Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys.
Our brake wear warning message has came on. Our car is pushing 100k and we will soon be replacing it as soon as we find a used 2010/11 with a keyless go, which has turned out to be very hard to find. I'm not wanting to spend over 1k to replace the brakes since we're going to trade it very soon. We have a repair shop in my area that works on Mercedes and he's willing to let us buy our own rotors,pads, and sensors from Autozone and they'll install everything for $189.00. Parts will be around $370.00. Of course he said no warranty, but is willing to do it. I questioned him about the SBC system and he seemed very knowledgeable about it . He said he had the computer system to do this. Is there any reason buying from Autozone will cause any problems with the car? I know they wont perform as well, and probably will not last as long, but at this point I'm really only trying to get the warning message off, and trying to buy a little time before we trade it in for another car.

Thanks.

·
Registered
12 Posts
BRAKE ROTORS & PADS

I have always purchased other than OEM rotors and CERAMIC pads for my E class in the past. They were purchased on EBAY at a 'package" price for rotors and pads. They work perfectly on all my cars. They are cadmium plated so no rusty look when you see them.

·
Registered
35,778 Posts
You don't need a computer to work on SBC brakes. Just follow the safety procedure with locking the car and locking the key.
Why are you replacing the rotors? Do they have any problems?
Brake pads are cheap enough to buy the good ones, however choice is not easy. OEM pads provide good braking force and ... dust on the wheels. The best balance for me are Akebonos pads, that still guarantee decent performance and no dust. Since you are planning to sell the car, the dust on the wheels will be the issue.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You don't need a computer to work on SBC brakes. Just follow the safety procedure with locking the car and locking the key.
Why are you replacing the rotors? Do they have any problems?
Brake pads are cheap enough to buy the good ones, however choice is not easy. OEM pads provide good braking force and ... dust on the wheels. The best balance for me are Akebonos pads, that still guarantee decent performance and no dust. Since you are planning to sell the car, the dust on the wheels will be the issue.
No problem with anything other than the message light. I've always been told to either turn or replace the rotors when replacing pads or it wouldn't do any good. What is this locking and locking the key?

·
Registered
35,778 Posts
Go to W211 section for lot of details how to work on SBC brakes.
Sounds like you have not hear that before, but rotors can last for several pads changes. They just need to be inspected for damages or excessive wear.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts