Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2005 C320 4matic
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I needed to replace two of my Continentals today, and their website listed my local NTB as my local dealer of these tires. While I was there I was offered a full synth oil change for $59; I asked if they have someone who works on MBs, and if they had 5W40. They said 'yes' to both (well, of course they did), and I agreed to the oil change. After 2 1/2 hours there, they finally completed the work,and I drove off, a bit later for work than I had planned. While I was driving away I looked at the receipt and saw that they had used 10W30 instead of 5W40. Being already late for work, I did not turn around and go back to the NTB. Here is my question: should I get the 10W30 removed and replaced with the 5W40, or should I drive with it in there until the next change? I live in PA with current daytime temps in the low 60s, and nighttime temps in the low 40s.

·
Registered
2002 C32 AMG
1,771 Posts
I would suggest going back, and complaining. Make sure they put in the correct weight and viscosity oil. The oil they used is going to cause additional engine wear. Shouldn't be a big deal as long as you get it corrected soon.

·
Registered
C240WMT
59 Posts
First of all they won't admit they put in 10W30, they'll say something like "that's just standard text on the receipt, it says 10W30 for all oil changes". Unless your smart about it the way you first ask them.

Secondly, 10W30 is fine in your current temperature range. Although I don't recommend you follow FSS this time. Actually I don't recommend you ever follow FSS when it comes to oil changes. I believe FSS is designed to get your car through the warranty period plus some added safety. I doubt very much that FSS followers will get 300K+ out of their engines IMO.

--Victor

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,633 Posts
Go back.

Go back now.

The issue is not only the viscosity but more importantly that the oil is NOT spec oil, particularly so if it is Mobil1, which is the 0W40 or 5W40. You don't say what oil they put in brand-wise and there are some choices commercially, but the only one you can readily find as a consumer is 0W40 Mobil1.

The complete list is here: Mercedes-Benz Engine Oil Recommendations

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg

·
Registered
2011 Mercedes E350 4matic Wagon
1,023 Posts
I would say not a big deal due to recommended oils listed in the manual:
for any temp conditions: 0w-30, 0w-40,5w-30,5w-40,5w-50
Acceptable: above -4F: 10w30,10w40,10w50,10w60
above 5F: 15w40,15w50
above 23F: 20w40,20w50

·
Registered
2004 C230 Kompressor Sport Coupe
1,903 Posts
There is no 10W30 oil available in the US with the correct specifications. Go back, bring your own Mobil or Castrol that meets 229.5 if necessary. It's much cheaper than trying to second-guess the engineers on what is important in the oil spec and what is not.

Of course, there are probably MB owners who go to Iffy Lube and have 100k on their engines. But if you lose this gamble it's a very expensive fix.

·
Registered
C240WMT
59 Posts
229.5 is if you want to follow FSS. I change oil more frequently and use Mobil 1 15W50 in the summer. 0w40 or 10w40 Mobil 1 in the winter.

There is no 10W30 oil available in the US with the correct specifications. Go back, bring your own Mobil or Castrol that meets 229.5 if necessary. It's much cheaper than trying to second-guess the engineers on what is important in the oil spec and what is not.

Of course, there are probably MB owners who go to Iffy Lube and have 100k on their engines. But if you lose this gamble it's a very expensive fix.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts