Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Excuse my excitement 'cause I'm a new owner and you guys may already know this stuff. Some info from Steve at MBenzNL, prompted me to mess around with MP3s in my '05 E500. I'm not sure of this, but I think the same applies if your car is manufactured January 2004 or newer (It's somewhere in another post).

1) You can play MP3s from the CD changer AND the single CD slot. The CD changer doesn't support folders. All songs, even if you put them in folders, are displayed as if they were all on one flat list.

2) The single cd slot also reads DVDs! I burned my entire music collection (391 songs) onto a DVD and it's only half full. The single slot allows 1 level of folders. If you have subfolders (folders within folders), they will also brought forward be shown on the folder list for you to scroll through.

3) Bass & treble controls are independent for the single slot, cd changer and radio. So, you can have separate bass/treble settings for each source, the way EVERY head unit should have been built.

Me thinks me likes this car. Too bad I got it for my wife.[:D]

·
Registered
2000 Designo SLK-05 C230WK-05 E320CDi-2010 GLK 350
714 Posts
Where do you call home?
I was under the impression all North American HU's were CD only and only markets outside of North America have DVD capable readers in the H.U.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Southern CA

I can play music from DVD's, but I can't watch DVD videos. It's my understanding that the U.S. versions have a DVD drive in the COMAND, but missing the video decoder hardware.

·
Registered
E320 W211
64 Posts
That's what I've been reading, too. But I've yet to get a mp3 DVD to play in my COMAND headunit. Although there are a lot of others who got it to work.

·
Registered
2000 Designo SLK-05 C230WK-05 E320CDi-2010 GLK 350
714 Posts
MP3 is the audio compression format used by DVD players. If your H.U. is not DVD capable, the odds are the MP3 decoders are also not present.

The N.A. players that do not have DVD players are also missing several connectors and electronic componets on the logic board in the H.U. that would have connected to the DVD drive.

The circuits look similar but the EU Command is a Harmon/Becker built device and the N.A. Command is built by Alpine.

·
Registered
E320 W211
64 Posts
n5160u - 4/6/2005 12:34 AM

MP3 is the audio compression format used by DVD players. If your H.U. is not DVD capable, the odds are the MP3 decoders are also not present.

The N.A. players that do not have DVD players are also missing several connectors and electronic componets on the logic board in the H.U. that would have connected to the DVD drive.

The circuits look similar but the EU Command is a Harmon/Becker built device and the N.A. Command is built by Alpine.
Dude what have you been smoking?

All W211 with MOST ring uses Becker COMAND. Alpine has nothing to do with the COMAND in W211. They only make the COMAND in ML class.

Since late 2004 all w211 COMAND have built in mp3 decoder. And no it is not the drive themselve that decodes it, but rather the headunit's firmware. You can upgrade the COMAND firmware to be mp3 capable. People even sell this upgrade on ebay.

I know my COMAND plays mp3, both from the COMAND drive and also the 6-disc changer. The question is whether the COMAND drive can actually read DVD-R media. Many have reported their can play 4 gigs of mp3 burned on DVD-R, while mine can only play 650megs of mp3 burned on CD.

NA COMAND will not play VIDEO DVD due to the missing decoder circuit. Unlike mp3 decoding, video requires physical decoder chip with more processing power. There is a good writeup on mbenznl dot come comparing the two with pictures.

·
BenzWorld W211 Host
E270 CDI -03
163 Posts
buycheap - 4/5/2005 11:26 PM

Since late 2004 all w211 COMAND have built in mp3 decoder. And no it is not the drive themselve that decodes it, but rather the headunit's firmware. You can upgrade the COMAND firmware to be mp3 capable. People even sell this upgrade on ebay.
I'm thinking of buying the upgrade from some guy on ebay. Does it work for every W211 with comand built before late 2004?

·
Registered
1999 E320 Wagon
367 Posts
Has anyone tried using a DVD-/+RW with MP3s in the HU? Just my own curiosity.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts