Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
SLK350
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just took delivery of my slk 350 last week. I previously owned a clk 320 with Comand and one of the features I liked was being able to name the CD's in the stacker so you could look them up on the 'CD select' function. THat way you could choose the exact CD you wanted to play rather than flip through all of them having forgotten which ones you loaded ! THis feature does not seem to be available on the new SLK Comand system and I cannot find referecne to it in the manual. Does anyone know if you can do this ?
My 2nd question is that the speaker system has no fade (front/back) control - seems right for a 2 seater - but the sound seems too front loaded. I have the Harmon Kardon system with 11 speakers but hardly any sound comes out of the 4 (one behind each seat and 2 above the verticle storage)rear speakers - again is there a way to adjust this ? Thanks

·
Registered
SLK55 //AMG
1,212 Posts
The New SLK does not have that feature but it has an even better one - CD-Text.
When you create your own CDs on the computer, you can choose to burn with CD-Text included so that all your track names from your albums show up, including whatever name you choose to name the CD you are making.
Cheers and happy motoring in your new SLK!

·
Registered
SLK350, BMW K1200LT
808 Posts
innherb - 5/5/2005 7:01 PM

My 2nd question is that the speaker system has no fade (front/back) control - seems right for a 2 seater - but the sound seems too front loaded. I have the Harmon Kardon system with 11 speakers but hardly any sound comes out of the 4 (one behind each seat and 2 above the verticle storage)rear speakers - again is there a way to adjust this ? Thanks
Hi innherb - I'm lucky - I didn't go for the HK system, & I can't hear anything out of the rear speakers either (used to be a VERY commen complaint on this forum) - the only time I've heard anything is them you play a Dolby 5/1 dvd, and then occasionally they wake up.

·
Registered
SLK350
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks - I figured that was the case. Does not really help with the 200 or so pre-recorded CD's in my library ! This feels like a retrograde step by MB.

·
Registered
SLK350
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well that's great ! There I was thinking by paying all that money for leading edge technology that things would be better than I had before. THe Bose sound system in my old SLK was superb - like being in a concert hall. Maybe all I have read about MB standards going backwards is true...

·
Registered
SLK350, BMW K1200LT
808 Posts
innherb - 5/5/2005 10:04 PM

Thanks - I figured that was the case. Does not really help with the 200 or so pre-recorded CD's in my library ! This feels like a retrograde step by MB.
I've got a Sony NW Walkman 1 that I plug into the aux socket in the glove-box - about 400 cd's/vinyl on it(no-where near full - or even 1/2 full) - Sony uses a compression algoritm called ATRAC which IMHO is far far far superior to MP3. I just set the podule to random play, cos all my tunes are good ([:p][:p]) (downside - you can't control it easily once it's in the glovebox)

·
Registered
SLK350 AMG Sport
334 Posts
The HK system is not a traditional front/back car system with a fader. It is a surround sound system. Just like in your home theater (if you have one) the rear channels are for effect only. In movies this means bullets flying over your head, etc. In music it is used (most often) to give you the fill sound from behind (e.g. read hall ambience).

This is the way the system was designed.

·
Registered
SLK350
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Snowball. THe trouble is I hear virtually nothing out of the rear speakers using the radio or CD playback. THe only time the two speakers above the verticle storage bin appear to work is when the telephone is used. I am going to try a DVD in the car with 5.1 to see if they kick-in but that will be small token as I'll hardly get to play DVD's !

·
Registered
06 SLK 55 Firemist
1,580 Posts
The rear channels are about 3 to 5 dB too low. The way Logic 7 works is that it takes a 2.0 music source (a second selectable logarithm is used for 2.0 soundtracks (movies) but not available on our system) and uses a proprietary 24 bit DSP chip to create 7 channels of full range sound and 1 LFE channel. All 7 channels are sent full frequency range so the speakers need to be full range and timbre matched. I will take time one day and see if my service dept can find a level setting so they can be adjusted properly. BTW I have Dolby Pro Logic II (Which achieves about the same effect as Logic 7 and DTS NEO) in my HT.[;)]

·
Registered
SLK350 AMG Sport
334 Posts
Julien - 5/6/2005 12:38 PM

The rear channels are about 3 to 5 dB too low. The way Logic 7 works is that it takes a 2.0 music source (a second selectable logarithm is used for 2.0 soundtracks (movies) but not available on our system) and uses a proprietary 24 bit DSP chip to create 7 channels of full range sound and 1 LFE channel. All 7 channels are sent full frequency range so the speakers need to be full range and timbre matched. I will take time one day and see if my service dept can find a level setting so they can be adjusted properly. BTW I have Dolby Pro Logic II (Which achieves about the same effect as Logic 7 and DTS NEO) in my HT.[;)]

I don't think they are too low. I can't tell they are on until I turn them off. That's the way it should be.

BTW - Nice HT!

·
Registered
SLK350
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just tried a 5.1 DVD in the car and it was a better 'surround' experience but not much coming out the rear speakers still. i think Julien is right, the set up is wrong. I have the Sony Pascal HT system with seperate amp and that lets me set the balance up how I like it. MB should provide the same control.

·
Registered
06 SLK 55 Firemist
1,580 Posts
Here are a few quotes from the Lexicon site about Logic 7. Lexicon is a division of Harman International (like JBL and H/K) and invented Logic 7.

LOGIC7. ...Based on years of psychoacoustic research, LOGIC7 strikes a delicate balance between channel separation and surround envelopment. For music, film, and broadcast sources, LOGIC7 distinguishes between primary and background signals and processes them appropriately. Prominent sounds like a singer's voice or an airplane's roar are reproduced with stunning clarity. The signal is sent to the appropriate speaker with high channel separation....

...We strongly recommend that people use "dts LOGIC 7" as it utilizes a proprietary matrix on the surround channels, providing a more smooth and enveloping experience especially with dts-ES encoded soundtracks....

...Lexicon’s LOGIC7 technology converts standard two-channel audio sources into convincing seven-channel surround sound playback....

...takes them to a new level of realism with Lexicon’s proprietary LOGIC 7 effects. Drawing on nearly three decades of digital audio experience, Lexicon’s LOGIC 7 technology expands 5.1 channel as well as 2 channel soundtracks for 7.1 and virtual 7.1 channel playback for an increased sense of spaciousness and surround envelopment...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts