Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

I just picked up a 2005 C230 with 46K miles on it and a few months left on the warranty. I notice that when slowing down to make a turn into a parking lot or driveway that the car downshifts rather hard into what feels like first. This is happening with the tranny in C mode.

Is this typical of a C230 tranny or do I need to have it looked at before the warranty is up?

Thanks

·
Registered
2005 C230 K
179 Posts
Mine does that as well but not a sudden jerk or anything. It's a noticable downshift though. If I recall the manual does mention the vehicle will downshift all the way to 1st even in C mode once it hits a certain RPM.

·
Registered
2002 ML320
1,951 Posts
Reset the transmission:

get in and close the door
turn the key to II (ON) all lights on dash on (do NOT start the car)
press and hold the gas pedal all the way down for 15 seconds
while still holding the gas pedal... turn the key off but leave it in the ignition and release pedal.
sit for at least 2 minutes and don't touch anything or open the door or you will have to start over.
after at least 2 minutes... start the car and drive for a bit as you normally would.

This resets the communication between the throttle body and the transmission... it should fix the issue... if not, you are about to 50k miles which is when the transmission needs to be serviced... meaning fluid and filter replaced... runs about 250.00 avg.

Reactions: 2011 Nissan Maxima

·
Registered
2002 ML320
1,951 Posts
Because they are computers... and sometimes, they just need a reset... trust me... you'll feel a difference... and it does no harm at all... in fact my dealer told me to keep doing the once I week I do it.

The transmission learns your driving pattern and is constantly adjusting to how you are driving at any particular time... so thinks are bound to get screwed up in the communications.

And yes, hard shift into 1st when stopping is a problem. It should be smooth and really shouldn't be felt.

And definitely have your transmissions serviced every 50k miles... you will thank yourself in the long run... these transmissions are $5-6k to replace.

·
Registered
2017 GLC 300 4Matic fully loaded... but for the heated steering wheel. Stupid previous owner! 😠
1,147 Posts
In comfort/winter mode, the transmission will never shift into first unless you force it to by pulling the shift lever to the left. Even at a dead stop, if you pull and hold the shifter to the left, it will only downshift to second. You will also notice that, at a dead stop and the transmission in park, if you switch between summer/sport and winter/comfort, you will feel a light clunk as a solenoid locks and unlocks the transmission from going into first.

·
Registered
2002 ML320
1,951 Posts
You should NOT be switching from C->W or S->W or back with the car in drive... it specifically says this in the manual... come to a complete stop and either put the car in N or P and then switch it... wait 5 seconds and put back in D.

·
Registered
2011 Mercedes E350 4matic Wagon
1,023 Posts
Does that work on 02 C320?

Reset the transmission:

while still holding the gas pedal... turn the key off but leave it in the ignition and release pedal.
sit for at least 2 minutes and don't touch anything or open the door or you will have to start over.
after at least 2 minutes... start the car and drive for a bit as you normally would.

This resets the communication between the throttle body and the transmission... it should fix the issue... if not, you are about to 50k miles which is when the transmission needs to be serviced... meaning fluid and filter replaced... runs about 250.00 avg.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thats weird, a 2000 C230 doesnt need transmission service. The fluid is sealed and now with 103k, still no problems.

Now the 2005 model has to be serviced? Sounds like just a profit center to me. Oh well. Never did like sealed transmissions anyway.

·
Registered
2000 Designo SLK-05 C230WK-05 E320CDi-2010 GLK 350
714 Posts
Most auto gearboxes use clutches to change gears and during the first 20k miles as they break-in they put a lot of used clutch material into the tranny fluid. This changes the viscosity of the fluid and since the internal filter doesn't catch all of it it will in time cause harder shifting and to some degree, additional wear. Remember the "lifetime lube" rule is the lifetime of the unit ends when it fails, not at some official published number. The most critical change is the first one. Never miss the first fluid and filter change in the tranny.
Another point to ponder is that the 05 5 speed auto in the C230 shared one additional feature with the AMG models that no other non AMG USA models had: The transmission on the 1.8 SC engines allowed the torque converter to lock up in ALL forward gears. This would at times make the shifting a little more rough, but is one of the reasons the 05 auto had the performance and MPG advantage over the 7 speed auto equipped 06 models with the 2.5 V6.

·
Registered
1999 ML320 / 2005 C230 / 2004 E320 4matic wagon
92 Posts
Did the reset on my '05 this weekend, and it is shifting a lot smoother. I must be driving like a maniac lately, if the machine thinks I liked the way it was shifting....maybe time to mellow a bit.

·
Registered
2000 Mercedes C230 Kompressor, 2004 C320 4Matic
95 Posts
What Mobil Synthetic fluid for the 722.6? Trans??

Thats weird, a 2000 C230 doesnt need transmission service. The fluid is sealed and now with 103k, still no problems.

Now the 2005 model has to be serviced? Sounds like just a profit center to me. Oh well. Never did like sealed transmissions anyway.
Oh my.... Service that transmission! The only thing sealed is the dirt inside the transmission. I am going to service my 2004 c320 soon, I just bought it.

What fluid you guys use in the 722.6? Also, what Mobil oil for engine? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2 Posts
All,

I just picked up a 2005 C230 with 46K miles on it and a few months left on the warranty. I notice that when slowing down to make a turn into a parking lot or driveway that the car downshifts rather hard into what feels like first. This is happening with the tranny in C mode.

Is this typical of a C230 tranny or do I need to have it looked at before the warranty is up?

Thanks
Hello, I have a Mercedes E 212 and is it really good for the gearbox? I wonder very much.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Reset the transmission:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Reset the transmission:

Reset the transmission:

I know this is a really late post, but I've seen you on alot of other posts and you seen to be the only person that really know what they are talking about. Lol.
So my question is, or problem rather, 🤔
So everything works fine , except first gear going into drive. It's like I put it into drive and the rpms barely want to go over 1000 and barely make the car go, the engine doesn't rev (unless switching into neutral or another gear then it revs just fine) but in the drive position it's barely at 1000rpm then slowly it goes up to 1500 and the car goes a lil faster maybe 10 mph then eventually, pedal to the metal it might , sometimes after revenge in neutral a minute, I can trick it and hold it at 2000rpm and throw it into drive and sometimes it will catch and go ahead and let me pick up speed. As long as I'm on the highway and maintain my speed I'm all good. But if it's in the city and I am having to stop. I'm having to start the process all over again. Going 5-10 mph through the red lights until I can get that idle to get up over 2000rpm again. I just replaced the whole transmission 2 years ago but everyone says it's the transmission. Is there a quick way to reset this? Lol. And it's an automatic start push button. No keys? Ugggh.

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550 FORMER: C300, ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
22,918 Posts
Welcome to the forum @2011 Nissan Maxima - please take a moment to read the information on the link below. It explains how to update your user profile so that your car's details and your location appear on each post below your avatar. This is good information for others to know when trying to help. It also has good information about how the forums are organized and how to use the search feature:

Find your Forum Section, Navigate & Search

What car do you have? Is is a Maxima as you user name suggests? If so, you probably want to find a forum specific to your car, such as on nissanclub.com

1 - 17 of 17 Posts