Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new 2005 C230. From the moment I drove it out of the dealership lot, I noticed it pulled to the right. I have driven it for about 1000 miles now and tried a range of roads. The more crowned the road, the harder it pulls to the right. However, even on what appears to be virtually flat highway or road, it still pulls right. I took it back in and had them verify the alignment, tire pressure, etc. The dealer told me that the stock cars from the factory are not set up to compensate for road crown, and thus, they typically will pull to the right. They installed under warranty a camber bolt kit to slightly adjust the camber to compensate for road crown. It's a little better, but it still drifts to the right. It seems to me this is tricky since different roads will pull it harder...so there is no optimal point. They also said that the low profile tires have an aggressive tread and that this amplifies the situation. My question is: why does this really happen on the C230? I owned an E320 and it went straight, even on a road with crown. We have a Honda SUV. It goes straight even on a road with crown. What am I missing here? Why would this car pull to the right. As an aside, they loaned me another C230 (brand new) while mine was in the shop. That one too pulled to the right. Is there something in the suspension of the C230 that's designed to hug the road and follow the slope??? It's annoying yet I have a feeling they may never really be able to fix it and I may just have to live with it and get used to it. Anyone else have this experience or understand why this is happening?

·
Registered
ML320
41 Posts
Hey Glowitz

I recently purchased a 2005 C230 Sedan about 1000 miles and it also pulls to the right. I brought it to the dealership and they fix the alignment and when I drove it on the freeway it was still doing the same thing. I brought it back again to see what they can do and hopefully they are able to fix that problem. I will be getting it back today and post back if they were able to fix it. My friend has recently just bought one and when I drove it it had the same problem. I have an ML and I never had this problem.

·
Registered
My Benz: 04 S430
1,219 Posts
This sounds strange to me.
My car ( 04'c230ss) never pulled at all. Otherwise I would have left it at the dealer. If a car is pulling this is wearing on your tires. I don't believe that with today's technology one should accept that a 30K+ vehicle cannot steer straight. This sounds like a serious issue I wouldn't let this one sleep. You'll never fully realize the driving and handling perfomance value this car offers if it pulls. That would drive me nutz!!!

·
Registered
ML320
41 Posts
I totally agree with you that is why the car has been with the dealer for three days now. When they did the alignment they said it was fixed. I brought it back the second time and they tried driving it and it was going straight. What I told them is to go on the freeway and see what happens. Hopefully it was fix.

·
Registered
C230 SS '04.5
60 Posts
i use to have the same problem, but the dealer fixed it. they did a tire rotation i think. also make sure the air pressure is even

·
Registered
233 Posts
If you drove another one and it does it too, I'd have to say that maybe what you are feeling is not a problem.
My E55 sometimes feels like its pulling and going all over but its just a characteristic of having factory fat meats.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll be curious to know if they fixed your pulling problem. Yes, mine still pulls to the right. It's especially noticeable on the highway due to the speed...and you start drifting quickly over to the right if you let the wheel go free for a few moments. Find out if they installed the camber bolt kit on yours or what else they did? The flatter the road the better, but the tendency is still towards the right. Yeah, it is really annoying to have to always keep the pressure on the steering wheel counter-clockwise.

·
Registered
24 Posts
i had the same problem when i pulled off the driveway the moment i purchased it. i brought it back the next day and had the camber bolt kit and that made a big difference, but the car still drifts right. i brought it back in again but the service guy only tells me it drove straight when they tested it. suppose to be bringing it back in and test it with them because i drive on the interstate and it drifts right and changes lanes within 7 seconds

·
Registered
C230K Sport Sedan
5,368 Posts
I can tell you it's not normal as my 2002 and 2004 C230's drive straight and true and if they pull to right due to road crowning it's not a significant pull and I can let go of my steering wheel at highway speeds for a while before it drifts slightly to the right.

Other things besides alignment can cause this. Try jacking up each front tire and spining it, it should spin freely, at least be equal friction left and right and make no unusual noises like a bad bearing or friction from a sticking brake caliper. While it's jacked up, grab the top and bottom of tire and shake it back and forth to see if something is loose like a ball joint. Also rotate the tires left to right, a defective tire can cause it to pull. Lastly, check tire pressure to make sure it's even on left and right sides.

The problem with dealer mechanics is they don't want to put the time to troubleshoot a problem as MB won't pay them for a repair they don't do. For example, say your check engine light came on to replace the O2 sensor, 10 seconds of diagnostics, 10 minutes to replace the sensor and they get paid by MB to do it. If they spend an hour trying to figure out what's wrong with your car and find out it's just tire pressure they get nothing and wasted an hour.

·
Registered
2006 C280
196 Posts
I've mentioned this multiple times before, but it's been awhile...

Get the tech to adjust the CASTER...if necessary, a little more caster on the side that is pulling, even if it means that the two sides are a bit different or even slightly out of spec.

Caster is the angle of the strut as viewed from the side - more causes the car to resist changes in direction, less makes it easier.

Our '02 C240 came with a pull to the left that was annoying, and resisted conventional fixes until the lead tech in the shop got the bright idea to fiddle with the caster settings. Voila, problem fixed.

As a side note, I'll mention that this is one of the reasons I avoid cars like the SS MBs - directional tires and staggered tire sizes make it extremely difficult to deal with these kinds of problems, and as noted above, dealer techs tend to lose patience and not pursue the problems to the end unless pushed...or offered a fresh clue. Try this on for size...

·
Registered
2005 w203, 2013 Town & Country
2,180 Posts
Just to document -

mine does pull to the right...mentioned it to dealer - said "crown of the road" I disagreed politely -

now its spring, I think its time for a call

thanks all
Jake

·
Registered
04 C230 Kompressor
335 Posts
My 2004 did the same thing & I took it back & they did an alignment on it, under warranty.

·
Registered
05 C230k ss benzo
29 Posts
hey guys I have the same problem. I noticed it since I bought the car back in January. I have close to 3k now and I feel it does it even more. This is defintely unacceptable and I set up an appointment because we all have lifetime free alignment on our vehicles especially if they are brand new.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just bot a new c230K sedan that pulls slightly to the right all the time. Tire store suggested swapping front tire sides. This guy, an experienced tire dealer and racer, said that the Continentals sometimes come manufactured less than true. Combined with the thick center sections that follow every groove the pavement, can add up to a situation that mimicks out of alignment.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
2005 C230 SS
19 Posts
After I read this post and check my ride, it was also pulling to the right. then I went on the Freeway and stepped it up, it pulled left.
Is all in the mind playas!!!

·
Registered
37 Posts
I really haven't noticed my car pulling to the right or left. Has anyone gave thought to grabbing brakes? Or has anyone had there braking linings compared from one side to the other?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have 26 miles on my car that I just picked yesterday. I was out driving today and noticed this!!! I am headed to the dealer monday to go apenuts! j.k I just want a reasonable explanation before I write to MB USA and Cc some Gov Agency...

·
Registered
2005 w203, 2013 Town & Country
2,180 Posts
at 7k miles car is at dealer right now trying to address this issue as car is still pulling / drifting to the right....not always, not always on the same road at the same spot day to day (such as the work commute)...odd

cheers
Jake

1 - 20 of 37 Posts