Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
2004 ML270
Discussion Starter #1
RHD 2004 ML270 with 270k kms on it. Had a rebuilt rack installed about 4 years/50000k ago.

Noisy pump this morning so check the fluid, nearly empty. Check underneath and can see some drips so remove the centre belly pan. Can see fluid all over the right side front suspension arms and driveshaft out to the wheel hub.

Run the motor and can see weeping around the end of the rack near where the two hoses bolt on. Clean this up with brakeclean and run the motor again and can see it weeping in the middle of the housing.

Clean it up with a wire wheel and some 200grit and can see a crack in the boss that the line bolts too.

Did some searching and can't see anyone else having had this happen before. Have jbwelded it for now whilst I work out my options. Local engineer says he could tig it but I would have to strip the rack to protect all the seals. Could go second hand rack but this has been rebuilt and is tight. A rebuilt unit is a bit more than I want to spend.

Anyone seen this or have any suggestions?

Attachments

W163 and General Mercedes Host
First one that I've seen. Typically, boot issues or bad internal seals requiring a rebuild /replacement.
I presume you are referring to this area?
Screen Shot 2020-06-27 at 9.02.38 AM.png

Premium Member
02 ML320 06 ML500
This is not an easy task. If you consider the Tig repair and it does not seal the crack, you will have to do the R&I twice.

Attachments

Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
I would buy a rebuilt one

or

if extremly handy and up for a task rebuild a second hand unit from a yard using the parts from the cracked unit.

BUT the crack may of caused some shavings to get loose and they are floating around the system, sratching seals cogging the valving, etc.

So given the above I would install a rebuilt unit, replace the resevoir, flush the system well.

Registered
2004 ML270
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the replies, food for thought.

Attached is an updated pic showing where the crack is. There is only one very small leak, a pinhole size.

Attachments

Registered
Dallas, Texas
Thanks for all the replies, food for thought.

Attached is an updated pic showing where the crack is. There is only one very small leak, a pinhole size.
Picture does not have enough resolution to see a crack.:confused:

Registered
2004 ML270
Discussion Starter #7
Weird, I can see it clearly, unless that line that's visible right through the circled section isn't a crack?

That line wasn't visible until I cleaned up the rack with a wire wheel and some sand paper.

The torx bolt is very tight, looking at a parts pic that circled piece looks like it's part of the rack housing and doesn't come off at all.

Registered
Dallas, Texas
Weird, I can see it clearly, unless that line that's visible right through the circled section isn't a crack?

That line wasn't visible until I cleaned up the rack with a wire wheel and some sand paper.

The torx bolt is very tight, looking at a parts pic that circled piece looks like it's part of the rack housing and doesn't come off at all.
I am using 4k monitor to browse this forum. I cannot see the crack in your picture. Arrow it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts