Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fuel injectors badly leaked. Cost-prohibitive for me to repair. It's at my mechanic's in Tulsa, OK.

·
Registered
36 Posts
If you end up parting it out at all, I'll take the coolant lines that go to and from the EGR valve. Mine has sprung a leak and even the dealer "can't" figure out how to search for it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Actually, I want to sell the vehicle to someone who wishes to part it out; I wouldn't know how to begin. The body is in good shape -- small nicks and dents but nothing substantial and most are barely noticeable. I will check with my former mechanic and see if he wants to handle it. There's an LKQ Parts shop less than a mile from him, and he could sell it to them. I'll do that tomorrow and will let you know what I learn. Stay tuned. Thank you for your response.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No, because all fuel injectors need replacing. The cost to do that is roughly $10,000, including labor. It died the week before Christmas when I was out. I call AAA to tow it to the mechanic's. He diagnosed it, telling me about the need to replace the injectors.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No, because all fuel injectors need replacing. The cost to do that is roughly $10,000, including labor. It died the week before Christmas when I was out. I call AAA to tow it to the mechanic's. He diagnosed it, telling me about the need to replace the injectors.

I had been driving the car with no problem at all. In fact, I had done contract teaching for three months in a small OK town 70 miles away...had driven there daily for that time. Thank God it was the week after that stint ended when the car died.

·
Registered
36 Posts
So they told you ALL the injectors died at the same time and it's $10k to replace them? Do you have some pictures or another shop that can give you another estimate? You can get a whole brand new engine for $13k. Even at dealer mark-up the injectors are about $700/ea.

I'm new to these, but have done a lot of research and work on my own. This seems like a crazy price. Did the engine light come on?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So they told you ALL the injectors died at the same time and it's $10k to replace them? Do you have some pictures or another shop that can give you another estimate? You can get a whole brand new engine for $13k. Even at dealer mark-up the injectors are about $700/ea.

I'm new to these, but have done a lot of research and work on my own. This seems like a crazy price. Did the engine light come on?
No, the engine light wasn't on, but the injectors had so badly leaked that they were melded together under the hood. That is what increased the cost -- I would have also needed the housing for the fuel injectors. I asked why they hadn't seen it when they changed the oil the past couple of times. He said they use "quick lube" techs who are not experienced at detecting issues under the hood. I said if you are using unskilled techs to change the oil, why do you charge $120. I could have gone to Jiffy Lube! When the dealership discovered the issue, it was because of a certain odor, so they said, and they quoted an outrageous $18,000 cost to repair the vehicle.. There is only one Mercedes dealership in the Tulsa area and it is incredible how they take advantage of their customers. Years ago I warned two friends not to buy their vehicles there. They did anyway -- each had bought a brand new SUV. The service was so poor that they each traded theirs in for a brand new Lexus (they don't know each other); they said they felt respected at Lexus, unlike at the Mercedes dealer's. So, a quote of less than half was believable but there was no way I would have paid that amount, especially since for months I've been looking at buying a Subaru Crosstrek with a diesel engine. Also, my mechanic for the past 10+ years had been a former tech from the dealership who had opened a shop. I returned to the dealership for service only when my mechanic decided to retire for the second and final time. Alternatives are few, and his pending retirement is why I'm moving away from Mercedes. And now you know the rest of the story. Anyway, I didn't get to my former mechanic's yet, and may not get there till the weekend, but I'll be in touch.

·
Registered
2006 e320 CDI Williamsburg, VA
416 Posts
As BrokenCDI stated, it sounds like severe "black death". Just do a search on that and you will see many results. A bad injector does not leak "above" the injector. The black death is caused by the copper washer that seals the injector to the head. It is a tedious job to get all that black gunk cleaned off and pull the injectors. I assume the vehicle runs? If so, your injectors are good. If you had more than one bad injector, your vehicle would not start. Anyway, that is my thoughts!
Mike T.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Oh man. Is there a local mercedes owner's group or anything like that? I bet somebody would be willing to help work on it if there is. That would suck to feel like you have to give up on it. I think if it runs, it's probably fixable. Even if you need a new valve cover and other top side parts.

Mine's at a local shop here in Nashville waiting on a new (used) engine for replacement since I was dumb and bought one with a knock that would probably eventually have grenaded itself.

·
Registered
2006 E320 CDI
683 Posts
Actually, I want to sell the vehicle to someone who wishes to part it out; I wouldn't know how to begin. The body is in good shape -- small nicks and dents but nothing substantial and most are barely noticeable. I will check with my former mechanic and see if he wants to handle it. There's an LKQ Parts shop less than a mile from him, and he could sell it to them. I'll do that tomorrow and will let you know what I learn. Stay tuned. Thank you for your response.
$10,000 you are being ripped off, the injectors are probably still good as long as they dont damage them by removing them, each $350 at FCP, the black gunk can be remove with tar solvents. You probably need a few tools, injector seat brushes. If you have somewhere to work on it, it will be a fun project.

·
Registered
2005 E320 CDI *black on black with nearly every option*
992 Posts
Buy om647 injectors from eBay and have your mechanic put them in for you. Injectors are +-$200 a piece, for about $1200 plus labor (should NOT be very much, injectors only take 15-20 minutes per injector to change.) you could have the best diesel car ever made back on the road.

·
Registered
2012 S350 BlueTEC (2), 2005 S430, 2005 E320 CDI, 2009 E320 BlueTEC
231 Posts
Had mine done 2 years ago at MB dealership. 6 brand new MB injectors (remans from MB were N/A at the time) AND a new high pressure pump. Paid $4000 total parts and labor. Can' t imagine how any place could gouge a person to the tune of $10,000 for that work. Outrageous! Agree with Rossafuss, for a DIY job, the 647 injectors are the way to go.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sounds like a bad case of 'mercedes black death'...
Black Death, indeed. If you could see how black it is where all the injectors appear to have leaked and the housing or casing is black and all stuck together. It would be a difficult job, to be sure. The dealership quoted me $18,000!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
$10,000 you are being ripped off, the injectors are probably still good as long as they dont damage them by removing them, each $350 at FCP, the black gunk can be remove with tar solvents. You probably need a few tools, injector seat brushes. If you have somewhere to work on it, it will be a fun project.
I wish you lived nearby for this "fun project". I'd pass it on to to you in a heartbeat!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts