Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2005 s430
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I'm new here and i have a few questions. I own 2 mercedes. A 05 E-500 and an 05 S-430. The E-class has been great. My S-430 has it's issues.
#1. I've been reading about a vibration at cruising speeds here. Mine started it about a year ago. The passenger seat shakes and I can also feel the vibration in the body itself at 67mph-72mph. after that it smooths out. I eliminated tire and wheel balance, so I knew it had to be something else. Benz dealer hear in charlotte replaced driveshaft, center bearing, left axle and get this the rear end too. Still didn't fix it you can imagine how pissed i was after $5000. anyway does anyone have a solution thats so common on the S-class? Also my windsheild wipers won't work on the intermittent cycle. On cycle #1 they work as if it on cycle#2 and I speed works fine. After they work for a few minutes the wipers will stop in mid cycle and I'll have to turn them off and back on to work. Any answers to my woos. THX

·
Registered
373 Posts
Does it vibrate when you are parked? I solved my shaking problem by replacing all spark plugs and spark plug wires from Bosch. No shaking I did it myself it's very easy to do. I have a s500, also check your ball joints see if they are damaged. There are four on each front side.

·
Registered
2005 s430
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
s 430

Does it vibrate when you are parked? I solved my shaking problem by replacing all spark plugs and spark plug wires from Bosch. No shaking I did it myself it's very easy to do. I have a s500, also check your ball joints see if they are damaged. There are four on each front side.
Ok thanks. It runs smooth when sitting still. is just at highway speeds.

·
Registered
2005 s430
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i'm gonna have the tie rods, ball joints, thrust arms all bushings and knuckles checked. also the lower control arms like skylaw suggested. I'll keep you guys updated. If this doesnt work i'm tapping out.

·
Registered
2002 S430, 2002 Camaro SS, 2010 Navigator
111 Posts
Did you ever resolve this problem, I am having the same issue between 65 - 70 MPH before and after no problems and smooth ride.

·
Registered
2005 s430
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
vibration

Well I changed wheels and it went away. I was told that MHT wheels wouldn't be a problem, apparently my car doesn't like them. I now have Lorinzo wheels. The shaking is gone.

·
Registered
94 E320 Sportline sedan 86 190E 2.3 16V sedan 04 S430 Sport
678 Posts
Did you ever resolve this problem, I am having the same issue between 65 - 70 MPH before and after no problems and smooth ride.
TxML320, when I first got my S430 last year I had the same issue... my passenger headrest looked like it was a massaging device vibrating back and forth at highway speeds. As I was chasing the issue down the two biggest improvements and what eventually removed the vibration was the replacement of the driveshaft flex discs and center carrier bearing, and then also getting my tires balanced with a "Quick Match" or "Road Force" balancing machine. (and the tires were only a few weeks old as well) You have to ask the big box tire shops to use this machine but it is a balancer that has a pinion roller that applies "road pressure" to the tire while it is being spun balanced. Basically simulating the tire mounted on the vehicle and under a driving load.

I also rebuilt my front end as well (ball joints, lateral arms, control arm bushings, inner & outer tie rods - everything but upper arms) but I still had a slight vibration even after all that R&R work.

Hope that helps.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts