Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I was wondering if any one can give me some info reguarding installing a cell phone in a 2005 c240. First of all my cars vin is WDBRF61J75A701067. I was informed that the phone installed cost 3000. dollars, as was so expensive due to the fact that the car needed additional parts and have to be wired, but I noticed that there is a connection in the center consul, and its fard for me to believe that that conector isn't pre wired. I was wondering if the universal connecting device will connect and still give all the functions as if installed by factory

thanks ross

·
Registered
2015 GLA 250, 2001 C 320
784 Posts
$3000 is a little high but not that high. All the hardware is about $1600 from the dealer. There is an electronics module, harness, fiber optic connection, compensator, phone interface/cradle, etc that are required. A standard phone install will not interface with the audio system as all the communications and commands go through the optical network. For 2005 there is a new integrated system that I don't have any install info on, yet. If you want to see what it takes to install a phone in a 2004 you can go to my website at:

http://home.earthlink.net/~phdwebsite/

Select the "Phone Bulletins" page and download the 2004 "C" one ... it's more involved than you would think.

The new "MHI" allows you to connect specific "standard" phones after you buy the specific handset interface from Mercedes. Below is a bit of info I copied from the Mercedes Delaers' "Connected Car" website"

We are pleased to announce the release of the MY 2005 C-Class and CLK Cabriolet (A209) Hands Free Communication System. The new C-Class program contains several important enhancements that will make it more attractive to customers and dealers alike. Of special interest is the new Multiple Handset Interface (MHI) architecture that makes the system more flexible so it can easily accept the broad range of handsets coming this summer. MHI will also pay dividends in the future by enabling certified handset upgrades with only a simple, no tools needed, cradle swap. Pricing is all new and optimized according to market and dealer feedback. For the first time, retail VPC and dealer parts pricing have been equalized to provide a more seamless shopping experience for the customer and less risk for the dealer. The following bullets provide all of the details:

Hardware Enhancements:
* New MHI Core kit, Completer kits, and Cradle
* Voice Control System discontinued for 2005 C-Class and CLK-Class
* Supported handsets at launch include V60i and V60x (accommodating AT&T, Cingular, Alltel, and Sprint)
* New range of V600 GSM handsets with matching cradle (early August availability)
* New range of V710 CDMA handsets with matching cradle (3rd Quarter availability, accommodates Verizon)

VPC Package Enhancements:
* The new VPC installed Handsfree Communication System package delivers the core kit and completer kit only
* When the car is delivered, dealer supplies handset and matching cradle
* The price of the dealer delivered handset and matching cradle are not included in the VPC package price
* Dealers must now bill customers separately for the handset and cradle
* For MY 2005 C-Class and CLK-Class, do not continue to pass handsets through at Dnet

·
Registered
2015 GLA 250, 2001 C 320
784 Posts
I was just at my local dealership last week and asked one of the service managers about it. He said they were delayed and may not have them for another month or two. He said the details from MBUSA were unclear as to when it would be available but was pretty sure they would only be offered with new car sales for the first month or so when they do become avaialable .....

[:(!]

·
Registered
36 Posts
Thanks Paul.

I am picking up my new MY05 CLK320 Cab this week and yesterday went to dealer to view the car. (I am in Australia)

They offered me the 6310i or the Sony-Eric T610/630 cradles only. I told them I would wait until more cradles are available.

My current phone is old and barely working as I have been waiting to see what MB choices eventuate. Decided to go for the Motorola V600 based on cradle being available by around Xmas.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.