Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gremlin is a very civil word for what is going thru my mind at the moment.

2005 c230 Kompressor sedan 177k

Been thru all the basics plus the fuse 52 upgrade to 20a.

Replaced all related, even loosely related fuses in all three boxes.

Rotated relays

Taken the center console apart to inspect the neutral lock.

Have a Bosch AGM battery less than a year old all indications are that its fully charged.

Inspected the starter connections and cleaned.

Replaced the camshaft position sensor bank A.

Replaced the crankshaft position sensor. (Was throwing a code with instruction to take to shop as read by my scanner)

I have replaced the reservoir and all pipes and lines on that side.

Cleaned and refit ground points to block at front.

I have cleared the codes.

Used a jumper.

Still, no crank. A slight single click and a low level high pitched whine never noticed before probably because its never not started before. There have not been even the slightest hint of starting problem, ever.
All i can think of left is some inhibitor that is tripped somewhere. 2 days prior the lower radiator hose did come loose spraying water all over but car was immediately stopped, temp never reached above 100 and the thermostat has been replaced for good measure.
Im in the California desert and its winter so heat is not a problem and temps rarely get near freezing overnight and have yet to this year.
If i had any hair left I would pull it out.
ANY HELP, secret handshakes, MB Illuminati direct line, correct sacrificial object, voodoo doll,
ANYTHING?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wasnt present when the coolant sprayed all over. I can say that the car was driven 125 mi after the incident then parked. I was out of town for the holidsys and came back 4 days later to the no crank situation.

·
Registered
2003 C320 coupe, 2000 ML320
673 Posts
Coolant can be quite corrosive, .. You might want to take a look underneath the fuse block.. Or in any other place that it might have gotten into with electronics.. Am I correct in reading that you used jumpers straight to the starter and it didn't engage, turn over ?? Battery direct to starter,.. It's got to be battery or starter ... Maybe the coolant worked it's way into the starter somehow ...

·
Registered
1999 E320, 2003 E320 Wagon, 2005 C230K SS, 2010 Accord LX w Eibach & Koni FSD's
2,658 Posts
2 days prior the lower radiator hose did come loose spraying water all over but car was immediately stopped, temp never reached above 100
I wasn't present when the coolant sprayed all over. I can say that the car was driven 125 mi after the incident then parked.
Conflicting information here. Check to see if you can turn engine manually with a socket and breaker bar on the crankshaft (clockwise only).

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks bobby735.
Havnt jumped directly to starter, its extremely cramped with the supercharger in there and was afraid of arcing. Ill take the battery to the dealer and inspect the engine compartment SAM a bit closer. I really dont want to replace that starter. My choices are remove the exhaust manifold or disconnect the steering linkage and go from the underside.

Will update in a couple hours.
Thanks again. :sick:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Conflicting information here. Check to see if you can turn engine manually with a socket and breaker bar on the crankshaft (clockwise only).
Thanks 260e
Let me clarify the presumed conflict you are referring to.
The hose came loose ( due to my improper installation)
The car was pulled to roadside and towed to nearby location.
The hose was reattached
Vehicle was then driven back home 125mi without incident.

Will follow your suggestion on the crankshaft and update shortly

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Please disregard above post.

Oops..........reading comprehension problem. Realized you drove car after fixing leak.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks 260e,

Yes I can rotate the crankshaft clockwise.
What does this mean?
I did tske the Bosch AGM to seller and tested to find out that although it was holding just under 12a the cranking amos were half the rating at 441/880.
Fully charged battery returned to vehicle. Still no crank but the fans did kick on when they hadnt before. Also i did get a bit more significant CLICK rather than the faint switching sound before.
Also cleaned and refit the cam magnet multiplugs located just above the problem hose.
Clues?

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Thanks 260e,

Yes I can rotate the crankshaft clockwise.
What does this mean?
I mistakenly thought you drove the car 125 miles after the leak. This was to check to see if the engine was seized.

Was cranking amp of battery checked after charging? Sounds like your starter is bad if solenoid "clicks". You can try wacking solenoid/starter.......sometimes that can get it to turn over. Definitive test would be to apply voltage to starter.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That damned starter is so difficult to get to. I dread anything having to do with it. Hoq would I safely apply voltage to the starter?
How could I test the relays?
Is it not curious that the fans kicked in after reinstalling the fully charged battery? Would thisbe power conservation by the EMS or could the switching of relays caused this?
Any last possibilities, tricks, or wives tales that can be shared before I attack the starter?

BTW, Thanks so very much for your generous time and expertise.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That damned starter is so difficult to get to. I dread anything having to do with it. Hoq would I safely apply voltage to the starter?
How could I test the relays?
Is it not curious that the fans kicked in after reinstalling the fully charged battery? Would thisbe power conservation by the EMS or could the switching of relays caused this?
Any last possibilities, tricks, or wives tales that can be shared before I attack the starter?

BTW, Thanks so very much for your generous time and expertise.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
When you tried starting the car, is the "click" sound coming from the starter solenoid?

In your first post, you stated that you cleaned the starter connection. Can you apply voltage there (I don't ever recall looking at mine)?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have, after owning about a dozen cars from Amercan muscle, classics, econo, and of course the exemplary engineering examples put forth by our Bavarian perfectionists, never experienced a failed starter without a couple clues if not a month long slow death ahead of stranding. That concept is no more.
Without any warning, not even a hesitation, not ever, the starter went out on my 2005 c230 Kompressor Sedan. Just "POOF" and it was gone.
I did learn a few things over the 2 weeks of troubleshooting so it was a win in my book. Those few things include the following:
  • disassembly of the center console
  • cleaning up indescribable substance that leaked into the console, shifter, cupholder, and related switches and multiplugs
  • camshaft position sensor
  • crankshaft position sensor
  • removal of the air filter box
  • removal of MAF sensor
  • wiring harness connections
  • steering linkage disconnection
  • starter removal/replacement
  • fuse and relay mapping and function
  • steering column lock, neutral safety switch/shift interlock, and the chain that connects them to the starter
  • alternator removal/replacement
  • and assorted body panel, trim, and detail removal procedures.
After all that, it was the starter all along.
Thank you so much to "260e crusier" for the direction and help in troubleshooting. If anyone needs assistance with any of the above, please, don't hesitate to message me.

Best to all & thanks again.:ROFLMAO:(y)

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Glad you sorted it out. (y) Really appreciate it a lot that you took the time to post an update of the fix. It will help others searching in the future with the same problem. Nothing is more frustrating for us than someone coming here for help and not giving closure to their problem.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts