Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Whoops Looks like i was not clear in my last message. When I said "runs like before" I meant to say the misfire was fixed! And it runs like it always had for the last 30K miles, as if it never had a problem. The only issue is that the CEL is still lit.
Scanner still says it has a misfire on #6 and I can't clear the P 0306 code without it coming back on. I drove it 20 miles and still is lit. Disconnected battery then for 30 minutes and still there. Do I need several warm up cycles for the ECM to clear on its own?

Sorry to have misled you:confused:
My best guess on what the original issue was is a vacuum leak on #6 injector or that in cleaning the injectors I dislodged some gunk. That is a little less likely than the vacuum leak. Again I cleaned the O-rings and injector ports with the rail off and greased the o-rings to ease insertion and that's where I believe the leak was sealed. Thinking if this happens again I'll pull the rail and do a seal kit. Make sense? BTW excellent advice on the rail pull, had it out and in hand in 20 minutes.

·
Outstanding Contributor , SDS Guru
1998 MB E300TD, 1997 MB E36 AMG, 2001 MB E55 AMG
3,648 Posts
Oh, okay. Hmmmmm, the misfire is gone? You mean to tell me that the car is running smoothly as before, but still registering a misfire on #6 when you plug a scanner on it?

Sounds like coil. Swap with #2 or #4, mark it and drive.

·
Outstanding Contributor , SDS Guru
1998 MB E300TD, 1997 MB E36 AMG, 2001 MB E55 AMG
3,648 Posts
A vacuum leak could cause that, but seems to be unlikely. You could test for vacuum leak by using brake cleaner, or electronic cleaner (the spray version) and spray around suspected area of vacuum leak. If there is a leak, the engine will surge.

Alternatively, if you don't have either, use a spray bottle with water. Water will make it stutter/stumble.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Car running perfectly so no vacuum leak to test for. Will swap coils with brand new one I bought just in case.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Won't get to this until next week going out of town tomorrow. Thanks for the follow up!

21 - 26 of 26 Posts