Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2005 ML350 SE
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I just got a 2005 ML350 SE and have a couple of questions:

1. Are there any reasonable power upgrade options around? like a chip or something?

2. Is there a website selling nav DVDs? I don't want to pay the dealer $275.

3. Is there a steering wheel with audio controls for ML? I wonder how special Special Edition is if I can't control my volume and tracks on the wheel :)

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm a total newby with MB and SUVs in general.

·
Registered
99ML320 (retired) C230 530xi 911-C4
2,229 Posts
Mean666Gene - 4/22/2005 12:34 AM

Hey guys. I just got a 2005 ML350 SE and have a couple of questions:

1. Are there any reasonable power upgrade options around? like a chip or something?

2. Is there a website selling nav DVDs? I don't want to pay the dealer $275.

3. Is there a steering wheel with audio controls for ML? I wonder how special Special Edition is if I can't control my volume and tracks on the wheel :)

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm a total newby with MB and SUVs in general.
Welcome to the board.
You'll get tons of help here from very experienced forum members.

However I highly recommend you try the search function on this site as all of your questions have been asked many times before.

Enjoy your ML!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello. Me too, I'm also total newby with MB and SUVs in general! I purchased the 2005 ML-350SE last month, just the SE, no other options (i.e. no navigation, trip computer, memory seat,...). My guess is that I only have the one disk CD-ROM in my MCS and you probably have the navigation DVD system? But if you have the navigation option, doesn't the DVD (disk) come with it?

·
Registered
2005 ML350 SE
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey uyenvi99. My ML came with no nav system installed, but i purchased the nav dvd drive and installed it (part and labor was $1150) with some 20% car dealer discount i got (through a friend). But the drive itself does not come with a disk, so now i am looking for one.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Mean666Gene - I see now... I have been searching rigorously thoughout this forum and the Net for a less expensive way to install the NAV system. The dealership asked for $2K! If I got a deal like yours I would be much willing to go for it. There are a few posts on eBay about the DVD drive and the disk but I'm not quite sure...

·
Registered
1982 300TD
163 Posts
I found the DVD Nav module for $600, installed it myself, but I had to get the map from the dealer - over $300. I have a source who says he has the maps for $150 - but he never seems to have any "in stock". btw, the Nav module is very easy to install in the 2005 - you just need to spend $9 for the radio removal tools. All the connections, including the antenna cable are right there. just plug it in and you are ready to go.

There are chips available for the 2005 350 - I'm not brave enough to try one, though.

I also found the trip computer on E-bay for $50. You have to cut a hole in the overhead console and remove the "push for towing" module. Not too hard to do, but neatness counts. It is nice to look up while driving and see what horrible gas mileage you are getting ;)

Best Regards,

e

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi eolon - Thanks for the info.
I suspected the installation would be simple, like you said, because the GPS connection has already been there (for TelAid). Could you tell me (post, pm, or e-mail) where did you find the DVD Nav module? Thank you.

·
Registered
1982 300TD
163 Posts
I got my DVD module from MB Guy, right here on the forums. I paid $700, not $600 as I said earlier (bad memory) He only had a few at that price, but you should talk to him.

http://www.mbnz.org/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=1194975&posts=4&fid=45

Best Regards,

e

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2011 C300 FORMER: ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
19,248 Posts
You know, before I'd go spending a bunch of $$ on the OEM NAV solution, I think I would consider replacing the entire head unit. Personally I'm leaning toward the Kenwood DDX7015. It's a 6.5" touch screen head unit with an option for DVD-based NAV, plays DVD’s, MP3, with inputs for either brand of satellite receiver, Music Keg, and external A/V sources. Retail, it's $2400 for the head unit + NAV, but you can find them on eBay for around $1800. Of course removing the MCS will kill TeleAid, but if you don’t use it, then who cares? Oh, and you should be able to get back $500-$800 if you want to resell your MCS and fiber-optic CD changer.

- RODNEY

1 - 10 of 10 Posts