Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi-

It is great to be back on benzworld! I have been doing alot of searching on buying a used E320CDI. After reading alot of the older posts on here I have decided on the older E320CDI with the 3.2 inline 6 for many reasons.

A post a had read on this forum in regards to fuel injection and injection pump issues on the 3.2 CDI, claimed that in 2006 the CDI got an imporved injection pump and components from Delphi rather than from Bosch.

Is this correct? What other changes or improvments are there between the 2005 and 2006 CDI?

This is really not the special of a car, and seems to be easy to find, however there is an aweful lot of dealers charging VERY high prices for this 5-6 year old car. It appears that private party might be the way to buy.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
2006 Merc E320 cdi
981 Posts
The diesel holds on to it's value like nothing else.. Think of it.. Who was making diesel powered cars in 2005-2006 that you could buy in the US?? VW and Mercedes.. Those two makes of diesels are pretty highly sought after. The bluetec is sought after too, but the inline 6 dispenses with a number of balancers needed for the V6..

So, MB made the ONLY diesel powered 6 cylinder car available in the US during the 2005-2006 years.. They kept that up until BMW came up with a 6cylinder diesel in the 335d just this year..

It is for this reason that people still look at me funny when I fill up with diesel..

·
Registered
1985 300CD Turbo coupe, 2006 E320 CDI sedan
573 Posts
I can't help you with the fuel injection question, sorry. But as far as I'm concerned, they're pretty much the same car. And understand that asking price and selling price don't have to be the same thing. I bought my 2006 E320 CDI as a 45,000 mile CPO in May of 2009. Asking price was $33k (which was NADA high retail at the time). I offered $25k, which was accepted without as much as a counter-offer.

//greg//

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can't help you with the fuel injection question, sorry. But as far as I'm concerned, they're pretty much the same car. And understand that asking price and selling price don't have to be the same thing. I bought my 2006 E320 CDI as a 45,000 mile CPO in May of 2009. Asking price was $33k (which was NADA high retail at the time). I offered $25k, which was accepted without as much as a counter-offer.

//greg//
Wow-

Good to know. Can I ask if in the year that you have had your CDI, have you had any issues? The inline sixes appear to be less problematic on this forum than the 2007+. I know that this is only one owner, but after visiting truedelta.com, I was unable to get the reliability info I wanted. I realize it will not be the Benz of yester year, but I think it should be solid.

Kyle

·
Registered
1985 300CD Turbo coupe, 2006 E320 CDI sedan
573 Posts
A few months after I bought it, #1 glow plug went out. The engine oil specified in the manual is pretty expensive around here. But when used with the right filter, the recommended oil/filter change cycle extends to 13,000 miles. So whereas the oil change is expensive up front, the cost is easily amortized before the next scheduled change.

The engine is great. Only 200 cc larger than the 5 cylinder in my coupe, but has 50 more horsepower. No long glow plug wait like the older model either. The Harmon Kardon system is a pleasure to listen to - compared to the old Becker in my coupe. But - whereas the 05-06 E320 CDI represents a giant leap in technology - it will never achieve cult classic status like the old 300CD turbo coupe. The E320 CDI is just a well engineered and seemingly dependable piece of machinery, covered in the same sedate wrapper seen on nearly every other sedan on the road today.

//greg//

·
Registered
2005 E320 CDI, 1992 300TE, 1999 Porsche 911 Cabriolet
368 Posts
I agree with that last response. The only thing I've paid for has been a glow plug and it's a breeze to swap (similar to a spark plug).

My air bag connector did fail and I replaced it as well but after talking to the NHTSA, Mercedes may be making a recall and paying me back.

My biggest gripe has been the SOS light. On random occasion, it turns on as a message warning even though I don't have SOS (similar to the GM 'On-Star' phone based support system). If I turn on the headlights for 2 minutes with the engine off, it resets itself. But it is a pain and for a feature my car doesn't even have.

Good luck and enjoy the 33 mpg.
Peter

·
Super Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
22,224 Posts
I agree with that last response. The only thing I've paid for has been a glow plug and it's a breeze to swap (similar to a spark plug).

My air bag connector did fail and I replaced it as well but after talking to the NHTSA, Mercedes may be making a recall and paying me back.

My biggest gripe has been the SOS light. On random occasion, it turns on as a message warning even though I don't have SOS (similar to the GM 'On-Star' phone based support system). If I turn on the headlights for 2 minutes with the engine off, it resets itself. But it is a pain and for a feature my car doesn't even have.

Good luck and enjoy the 33 mpg.
Peter
The false SOS alerts are a known issue by MB. They can disable it via the SDS system.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts