Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
97 SL500, 98 E320 Wagon, 2002 ML500 - former W108/W112/W114/W123/W124/W126/W140/W220
6,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had a couple of leaky injectors on this car, specifically, #3 and #4. No Black Death, just some slight bubbling if you sprayed anything around the injectors while the engine was running.

I had to buy the slide hammer tool, which I found on Amazon for a very good deal in their "Warehouse" stuff. This was the good quality tool that was over $100, not the cheap ones under $50.

Got the car good and hot and tore into it. #4 was reluctant to come out, but finally did. #3 was easier and only took a few hits from the slide hammer. Understandably, #4 was also cruddier. Had my son clean the injector bodies while I cleaned the bores. Fortunately we had just replaced all of the glow plugs last week, so I kept things clean by running compressed air into the glow plug ports while I worked in the injector bores. Long Qtips with the wooden sticks worked well for cleaning the hold down bolt bores.

When I went to cut the seats I was surprised to find that the seats were dished. The copper washers that came out were dished, too, and noticeably thicker than the washers supplied by Mercedes. I suspect that someone got sloppy and put some of the thicker Honda diesel washers that people in Europe have found to seal these well. Hmm.

Anyway, I had to do some serious cutting to get the seats flat again. Once that was done, the injectors got greased up with the silicone grease from Mercedes, the new copper sealing washers went in, and the injectors and the hold down clamps were put into place. Hold down bolts were torqued to 7 nm and then two 90 degree turns were made.

Connected everything back up and tested. No seeping/leaks!

We suspect the glow plug controller was bad, as it was definitely not glowing when cold. While I was poking around blindly trying to locate the glow plug controller, I found the B+ line connector for the controller hanging loose! It had been disconnected. I plugged it back in, but as the engine was still pretty warm and the ambient temp was around 90F we couldn't tell if it was working. Tomorrow morning we'll know for sure, as it will be in the 60s.

After reading all the horror stories here about things like broken hold down bolts I had been really paranoid about doing this job. It wasn't nearly as bad as I expected. I took my time and made sure everything was as close to surgically clean as possible, which I'm sure helped.

·
Registered
2005 E320 CDI *black on black with nearly every option*
948 Posts
for future reference, its recommended to only do ONE 90 degree turn on the hold down bolt, not 2. its not just because of a risk of snapping that bolt in the future, but because that amount of torque gradually ripping out the threads in the head. this is a design flaw by MB only using one hold down bolt, and by calling for so much torque to hold that injector down. Sprinter service techs have been warning about this issue for years.

All 6 of my injectors are torqued down to 7nm + ONE 90 turn, and none of the injectors leak at all.

With the glow plug controller issue, do you have any check engine light or stored codes relating to the glow plug control module?

·
Registered
97 SL500, 98 E320 Wagon, 2002 ML500 - former W108/W112/W114/W123/W124/W126/W140/W220
6,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a CEL but it’s due to the EGR being disconnected. Haven’t had a chance to put the SDS on the car since I did the injectors, but will probably get to it this weekend.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I am having issues with one of my Glow Plugs on Cylinder 5. Could it be the controller? If so, where can I find the controller to test it out?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts