Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
78 300CD 79 300TD 84 300SD 84 300SD#2 88 300SEL 91 560SEC 84 560SEC 95 SL600 99 E300td 99 ML320
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a really nice 2005 ML500, 125kmi, that had a Start Error and the PO couldn't get it to start (or even crank). Got it quite cheap so worth fooling with. Battery is fairly new and I put the charger on it to get it charged up as the vehicle had been sitting and it was down a bit. I put my computer on it and found a bunch of codes, including in the AAM and DAS which apparently were related to the "Start Error" on the display, and managed to clear them all. Got the key fob reset so it will open the doors, etc. I have 2 "valet" keys too. Still won't start. I can hear a clunk, which seems like the solenoid is engaging but starter not turning. And occasionally got a "Start Error" again but there were no faults in any of the modules after that, the error was intermittent. Tried another known good battery that had just started another ML, still nothing.

I'm thinking that if the battery is actually good it might be the starter or maybe the engine is locked up (which would be kinda extreme but who knows what the PO might have done). It turned cold so I have not wanted to go out and get under it to check starter, try to manually turn the engine, etc. so still need to do that. Barring those issues, anyone have any idea what else I might want to try? Any other electronics or relays or anything that would get in the way of the engine turning over?

·
Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
587 Posts
What is the measured voltage of the battery, Benz's are very voltage sensitive if the correct volts are not there.no start.

Starter relay or the starter solenoid would be good suspects , all cables tight?.Did you try the old rap the starter with a mallet trick?

·
Registered
78 300CD 79 300TD 84 300SD 84 300SD#2 88 300SEL 91 560SEC 84 560SEC 95 SL600 99 E300td 99 ML320
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies and the files. The battery in it was fairly new, June 19. I took it to the auto parts store a little while ago, their tester showed 12+V sitting and about 11.5 with a load so I think that is ruled out. I did try another good battery too with no joy.

I have the computer system and used it to scan all the modules. It was showing DAS and AAM faults and a bunch of nonfatal others. I cleared all those faults and went through a procedure to reboot the key fob, that worked so I believe it is communicating with the AAM at least. I tried starting again with the results mentioned above. I did not get any more fault codes even when it showed a Start Error again once or twice on trying to start it several times. That fault did not seem to stick in the system which makes me think the DAS ring is working, but maybe not.

The metal blade in the fob (I only have one) was actually broken, it came apart from the little swivel piece, so I epoxied it back together. I have not tried that key yet though I did have the fob near the ignition when I used the "valet" keys, so maybe that had something to do with it though I thought the transponder ring would pick it up being right close. It is pouring rain right now, and the vehicle is still on the trailer outside so I will wait awhile to try that key. Even so I would think the valet keys would start it after clearing the faults?

I can probably pull the starter relay from this 99 ML320 I have, swap it in and see if that is a problem, but I would think the system would show a fault in that relay? When the weather is nicer I can check on the starter connections.

·
Premium Member
02 ML320 06 ML500
16,870 Posts
How can we help you without any codes? What were the codes in the AAM and DAS?

And I specifically mentioned DAS.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How can we help you without any codes? What were the codes in the AAM and DAS?

And I specifically mentioned DAS.
I wrote them down. You comment has me thinking that even though I cleared the faults, and no faults are being thrown now, the issue might be related to the ones I cleared. Specifically:

DAS
B1703-000 Transponder cannot be read
B1703-004 Transponder error when writing programmable code
--> Check power supply of component N26/4 MB immobilizer control module

I guess these do suggest that the ring is bad even though nothing is showing up now after I cleared them. I would think they would show up again? O rmaybe not...
I should get another one -- I see this one on eBay, kinda spendy!
https://www.ebay.com/itm/223737738700 $75
here's a used one from Latvia https://www.ebay.com/itm/264519747106 $43

AAM
B1858-002 Two way radio signal code is OK but programmable code is not synchronized (this one same as the DAS code 004?)
B1716 ATA interior motion protection inclination sensor component N41 TRIP computer TRIP control module is faulty
B1040-008 CANBus fault in communication Air Conditioner Control Unit
B1040-000 CANBus fault in ME Motor Electronics
B1040-007 CANBus fault in B38 Rain Sensor

EAM
5 faults, one was B1086 CANBus fault in AAM

I might try to find a module in a junkyard around, pull one and replace what's on the car, that is probably the way to go.

·
Registered
Dallas, Texas
6,846 Posts
Before you replace anything look at actual values in DAS and ME. When key is not recognized starter will still engage and turn engine over.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2004 ML350 and I managed to solve the same problem you have. It has nothing to do with codes and diagnosis. The problem is with DAS, EAM and AAM modules. The Mexican factory that manufactured them had been using lead-free solder and that's the reason it is gettinng bad with time and micro cracks start to develop. I've "reworked" all these modules twice and the car works fine now.
Be VERY careful with jump starting and charging the battery while connected to the car. W163 is super sensitive to voltage and NEVER keep your key in the ignition lock while doing that. You'll just lose it and won't understand why.
I might be able to help you with reworking the modules.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have a 2004 ML350 and I managed to solve the same problem you have. It has nothing to do with codes and diagnosis. The problem is with DAS, EAM and AAM modules. The Mexican factory that manufactured them had been using lead-free solder and that's the reason it is gettinng bad with time and micro cracks start to develop. I've "reworked" all these modules twice and the car works fine now.
Be VERY careful with jump starting and charging the battery while connected to the car. W163 is super sensitive to voltage and NEVER keep your key in the ignition lock while doing that. You'll just lose it and won't understand why.
I might be able to help you with reworking the modules.
Great! Thanks. I am going to check a few other things before I get into that. Took the battery to the shop, it was fine, good voltage on load. Weather has been nasty, I have not unloaded it from the trailer yet so when the weather clears a bit I can get back to working on it. No end to weirdness!

·
Premium Member
2002 ML320, 2003 A160, 2002 ML500, 2018 GLS350d
4,194 Posts
It has nothing to do with codes and diagnosis.
Arguably, by reading codes and doing diagnosis you can narrow down the fault to the DAS ring/module assembly (a.k.a. immobilizer control module and transponder coil).

After you install a new or working used one, if none of your keys work, the cheapest solution is to order a new key from your MB dealer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Arguably, by reading codes and doing diagnosis you can narrow down the fault to the DAS ring/module assembly (a.k.a. immobilizer control module and transponder coil).

After you install a new or working used one, if none of your keys work, the cheapest solution is to order a new key from your MB dealer.
In my case none of these modules had any errors and all the data they provided was ok. And I have the xentry software.

·
Registered
Dallas, Texas
6,846 Posts
Great! Thanks. I am going to check a few other things before I get into that. Took the battery to the shop, it was fine, good voltage on load. Weather has been nasty, I have not unloaded it from the trailer yet so when the weather clears a bit I can get back to working on it. No end to weirdness!
Using SDS look at actual values in DAS module then ME. Attempt to turn engine over by hand.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts