Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I recently bought a 2004 A 160 (petrol/ manual) with 94 k from a friend. The car is in excellent shape...

Problem

The car sputters continuously upon hard acceleration from a dead stop then smooths out (pretty much)above 3500 - 4000 rpm.

The car has very little power going up incline from a dead stop and sputters or dies and the only way to get it going is to feather the clutch while mashing the accelerator, although the car consistently feels like its only running on two cylinders during the low rpms.

The car also is randomly smooth at idle, but occasionally drops into a miss for a few seconds and then goes back to smooth.

The service light indicates no service for 23k...but im trying to sort this out on my own, rather than being forced into a complete service at my local MB...even the thought of that gives my bank account chills...

Any help or comments would be appreciated, thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bit of an update.

Last night it rained quite a bit and all the roads were quite slick.
With the tires able to spin when I applied the accelerator, it solved 75% of the cars
stuttering probem. The engine came to life, was free revving and pretty impressive.
Today, its not raining, the cars is back to acting like a two cylinder tractor and sound reminescent of an old locomotive steam engine...any ideas?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts