Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2005 S500 4matic W220
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought this car w/ 48,000 miles on it about 3 years ago. Around 60,000 it developed an annoying squeak that you would hear going over any type of bump or dip. It gradually got worse. I tried to pinpoint the sound but could not. I had a couple shops look at it and both were quick to tell me to replace the ball joints. Personally I could not believe a $90,000 object of impeccable German engineering would need new ball joints at such low mileage. (I also didnt want to spend $1500 to fix a squeak)

I used a small hypodermic needle filled with 30 weight oil and injected approx. 2 teaspoons of oil into the left and right ball joint rubber boot. This instantly silenced the noise. Its been two months so far and still no creaking or squeaking.

The mileage is up to 87,000 and I have been shown that my ball joints are indeed worn and somewhat loose. However, the alignment is good and I dont hear any clunking sounds when going over large bumps. The replacement will have to wait.

·
Registered
01 S320 & 99 C240 Sport Wagon
83 Posts
Good job !

The Class S might be a "90,000 object of impeccable German engineering" but they have been known to "eat" front suspension ball joints with propensity !

Having said that, "squeeks" are the first sign of undo friction, so lubing them up the old fashion way will definantly help.

Which brings us to the "why" they fail : it's not the ball joint per se, but rather the rubber protection boot that gets compromised, then they dry out and loose their lubrication and it's just a amtter of a few K mils before they are shot.

·
Premium Member
2002 S500, 1999 C230 Kompressor, 1997 C230
443 Posts
Nice Solution

I share your sentiments about the need to keep changing these joints, which is why I finally purchased a ball joint tool to do the job myself.

Your solution will buy you quite a bit of time, but eventually the ball joints will need to be replaced. Keep a real close check on the bushing for the lower control arm. This will wear out and the arm will move slightly forward/backward and grind against the bracket. When this happens you can replace the lower control arm AND the ball joint at the same time.

I am so pleased with the feel of the car after installing all the new parts on the front end of my S500, that I am going to change them all again at another 100K regardless of condition.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Great fix but next time use high temp grease instead of oil. Oil will leak out or drip out of the same hole it went in. I keep a cheap needle point grease gun full of cheap $2 grease ready fatten that thingy.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts