Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2012 SLK 350
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. This is my first MB which was purchased a couple weeks ago from the local MB dealer as a solution to my Wife wanting a convertible. It has 50000 miles on it and being a 2005 was affordable.
I'll get to my question. Last weekend we went for a highway drive, about 30 miles over a bit of mountain terrain, nothing dramatic. It was about 77 deg F out. My wife drove it in in C mode. We parked for about 45 minutes. Upon leaving, we started to back out of the level stall and the car dropped out of reverse. It was like the clutches lost oil pressure. The transmission wouldn't engage into reverse. We tried to shift out of reverse then back a few times. We shifted to drive and it did engage forward, tried reverse and no go, then back to drive and eventually no go forward also. I suggested to my wife to shut off the engine and restart. Well that reset it. We made it home and the car has been fine for a couple short trips to town. I cannot detect any slipping with the transmission.
I know we need to take it to the dealer to check the codes. I'm hoping to get some ideas from members as to what this might be so that I can approach the dealer with confidence about the issue. We are supposed to have a 3 month warranty but I know it's not going to be easy to get anything intermittent like this looked at.

Thanks,

Adrien.

·
Registered
2004 SL600 Renntech Stage 2
67 Posts
The first thing to do would be check the transmission fluid level. Mercedes-Benz tool #140 589 15 21 00 is required to check transmission fluid level. No Mercedes-Benz after 1996 is supplied with a transmission dipstick. Reseal the tube with a new tamper-proof cap after correcting the transmission fluid level. Fluid spec. Mercedes-Benz synthetic ATF # 001 989 21 03 10. Mercedes-Benz doesn't give a fluid service interval, however, for extended transmission life it is recommended to replace the fluid at every 50,000 mile interval.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just had a very similar issue...ended up needing a new valve body assembly in the transmission. Runs a cool $1900.00! Very close to the same conditions you describe and rectified by restarting the car. Good luck!

·
Registered
2012 SLK 350
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We took the car to the dealer and we are getting great service. I'm so glad we bought the car from a MB dealer and have a warranty. They found something wrong with a transmission control module. They will replace it under the warranty.

I'll update when we get the car back.

Adrien.

·
Registered
2012 SLK 350
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here is my update. It took a little over 2 weeks to get the part and install it. I don't know exactly what part they changed as it was all warranty work. I believe it was a transmission control module. The car has not dropped out of gear since then. Of course we have to wait a while to see as we've not put many miles on it yet.

Adrien.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts