Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I am new to the forums and to Mercedes Benz.

I recently purchased an used 2005 E320 124k miles, which ran perfect when test driven. However, shortly after I brought her home, I began noticing a few things. One of which is a vibration from the engine.

I've done a few Google searches on the issue, which all led me a motor mount issue. However, my vibration differs in that it does not vibrate during idle. While in gear, or in neutral/park, the engine gives off a slight vibration from 1k-4k rpm.

Also, when observed with the hood open and rev'd, the motor does not move much.

Can someone point me to a few things to look out for?

Can it be the harmonic balancer?
Can I be running on fewer than 6 cylinders? - Wouldn't this cause a check engine light?
Can it be an exhaust leak? - Friend said that his E320 had a crack in the catalytic converter.

Thanks in advance! I hope this is a small issue that can be quickly overcome and I can start enjoying my first Mercedes.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
After driving it today, I find that the vibration is most noticeable when first driving her. The vibration eases after a few minutes on the freeway. It is almost as if the issue is temperature dependant.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Sure. With that mileage , motor mounts are the first thing to replace, when dealing with vibration issues as they collapse and loose hydraulic fluid they are filled with. Just don't buy cheap no brand parts. I think either febi or Lemfroder are used on those cars.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If it is the general consensus that the motor mounts are faulty, should I go ahead and change the transmission mount as well?

Any advice to where I should purchase these parts from will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I think that if you had misfire issues CEL would be illuminated. And I have seen MM fail as early as 50-60k

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yes on the trans. mount. That way you eliminate any possibilities of mount related vibration. It is very easy to replace if you are planning to do it on your own.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Since the motor mounts are fluid filled, would I be able to detect any type of leakage when they fail? If so, should this be the first thing I check before spending money?

Other than the actual vibration itself, what other ways can I diagnose a failed motor mount?

Thanks for answering my questions...I have many.

Also, if there are others in the forum experienced with this car, please chime in.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
1 - 12 of 12 Posts