Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2006 BMW X5 / 07' 55k coming
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here goes..

All G's for the balance of 05' will be Grand Editions. This is for G's produced after June of this year, through December 05'*. No regular G's. G.E's will be limited and numbered. Look for new wheels, three new paint schemes: Iridium Silver, Flint grey, and Barolo Red. Grille guard standard/stainless. Medallions on either side of the vehicle with the G-Class Grand Edition / Built in Graz with a cool pic of Graz. Different mats. Same wood as the regular G500. Numbered plaque in the ashtray area. Last but not least a factory sign off sheet. G55 basically recieves the same updates. No Designo rubbish. Sorry jmo.

By the way, I too wished MBUSA would have looked more carefully at the market. However, from what I have been told, the other variants just were not feasible in the time frame MB needed to market the vehicle. It was just timing, plain and simple. Plus Europa probably helped the LWB make it here more readily. To bad, b/c I would have loved to have had an convertible G. Anyway..that's all for now.

·
Registered
2004 G500 (gone)
1,100 Posts
I'd lose the grill gaurd and the E in GE 500. Mercedes has plenty of brands on the market, wouldn't it be sensible for Mercedes to give the W461/W463 to Freightliner?

Wait did I say sensible? I'm sorry, it's not fitting to use that word to describe Mercedes anymore.

·
Registered
'05 G55K - Stolen; '87 560SL - Sold
469 Posts
I would have prefered a G65 as a "Limited Edition", but more colors and continued production sounds good to me. I live in NYC, so a brush guard is the only way to save your bumper as you park on the street.

I LOVE the idea of Frieghtliner caring a stripped down G ... just a truck with a simple diesel. I know I am crazy, but a toy (like a G65) or a cheap beater truck (like a Jeep Wangler) is what I want [:)]

·
Registered
2013 G 63 AMG
327 Posts
Any idea if there are similar plans to produce a similar "Grand Edition" outside of the US? We already had a G400/500 Anniversary Edition to celebrate the 25th anniversary of the G-Class...with numbered plaque and special colors...but it wasn't the same as what you describe.

-Jimmy

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jimmy,

I will see what I can find out. Re: outside the US market. However I believe that all G's from June on will be in this "GE" configuration.

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,980 Posts
500 - 4/9/2005 12:10 PM

Jimmy,

I will see what I can find out. Re: outside the US market. However I believe that all G's from June on will be in this "GE" configuration.

Anything to sell those last few at a premium! [:p]

·
Registered
2004 G500 (gone)
1,100 Posts
It is my understanding that one of the ways of getting in touch with the Unimog sellers is through Freightliner. That's not the only way, but that is one way.

·
Registered
05' G55K GE
108 Posts
500 - 4/8/2005 11:01 PM

Here goes..

All G's for the balance of 05' will be Grand Editions. This is for G's produced after June of this year, through December 05'*. No regular G's. G.E's will be limited and numbered. Look for new wheels, three new paint schemes: Iridium Silver, Flint grey, and Barolo Red.

Thanks for the info. Does this mean that they will ONLY be avaiable in these colors?

Thanks
Damon

·
Registered
111.010 121.942 202.033
1,850 Posts
Do you think they'll bother to put it on the website, notify the dealers, or advertise?

I'm betting not.....

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Damon, no those colors are just additional colors to chose from.

As for seeing it on the MB site, maybe..? I know you didn't ask but it was in the next post as a question.

·
Registered
2004 G500 (gone)
1,100 Posts
Mercedes wouldn't know...

what to do if they were handed gold on a platter. Actually they have been handed gold on a platter.

What other vehicle out there has a cult following who respect and admire the G so much, even if they don't like the styling or can't afford one? People love the G's character!

Some people say the G's styling is out dated, I say bring it on! I especially admire the W461 Civilian styling. Maybe with all the electronic gizmos and for the price other cars "surpass" the G, FWIW if you take away the electronic gizmos and reduce the price of the G, you still have an equally competant vehicle that is untouched by the competition. Strip down a Lincoln Navigator (it wouldn't be equivalent to a Ford Expedition) and you're not left with much. Same thing with a H2, Escalade, Denali, etc.

But with a Mercedes-Benz, you still have the 3 diff locks and a very strong and capable frame and body.

So maybe that's a little biased, but I don't care. I love the G and when you love things, you tend to be biased. [:p]

·
Registered
2004 E55-1970 280SEC
2,026 Posts
Any new news on the GE?

·
Registered
2004 G500 (gone)
1,100 Posts
The G will continue production as the G500 until December. We'll hear more about what happens in December from MB. At this point in time, they're still tossing around the idea of keeping the G alive for a little longer and selling a model similar to the W461. Cordes will have the final say in this matter.

I would like to emphasize that MB is CONSIDERING only. That doesn't mean they will or will not actually do it. [:)]

·
Registered
G320 & E500
1,193 Posts
caille - 5/9/2005 9:51 PM

I would trade my 05 G500 (which I love, and is trouble-free) in a nano second for a diesel Freightliner G!
When my G320 engine dies, I'll replace it with the diesel...
Until then, I'm going to enjoy what I've got.

Chuck

·
Registered
2004 E55-1970 280SEC
2,026 Posts
In the new Motor Trend there is a short blurb about the G in the ML500 test they did. It states that the new replacement "G" might not be called the G afterall because the current G might continue on, just not in the US and MB doesn't want a confusion on model designations. Take it for what it is.

·
Registered
00 g500
2,289 Posts
From some of the reports left here, the g55k's are leaving the lots of ONE dealer in dubai at a rate of 10 per week just in little Dubai... i would guess it's places like japan, russia, and the middle-eastern countries where some people have insane amounts of money, the dealers can charge a premium, and exclusivity it ultimate, and in countries that have seen it for years and know what they're actually buying, instead of the grossly mis-marketed vehicle sold in the US.

You can put a suite on a linebacker (and he might look good) but don't tell people he's a nobleman.

It'd be nice to think they're offering a TKD version, but that's not likely when they can just stop offering the cheap ones (thereby cutting costs) and still sell the biggest cash earners.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts