Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
'07 E63 Wagon; '12 Range Rover HSE
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I only drive wagons, which makes it tough to buy a good car here in the US. While the E55 wagon and the RS6 Avant are both available outside of the US, they were not imported for DOT costs.

Well, I'm in talks with a dealer now about his '05 E55 Wagon that he claims hit port last week and he is supposed to take today or tomorrow. I did a quick search on this site and found no mention of the wagon. I'd looked on the MB USA site and found no info. Is this guy bluffing me?

Needless to say, if he is right (and if I can get my wife to agree) I'm trading up from the fun/safe V70R to the inspiring and exciting E55 Wagon.

I stumbled on the dealer as I've been in the market for a clean and well-priced G500, which he does quite well with (he specializes in G500's and LR Defender 90's and 110's).

If I'm off base, lemme know. But otherwise, I hope to join the ranks of happy AMG Benz drivers.

Cheers.[^]

·
Registered
e55k,
252 Posts
by special order I believe they are available there was a post awhile back about it. I want one! OHH if it only had 4matic!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
jimand7 - 2/16/2005 2:35 PM

OHH if it only had 4matic!
That is my only concern. I am willing to give up having a 6-spd MT wagon for a slush box (given the huge step-up in torque), but having only RWD is troubling in the northest. Honestly, we don't drive much as it is (10k in 18 months) as my wife and I both commute via train into Manhattan to work, and most of our driving is on the hwy for summer road trips. Nevertheless, I can motor through a foot of snow if I have to with my winter tires on in the AWD wagon. The Haldex system was programmed to run a pretty neutral feel (just with sure grip).

I guess I'd never turn the traction control off in the E55 wagon. [:D]

Thanks for confiming my info. Cheers.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is Blk/Blk and I was told the wagon has the premium package, lighting package, third-row seats and a couple other things. I'll get some photos in the next day or two. I'm still not 100% clear on packages since I hadn't really been in the market for an E-class (started on the G-wagen trail).

·
Registered
2005 E55 Wagon
6 Posts
I have one on order...

The only one I know to be on sale presently is from Copley Motor Cars in Boston:

http://www.copleymotorcars.com/mercedes_benz5_55.5vo649.html

I placed an order for mine mid-December 2004 for a planned delivery of May, 2005. Apparently there are only a limited number being imported under a trial MBUSA program (I've heard about 20 for MY 2005) to gauge demand. Mine will be pewter silver with black two-toned interior, fullly optioned. The dealer had to deal directly with MBUSA as this was a special unadvertised program, and I had to sign a one year no-sell agreement with MBUSA to reduce speculation I was told. Dealers were not allowed to place inventory orders, only invited individuals on a build-to-order basis. Full sticker price, few options, most things standard.

How Copley gets around the no-sell agreement I do not know.

·
Registered
e55k,
252 Posts
very interesting! I hope they release them fully...my dealer told me he had heard of them possibly being offered but there was no official word. SO your answer makes total sense to me. THANKS!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
skburger - 3/1/2005 4:31 PM
The only one I know to be on sale presently is from Copley Motor Cars in Boston...
Also one on ebay in Florida (from dealer)...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4531870692&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT

skburger - 3/1/2005 4:31 PM
I had to sign a one year no-sell agreement with MBUSA to reduce speculation I was told. Dealers were not allowed to place inventory orders, only invited individuals on a build-to-order basis.

How Copley gets around the no-sell agreement I do not know.
I've been in talks with Stuart (at Copley) for a couple weeks. I spotted his add in the WSJ a few weeks back. I was never made aware of the "no-sell" agreement, as neither he nor the shop in Greenwich made mention of it. I may pick up the Copley wagon on Monday if all goes right. Still "chatting."

The dealer in Greenwich was all smiles for about a week when I made my initial inquiry. I test drove an E55 sedan to know what I was movin' up to and I told him to ask MBUSA if an order could be placed for the wagon. But since last week, I've sensed some friction with him. He asked me what I "intended to do with the car."

So to Copley I may go.

Oh, in case a few folks haven't seen this German clip of the E55 wagon on the track, please enjoy!

http://video.sport1.de/pub/Video/msmedia//de/Motorvision/Motorvision/mv74-mercedes_wmt_adsl.asf

·
Registered
241 Posts
I had a 2000 E55T 4Matic wagon of the old 210 chassie and the car was fantastic. It was one out of about 60 special built by AMG. I got the topspeed limiter taken away and also modified the exhoust (no cats!) and it had about 385hp. The car did 285 km/h (177 mph) on the autobahn!!

Because of low demand they will not make a 4Matic version of the new modell (211), unless the US market will start asking for it.

So go to your local dealer and demand a E55K T 4Matic AMG and maybe they will start producing it.

Now I drive a 2004 E500T 4Matic wagon with complete AMG bodykit, exhoust etc today and the car it very nice, but a E55K T AMG 4Matic would be the best!![:)]

·
Registered
e55k,
252 Posts
I was told that the awd system could not handle all that torque...but than again doesn't the G55K have it? talk to me!

·
Registered
241 Posts
Hell jimand7.

I own a a parallell AMG and 4Matic import company to Norway and I buy most of my cars from one of the oldest AMG dealers i Germany. My contactperson told me that AMG did consider a 4Matic version of the new E55K AMG (the compressor E55) but according to feedback from major markets (included the US, I guess) they droped it because the demand was not there.

So, if the market start demanding it I think they, in fact, will look into it again.

It is NOT a technical problem at all. Kleemann (a danish Mercedes-Benz tuner, see www.kleemann.dk) are installing aftermarket compressors to the E500 4Matic and they are giving the car 506hp/675Nm (compared to E55K AMG with 476hp/750Nm) without modefying ANYTHING to the 4Matic system.
AND they are giving warranty!

So honestly, I think the problem is within MBUSA, because it seems they are not giving their cutomers what they want, if they tell AMG that a E55K T AMG Wagon with 4Matic is a bad idea!!

I know for a fact that BMW for instance is working on a "on demand" 4X4 system for all cars and a 550 hp version of their X5 is also under consideration (I have a friend working for BMW M-division).

And I for one, think it would be nice to have a E55K T AMG with 4Matic in the wintertime and backwheeldrive in the summertime.

In Norway the E55K T AMG is not selling at all because it is not a 4Matic, while the Porsche Cayenne is selling very good both the Turbo version and the S version.
So I think it is a big mistake to make a E55K T AMG without 4Matic, but in Germany which is one of the biggest market for the E55K T AMG wagon they do not demand 4Matic.

Best regards, Ansan

·
Registered
e55k,
252 Posts
Thanks, for the info! I wonder in the 4matic setup if itb messes up the performance handling? I love the idea of an "on demand" 4wd system but another BMW is not in the cards as my wifes father is a MErcedes Dealer here in the US. I would buy a 4matic e55kt if there was one!
best
jim

·
Registered
2005 E55 Wagon
6 Posts
Let me know once you get your vehicle, as I'm curious what to anticipate. I will be using the E55 Wagon as a daily driver to initially replace my S430 and perhaps later this year my G500 as well. I viewed this model as an all-in-one replacement for both vehicles, as it provided the hauling room of the G500, the ride of the S430, and the performance of a high-line sports car.

I called my local dealer today, and anticipated delivery date is late April or early May, 2005. I'm supposedly getting #16 of 20 being delivered for MY 2005. No orders are being placed at this time for MY 2006, as I suppose MBUSA will want to see how the present year's models pan out.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just spoke with "Larry" at the MB dealership on Park Ave in Manhattan (company showroom) and they have one on the showroom. I'll check it out tomorrow at lunch. It's grey, but my wife and I want black, so we may just get the one in Boston on Monday. When I asked about the feel of the car, the dealer in Boston said that the drive feels much like sedan. This wagon is a full 400 lbs heavier than my AWD Volvo! Should be exciting to get a heavier car move so much faster than the R!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just put my order in today. April build, and May delivery.

All I can say is that this has been painful. Getting the truth out of some of these dealers is like pulling teeth. I've heard that there will be anywhere between 20 and 150 in 2005. But then when the dealer gave the "pressure" sell, he said that if I don't put some money down NOW, that I'd miss the April build and end up on the May build list for late June delivery. Bottom line is that they can build as many US spec 55 wagons as they want.

This whole thing has been like waiting behind the velvet ropes at some club in NYC. I hope to feel better once I get inside. That's usually the case with the good clubs in NYC.

Anyone who wants pics or who can host them for the site, just let me know and I can e-mail about 15 very good, pics of the car that is listed in Boston at Copley Motor Cars. I passed on that car b/c the owner was less than timely (or complete) with information. Anyone who buys from him should just walk in with money in hand.

This will be a long two months! [:)]

Cheers

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No discount. Just MSRP. The dealer can't keep them on the floor. He sold one on Tuesday sight unseen from a "Park Ave walk-in" customer! He also told me that one 55 wagon just came to the US with a very special leather trim: Hermes leather!!! Yeah, some exec in Germany had it fitted with Hermes tan leather (grey paint) and it was accidentally shipped to the US. Not sure how they got around emissions issues, but I suppose the dealer could be full of it too. The car is going to the Beverly Hills dealer, so folks in So Cal be on the look out.

My car on order:
I got Black on Charcoal. Premium package, lighting package, tire pressure monitor, window shades (for my daughter!), third row, keyless-go and the burl walnut wood trim.

Price tag: $92,300.

I feel like a fool to spend this kind of money on a car. I used to be so practical. The only debt I had was for the house, but now I'll have car payments in a couple months. I must be nuts, and I'll continue to think that I'm nuts until my first drive, after which point, I think that I'm so smart! [^]

Seriously, I can't wait for those seats. Venting is such a great option. And as trivial as it sounds, the sun shades will be key. Sleeping babies hate afternoon sun! Volvo has never offered the option and the aftermarket products look so ghetto.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts