Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Finished the Navigation Unit Install

The HD Radio tuner arrived tonight and I was able to finish my navigation install. The HD radio signal is noticeably better, plus I'm able to tune a few additional stations. The HD tuner is fairly large, but it did fit in the space behind the climate control. There was a lot of wire to pack into the space, but it fit with a bit of trial and error.

The generic Ipod cable I had on hand did not work with the Kenwood unit. According to the forums I've read, the Kenwood units are finicky about generic cables. I ordered the official Kenwood cable and I'm waiting for it to arrive before I can test the Ipod.

I'm going to take the car to my independent mechanic. If he doesn't find any major issues, the only items left on my "To Do" list are a headlight polish and a repair of the seat.

Attachments

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
18,686 Posts
I know you've got it all together now, but in case you need to go back behind the radio and want to make some more room, you can put things in the metal "rack" under the passenger footwell. The TCU is already in there, and the metal panel has plenty of tabs and holes for securing electronics. When I installed a Pioneer AVIC in my C240, with I put the Sirius and HD tuner there.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I polished the headlights yesterday. As you can see in the photos, the driver's side is crystal clear. The passenger side, while much improved appears to be "frosted". It may be a replacement from an older car. I've attached a photo of the car from a couple of weeks ago to show the starting condition.

I also polished the hood, trunk and roof with 3M FinesseIt. I noticed some improvement, but I think I need to take a different approach. I'm planning to buy some touch-up paint and fill in the major nicks. Then I'm going to go back with a little stronger two or three step polish and wax system. If anyone has had good results with a particular product, please let me know.

Attachments

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Closing in on the finish line

I had to add some additional work to my list. When I had the car aligned, my mechanic showed me that both of the front wheels were bent and that the driver's side front wheel had a crack in it. He was able to balance the wheels, but I thought I should consider a permanent fix. After being unsuccessful in locating replacement wheels, I had the crack in the driver's side wheel welded and the wheel straightened. It set me back $150.

When I had the wheel off, I spun the brake disk and discovered it was dragging in one spot. I suspect a warped rotor. So, I'm considering taking the rotor to have it machined. I think the O'Reilly's auto part store near me turns rotors. I'm also considering having the passenger side front wheel straightened.

Here's a picture of the car showing the "re-manufactured" front wheel. It also shows the results of my polishing and waxing efforts. It looks great unless you get close to the hood and see the chips in the paint and the load rash. I'm considering using the Dr. Colorchip system on the hood and on a few other chips I've found on various spots around the car.

I'm taking the driver's seat to an upholstery shop on my way home from work on Monday. That's the last major fix on my list - unless I make any more unpleasant discoveries.

Attachments

·
18,686 Posts
Yeah, I had to have a crack on one of the rims on my SL welded. Damned potholes!

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Damned potholes!
My mechanic's theory is that one of the previous owners ran over a curb or a parking block. That would also explain the missing splash shields under the front of the car. Due to the low ride height of the car, the splash shields would also have been torn.

·
18,686 Posts
The splash shields are very easy to rip off when parking. For some reason, many drivers believe that their wheels must be stopped against the curb or parking "logs". The low front bumper gets caught on that. When pulling in, it shears off the plastic rivets holding the liner to the bumper. When backing out, it pulls the bumper forward and the fender liner pops out below it. Then, when driving, it catches air, pushed back into the wheel,m and gets ripped off.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Almost done, but a minor setback

I installed the splash shields on Saturday. I also had the rip in the driver's seat repaired. The before and after pictures of the seat repair are posted below. The fabric in the repaired portion has a slightly less prominent grain in the fake leather and the gloss level is a little lower than in the rest of the seat. However, it is not noticeable under normal lighting conditions.

Unfortunately, the seat heater in the driver's seat has stopped working. I'm going to start a separate thread on that problem and hope that someone can help me with it.

Attachments

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
It's been a while since I've updated this thread, and I want to report that my revival is complete. I've met all my original goals for updates and repairs.

I had a few extra expenses that frankly did not surprise me.
1, I missed the fact that the splash shields were gone - $112.50
2. Two of the rims were cracked and another one was bent - $450
3. I forgot to ask if the seller had two keys before I settled on the price - $284
4. Although the Sumitomo all season tires were in OK shape, I decided to upgrade to Michelin Pilot Sport AS3's - $582

On the plus side, fixing the evaporative system leak was a relatively inexpensive $145. (The problem was the fuel filler and I found the upgraded part used on ebay. I found instructions for doing the work myself on MBWorld.)

Possible additions to my list of repairs and upgrades:
1. I'm contemplating changing the timing chain. It's not making any noise at start up, but it seems to be the Achilles heel of these cars. If I get really brave, I might do it myself.
2. I may replace the grille with an aftermarket "Star" model.
3. I may paint the bumper using rattle cans.

At this time, barring major mechanical issues, I'm pleased with the car. It rides and handles well and returns outstanding fuel economy in the type of driving I do. (I measure about 30 mpg per tank and on the highway I'm seeing 34-35 on a good day.) The 6 speed MT is engaging. It does show its age in places, but it is a good looking car
If I had to do it over again - I would.

Attachments

·
18,686 Posts
Try getting your paint from automotivetouchup.com. They sell color-matched paints in aerosol spray cans as well as aerosol clear coat. After the kid backed into an anchor wire for a power pole, I did the C240's back bumper and it turned out much better than expected.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I’ve been indulging my upgrade addiction by visiting auto recycling centers and searching the Internet. As documented in another thread, I found a decent deal on some OEM Bixenon headlights.

I also found a digital climate control or “Thermatronic” in Mercedes speak. The part number on this one is A203 830 44 85. Apparently there are several different units that look similar, but not all will work on a C230 from 2005. I found this one at a local yard. They were asking $150, but settled for $100. I think it has a “cleaner” and more up-to-date look than the analog control that came in the car. Some of the threads discussing this upgrade indicate that it works better, but I will need to use it for a while before I make that judgment.

This one does not have the rest function and since I don’t have the additional in-cabin activated charcoal plumbing in my car, the control for that system won’t function.

I’m still working on my C63 seat swap. That may take a few more weeks to pull off.

Attachments

·
18,686 Posts
You also won't actually get all those dual-zone air flow settings to work, either.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
You also won't actually get all those dual-zone air flow settings to work, either.
As always I believe you are correct. I have not tested that function, but I am not going to be disappointed if it doesn’t work as it does with the factory-installed system. According to this thread (which I read before I made the purchase): https://mbworld.org/forums/c32-amg-c55-amg-w203/238969-new-mods-2.html

A few members who have done this mod said that the fan direction control on the passenger side doesnt work, however, I found out that it DOES work under one circumstance: when you turn the AUTO function on, then you turn the direction control on the passenger side, it will control the fan direction of both driver and passenger side. However if you turn the one at driver side, it will override the passenger side one and the passenger side will not work until you press auto again.

So while the control operates, it doesn’t provide the designed functionality. After one day of experience with the upgrade I am pleased with both the looks and improved function. I never had the functions that don’t work so I will not miss them.

Thanks for your comment.

·
18,686 Posts
Yes, that's the behavior I'd expect. The standard ACC lacks the necessary duct work and servos to individually control air flow on each side. It also lacks the charcoal filter and damper, so that button (center of the right side dial) won't do anything. Otherwise, it does work and looks more sophisticated than the standard controls.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I recently completed two projects, one minor and one that was fairly involved:

1. I refinished the plastic trim on my cup holder. I know that it was originally chromed plastic. I would like to make it appear stock, but I haven't been able to find a stock replacement part and I didn't want to buy a new cup holder. I think the satin black finish looks better than the discolored white plastic that remained after the chrome peeled off during a previous owner's stewardship.

2. Installed full power Napa leather seats from a W204 C63 AMG. You can read the entire story here: https://www.benzworld.org/forums/w203-c-class/2998053-swapping-seats-2009-c63-amg.html

I would like to recover the center arm rest in leather, but that may have to wait a few months.

Attachments

·
18,686 Posts
I did something similar with the chrome trim on the cupholder on my CLK. i just painted it matte black to match the rest of the plastic housing. It looked fine - just liek yours does.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
I have to remind myself that the car will be 15-years old in September. Perfection is not a reasonable goal. However, striving for perfection usually yields good results.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts
About this Discussion
40 Replies
2 Participants
KevinH2000
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing