. So far I haven’t notice any water leaks, but when I drive over 80km/h I can hear the sound of wind coming in. I was wondering if anyone has replaced or adjusted that first panel on their sunroof or if someone would know hot to take it apart. Also what would be the charge to let dealer do it? I’m out of warranty. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Maybe I can revitalize this thread? First panel on B200T sunroof (panoramic roof) does not seal and whistles at highway speeds. Would the two torx screws allow the closing tension to be increased?

·
Benzworld Staff
Night Crew......2006 B 200 .....& Audi A6..
11,047 Posts
You would have to get up there and verify what is not letting the panel close properly in the first place

I suspect that some little plastic bit is possibly broken ..and that's just from other complaints here with their problematic roofs .

If it's just something loose,..consider yourself very lucky..

Good luck..!! ...because almost everyone else has had a terrible time getting $$ reasonable $$ roof repairs done .. on these problematic roof panels..

We often hear repair quotes here of $4000 to $6000 ..which is crazy..

·
Registered
2006 B200T
984 Posts
Yes, I would suggest looking and possibly tinkering a little (while in summer) before taking it to MB, as all they will do , is replace and that will cost you $$$. These sunroofs are a bit of a pain in the a$$, and they are expen$ive. As DEVOURS mentioned, many others with similar issue have found that the little white plastic piece has broken, and MB does not sell that $0.25 part. It would be awesome if someone took that piece and went to a 3D printer and made 100 of these and sold them through this forum at $5 profit a piece. Anyway, take some pics and post here, and maybe we can help.

I can tell you that these panels are not sound proof, and with roof rack on or anything else on the racks, I can hear wind noise even as low as 50km/h. Also, check to make sure that the rubber seals between each panel are nice and clean and not deteriorated. To my knowledge, there's no replacements for these weatherseals.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Preventitive maintenance is the best defense.

If you get it to close, let it be. Better it break closed, than open. ( thats my plan when the time comes :D )

·
Registered
see signature
4,017 Posts
The tension in the seals can be adjusted by inserting a shim beneath the torx screw on the front of the panel behind the front one. Try that. You will have to pry off the black panel covers to get at them of course but that is easy.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thank you all for your replies, I have read about the expensive replacement option including a guy who will do it for a reasonable price and his wife will serve you a coffee while you wait for the diagnosis.... many happy customers only this guy is 450km grom Paris France.

I just went for a long highway drive today and had a chance to try a few things. The one that gave some releif of wind noise was to pull the second lamella forward so that the tapered rubber seal seats itself more tightly to the first lamella. This would indicate that rather than having to adjust the first tilting lamella so it pushes further downward, the solution may be to simply clean and lube the other lamellas so they travel a few millimeters futher forward.

I've tried to clean the tracks with a cloth but I think compressed air or a high pressure steamer may work. Following a thorough cleaning, I saw on YouTube that Mobile 1 synthetic grease can be applied with a small brush.

When I get back home after another long highway drive, I'll give that a try and report back with results.

·
Benzworld Staff
Night Crew......2006 B 200 .....& Audi A6..
11,047 Posts
Be aware that most greases or petroleum products will attack and damage the rubber seals. There are specialty products out there made specifically for lubricating rubber.
"O" ring lubes are just one example of a good product to use on rubber ..if you also plan to lube the rubber parts..

Good luck with this repair..!!

·
Registered
'05 B200 (W245)
391 Posts
I guess that sliding lamella roof is the most delicate part of a W245 B-class.... and you wish to approach it with compressed air or a high pressure steamer.... :eek:

I would opt for something more subtle... My two cents...

Arjen.

·
Registered
1 Posts
CAN THIS PIECE BE FOUND ONLINE? I will do the 3D printing and sell on my shopify if anyone or you can find the blue prints, etc.

THANK YOU, need one for y 2009 TURBO.
Yes, I would suggest looking and possibly tinkering a little (while in summer) before taking it to MB, as all they will do , is replace and that will cost you $$$. These sunroofs are a bit of a pain in the a$$, and they are expen$ive. As DEVOURS mentioned, many others with similar issue have found that the little white plastic piece has broken, and MB does not sell that $0.25 part. It would be awesome if someone took that piece and went to a 3D printer and made 100 of these and sold them through this forum at $5 profit a piece. Anyway, take some pics and post here, and maybe we can help.

I can tell you that these panels are not sound proof, and with roof rack on or anything else on the racks, I can hear wind noise even as low as 50km/h. Also, check to make sure that the rubber seals between each panel are nice and clean and not deteriorated. To my knowledge, there's no replacements for these weatherseals.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts