Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just purchased a new 2005 e-class and it started having problems immediately. We've had the car 6 weeks and it has been in the service department 3 times already. Is anyone else having problems? We are beginning to think it may be a manufacturer problem with the new 2005's.

·
Registered
SL550
949 Posts
Please be specific

If you are more specific you will improve your chance of getting replies. Exactly what problems did you encounter?

·
Registered
ML550, W212 E350 4 matic, 1966 Corvette C2 convt.
2,675 Posts
Have had my 05 E since Feb 1 and have experienced zero problems.

·
Registered
E320
128 Posts
RE: 2005 E350 problems

Thus far my E320/2004 with 14000 miles has had 9-10 problems. The E350 I borrowed had no problems. See item 9.

1. Defect fuel indicator - shows 0 even when filling the tank. Fixed.

2. Defect GPS system - reset without explanation while driving. Only happened once.

3. Defect EPS system - "Visit Workshop" alert message. Fixed.

4. Service recall – software. Fixed.

5. Defect AC system/heater - Sometimes the heater blows cold air even when the thermostat is set to 82 F. The service center said twice that there was no problem since they could not replicate it. Finally there were able to replicate it. A new temperature control unit has been ordered but not installed.

6. Defect AC system/heater – High pitched sound from AC system vents.

7. Car stalled in the middle of an intersection after braking suddenly. Only happened once.

8. Sometimes the car jerks multiple times at speeds below 7 mph. I’m very concerned about this issue. The transmission control unit was replaced. The problem seems to be fixed.

9. Unexpected/uneven gear shifts at speeds between 10 and 40 mph sometimes results in jerking or surging. Not fixed. The E350 I borrowed while my E320 was being repaired was much more comfortable either because the car didn’t have problems or because of a new type of transmission and suspension.

·
Registered
E320 W211
64 Posts
tcpgv we don't need to see your list over and over again in all the threads on this forum.

Vickie: yes please be more specific. I have had mine since Feb05, also experienced 0 problems.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
vickie - 4/15/2005 7:14 AM

We just purchased a new 2005 e-class and it started having problems immediately. We've had the car 6 weeks and it has been in the service department 3 times already. Is anyone else having problems? We are beginning to think it may be a manufacturer problem with the new 2005's.
Welcome to the new Mercedes Benz. Unfortunately, the E-class is now ranked the least reliable passenger car in North America by Consumer Reports...

·
Registered
1985 300sd
445 Posts
RE: 2005 E350 problems

tcpgv - 4/15/2005 3:45 PM

Thus far my E320/2004 with 14000 miles has had 9-10 problems. The E350 I borrowed had no problems. See item 9.

1. Defect fuel indicator - shows 0 even when filling the tank. Fixed.

2. Defect GPS system - reset without explanation while driving. Only happened once.

3. Defect EPS system - "Visit Workshop" alert message. Fixed.

4. Service recall – software. Fixed.

5. Defect AC system/heater - Sometimes the heater blows cold air even when the thermostat is set to 82 F. The service center said twice that there was no problem since they could not replicate it. Finally there were able to replicate it. A new temperature control unit has been ordered but not installed.

6. Defect AC system/heater – High pitched sound from AC system vents.

7. Car stalled in the middle of an intersection after braking suddenly. Only happened once.

8. Sometimes the car jerks multiple times at speeds below 7 mph. I’m very concerned about this issue. The transmission control unit was replaced. The problem seems to be fixed.

9. Unexpected/uneven gear shifts at speeds between 10 and 40 mph sometimes results in jerking or surging. Not fixed. The E350 I borrowed while my E320 was being repaired was much more comfortable either because the car didn’t have problems or because of a new type of transmission and suspension.
That's ALL BAD!! I am speechless.

·
Registered
2008 Super Charged Range Rover, 2007 GL450, 2007 S65 Renntech'd
197 Posts
I have an 05 E500 since Sept 04 and have had 0 problems with it. I'm 26 and I drive the car very hard. There is over 30,000 miles on the car and I can't say enough good things about it.

·
Registered
2005 E500
141 Posts
I have had a few minor problems with my car and all were fixed within relatively short time periods by the dealership, who I must say was both supportive and cooperative in every case.

I got this 2005 E500 as a replacement for a 2004 Lexus LS430 that I had purchased brand new in May of 2004. That car had problem after problem, many of which were the results of shoddy assembly/workmanship....on a car that is always touted as having the best "fit and finish" by its manufacturer and many third party reviewers like Consumer Reports. In my experience, that Lexus was a POS and didn't even match the quality of two Jeep Grand Cherokee's that I have previously owned. The service at the Lexus dealership was also complete crap. I had to argue with them to get them to even look into fixing things (for example like the carpeting that kept separating from the trim and rolling up like in some cheap 1970's "K" car). Then their strategy would be to tell me that I actually didn;t have a defect/problem. Then finally after I had to ask Lexus corporate to intervene, they would attempt to fix things, but in the quickest, most half-assed manner possible, which would result in the problem recurring and me having to go back to the shop and start he process over again. My point...just because Conumer Reports says something is fantastic does not mean that your experience with that product will be fantastic.

A 2005 E Class is a very technically advanced car with alot of systems in it that can have minor issues. Yes, there is no excuse for these not to be all set up correctly when you get the car from the dealership. However, it seems like any technically advanced car is going to have some issues with it.

I haven;t had any major problems like transmission or brake problems. Mine were simply annoying things like a passenger side seatbelt sensor that would give false alarms and a CD changer that skipped. My dealership took it upon themselves to take every action neccessary to correct these issues, and they were successful in every case.

I really like the E500 and I would consider another Mercedes-Benz for my next vehicle as well.

·
Registered
1985 300sd
445 Posts
Are you serious??? I want an 04 LS430 with a passion. You had alot of problems with that car. Boy I am suprised.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I am a car dealer and sell both Lexus and Mercedes and let me tell you at a factory Lexus sell there is alot of lemon law buy backs. Lexus has a service dept for a reason. But I do think that Lexus have fewer problems the the Benz but Lexus also have less technology.

·
Registered
2005 E320 CDI
92 Posts
No problems so far with my 2005 E320 CDI after 28,500 miles.

The Lexus LS430 is a very handsome car, especially its interpretation of Mercedes styling. I always considered the Lexi to be aseptic and numb as cars, styled with absolutely no imagination, but maybe that has changed. I would have tried one, but my Benz was $20,000 less and seemed a better car anyway.

·
Registered
2005 E500
141 Posts
Yes the LS430 does look suspiciously similar to the S-Class mercedes (although not quite as nice IMHO). Unfortunately, its handdling characteristics were more similar to those of a large Buick sedan, and its build quality more reminiscent of a lower end Toyota.

Off topic I know...but after having the Lexus experience, and taking a haircut on depreciation when I had to trade it after only a few months....I just couldn't resist the opening [:D]

·
Registered
1983 300sd turbo/bio
26 Posts
The major issues with the new E class as a whole in my town are mostly electrical related.MB has numerous campaigns out for related complaints. With cutting edge technology,problems will be there for sure. Now, alot of times.....alot.....problems are customer induced. For expamle. installing CD-R's in any Mercedes CD player is asking for trouble. Use only comercial CD's. Customers not reading the owners manual is quite common. Steam cleaning the engine.....especially on 96 models and up,must be very careful. My recommendation would be to check out the CDI versions. They are quite impressive and when delivered have the latest greatest software and as a whole have the least amount of problems out of any new E class. And CDI is playing heavily into the future with MB. Just relased press on the E 420 CDI in 2006!!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have had a 2005 E320 since Oct 2004. The car has had numerous problems, some of which are still unresolved. It has spent at least 17 days at the dealership. Most of these problems were electrical. The latest involves the Tele-Aid, apparently. About 10 seconds after the car is shut off a loud screeching starts, like a dial-up modem trying to connect. Occasionally the Tele-Aid rep comes on. They act very embarrassed when I explain what is happening and quickly terminate the call. The dealer has tried to fix this once but the problem mysteriously stopped and they couldn't reproduce it. Now I have it on video tape and they will try again. This is only one of many problems in 6000 miles we've had this car. I am very disappointed.

Jason

·
Registered
2005 E320 CDI
92 Posts
Sorry to hear about the problems.

I have 31,000 miles on my CDI and no problems so far. The car runs better it seems, after the miles with the engine being smoother and it tracks perfectly.

I only have the heated seats/steering wheel, panoramic roof, Harmon Kardon stereo, and Xenon lights as options.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts