Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
07 GL450 PE, 06 SLK55
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just traded in a 2003 G500 (silver) for a 2005 (black)....awaiting delivery in mid feb. I had ordered all options on the 03' which were standard on the 05 ...hence the couple thousand price hike.

I was wondering if anyone had added the sattelite radio option to the 05 model and if they had any comments about the interface with the old command system that the G uses.

Also, has the navigation been updated to DVD?

thanks

·
Registered
G 500, 55K
486 Posts
CD ROM

THough the hardware may be the same CD ROM the new Navtech discs are much better than the old '02. One can program NYC to Washington, DC which was not possible with the old disc. Now the major interstates are on every disc. THis makes the system very usable. Before if your local disc did not have your destination you were going to have to make the trip in two or three legs and needed to look at a map to guide the nav system to guide you. Pretty ridiculous. The new system of software makes it possible to travel and program across the US with one disc by interstate. A real improvement. I have used the Lexus DVD system and actually prefer certain features of the updated G's.

·
Registered
07 GL450 PE, 06 SLK55
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the info about the nav system. The navigation on the 03 simply sucked when you had to go from one region to the next.

I ordered the sat radio hook up 5min ago it was 699 if activated at time of delivery and included 14 months of subscription.

Sounds pretty good check out

sirius.com if anyone is interested.

best

·
Registered
02 G500
2,254 Posts
i have it. its kinda a trick.... they have a lot of channels but its a lot of the same channels. like 15 country channels, 12 sportsx 18 news ect... still beats the regular radio... but they can say what they want on it so a lot of time you a of F this F that.

·
Registered
G 500, 55K
486 Posts
Sirius

I have a non factory Sirius setup that I love. It is direct wired into the AUX. It is split between that and the keds DVD direct input to the AUX. I have lifetime Sirius and the entire thing with the lifetime subscrption was less than $1,000. The nice part about the aftermarket is the jump to traffic and weather and the 30 station presets. I will eventually post pictures when my hands warm up enough to touch a camera.

·
Registered
02 G500
114 Posts
RE: CD ROM

Is this a different Nav system or just different cd's? Would they work on my 02? Having to switch disks mid trip is a pain. Also, is there a way to look for a street if you don't know the city? I was looking for a street outside of Baltimore the other day and since I thought it was Baltimore and it turned out to be some little city I had never heard of I could never pull it up. Any way to skip the city input? My alpine Nav on my other car you can put in the street and it brings up every street with that name in order of what is closest to your position. Works great.

·
Registered
G 500, 55K
486 Posts
I have the same '02 that you have and I have the new discs. THe only difference is the discs which can be ordered from Navtech. There is no difference in the hardware just the software which is supplied on the CD roms. Navtech sent a special notice around in November that they were sending new discs and that if you preordered you could get them cheap. I did.

·
Registered
02 G500
2,254 Posts
my nav is never used. my car came from Geroga and i live in va. So it like Ah... you have a navigation, yea but it does not work... At the same time dads tahoe has it and it does not use a disc, and its on all the time... just another example of how gm has passed mercedes again.

·
Registered
111.010 121.942 202.033
1,850 Posts
Kerr - 1/27/2005 12:40 PM

my nav is never used. my car came from Geroga and i live in va. So it like Ah... you have a navigation, yea but it does not work... At the same time dads tahoe has it and it does not use a disc, and its on all the time... just another example of how gm has passed mercedes again.
GM uses a DVD disk.

·
Registered
2004 MB G500 Black
1,175 Posts
Kerr...i assume that you do not have the entire US CD-Rom mapping. You need to get the disc for your state, or just buy the whole US.

·
Registered
02 G500
114 Posts
Are they only available at the dealer or is there a cheaper source?

Thanks

·
Registered
G 500, 55K
486 Posts
Hit the info button and speak to the sales rep for accessories. Also look up Navtech and call. There is supposed to be a new set coming out "soon". This means that last version will be price reduced. You need the whole US if you really want to use nav and I have used it a lot. It is actually quite good with the new cd rom setup. Benefits as opposed to the GM system are the ability to pdate with small roads easily. This means that one must be willing to spend for new CD's. Also youcould just update your local map and keep the rest of US to redue cost. I must say that system thus far has been very robust and reliable.

·
Registered
07 GL450 PE, 06 SLK55
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i think it is an ergonomics issue that you cant fit the ML dvd system into the G class. The G uses the c & s class command systems before their interior facelifet and switch to DVD.

I wish they had done the same with the G with the hefty $78K price tag. Also, the new climate control setup in the c class with the digital readout is much more elegant compared to the two knobs that they fit in the G.

I could go on and on with how much they should have added on to the G class. I would have no problem forking the extra 20k for the G55 if it had other amenities like active ventilated seats, driver dynamic seats, and distronic cruise control (i will miss the leg muscle workout on the highway[:)]

Anywho, the car still has an amazing drivetrain and has more curb appeal that any other SUV on the market....

·
Registered
2005 g500
316 Posts
Something to keep in mind when comparing DVD to CDROM navigation systems is that while the DVD is more convenient, the CDROMS are generally alot more accurate and also less costly to replace/upgrade when needed.

Just an FYI from someone who has used both back to back for the same trip.

·
Registered
G 500, 55K
486 Posts
Ears must be burning

I walk into my office this am and on my desk are the 01/05 NavTeq new North America disks. Call phone # 1888NavMaps fir assistance and ordering!

·
Registered
2005 g500
316 Posts
RE: Ears must be burning

Are those the cds that work with the command system?

I'm just curious because mbusa overcharges by quite a bit for them and I would prefer not buying stuff for a premium if I can help it.

·
Registered
02 G500
114 Posts
RE: Ears must be burning

I just called them and they said you must have a subscription to get the disks from them. They said if you sign up now you won't receive one until 1/06. They told me to go to the dealer. They said they just started shipping the new ones on Wednesday so they should have them any day now. Didn't have a clue on price.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts