Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I am brand new to this site as a proud new owner of a black 2005 sl500. I have the 18" factory 5-spoke pattern rim and am interested in learning from other sl owners about their experience in upgrading their rims and tires.

I live in Orange County, CA and today I looked at a set of rims from a shop called Grand Prix Performance in Costa Mesa/Newport Beach. They showed me a set of 19" Rims by ACE. They are a knock-off of Brabus Monoblock Type VI Multipiece. I was quoted $3000.00 for the rims with a set of Michelin tires.

Is this a good deal? I don't know too much about rims other than I really don't want to spend $10K on the real deal (sorry, don't mean to be cheap!). Is there a difference between these rims and brabus, and will moving to a 19" rim/tire affect the quality of ride? Also, do the fenders need to be rolled in moving to a larger size? They told me no, but when I asked the Brabus Dealership, they said yes.

Any help or suggestions you can provide me with would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
2006 Vanquish S
400 Posts
SmileDoctor7 - 5/7/2005 7:53 PM

Hello everyone,

I am brand new to this site as a proud new owner of a black 2005 sl500. I have the 18" factory 5-spoke pattern rim and am interested in learning from other sl owners about their experience in upgrading their rims and tires.

I live in Orange County, CA and today I looked at a set of rims from a shop called Grand Prix Performance in Costa Mesa/Newport Beach. They showed me a set of 19" Rims by ACE. They are a knock-off of Brabus Monoblock Type VI Multipiece. I was quoted $3000.00 for the rims with a set of Michelin tires.

Is this a good deal? I don't know too much about rims other than I really don't want to spend $10K on the real deal (sorry, don't mean to be cheap!). Is there a difference between these rims and brabus, and will moving to a 19" rim/tire affect the quality of ride? Also, do the fenders need to be rolled in moving to a larger size? They told me no, but when I asked the Brabus Dealership, they said yes.

Any help or suggestions you can provide me with would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!!
Welcome to the forum. While I don't know much about rims either, I wouldn't think that you need to be apologizing about not spending $10,000 on rims. Not sure any of us on here would. [:)]

Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
11 Posts
They shouldn't have to roll the fenders w/ the 19" rims. Just a FYI and not from any personal experience, I have to say I've heard nothing but bad things about Grand Prix Performance...

~ Ian

PS: My SL55 w/ 20" Brabus Monoblock VI's.

·
Registered
11 Posts
brown klister - 5/8/2005 8:05 PM

... care to expand on what bad things you've heard? It's only fair since you cast the doubt.
I've heard (and stress that - only rumors) that they collude w/ some of the local dealerships sales reps (Crevier, Fletcher Jones) to sell inflated wheel packages to unsuspecting buyers.

Again, it's only talk as far as I know.

I picked up my wheels at TWS in Walnut. Their service is a bit off but their pricing saved me thousands v. larger retail/wholesale outlets.

~ Ian

1 - 7 of 7 Posts