Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
2000 ML430, 2008 GL550, 2008 Ford F250 Superduty
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys...

i finally got around to finishing the 2004 ML bumper update. i actually had the rears done last week but the fronts took a little more work. how much work? just relocating the mounting points. im waiting to get the final trim pieces for the front (grill, covers and chin spoilers) they come thursday. then it's off to the detail shop!

if anyone's interested in doing this, pm me and i can tell you what you're gonna need. also, i never got around to putting my old bumpers on ebay so they're still available.

thanks alex (stolenheartt) for helping me out with the update and helping me with the part #'s.

·
'00 ML320 Elegance
8,965 Posts
Nice job Alex, literally looks like a whole new vehicle. You should definitely consider the grill with the chrome accent strips. That will really set the front end off nicely.

Why don't you post the instructions and part #s in a publication so that everyone can enjoy them as well! [:)]

·
Registered
ml320, 300ce, bmw325
34 Posts
Troy...ML looks awesome. Excellent job on the update. The bumper update gave your truck that mean look, really compliment your wide wheels. Can't wait to finish mine. Dude, you just started something here. I'll bet that lots of benzworld members will be updating their ML.

·
Registered
Ml 500SE
269 Posts
Awesome job man. Now if you can come up with the AMG chrome grill and power dome hood, because I think that will be the classic W163 M Class look for years to come! I know I love mine! [8D]

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the compliments guys. i thought about the AMG grill but i kinda like the all black look. the bumpers do make the ML look a little beefier but i think the older style rear bumper is actually a little more bulkier. at least it looked like it when i compared it side by side.

i told myself i would stop the mods after i get the new system in but now im thinking of blacking out the wheel centers and polishing the lips.[;)] we'll see...

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Hey Alex,
That looks mean. You did a fantastic job there. It's my next project as well. In my basement rests a 2003 front bumper cover, foglights, 2002 door mirrors (minus glass), and the tailgate filler panel. Only thing outstanding is a rear bumper cover, and no doubt some additional odds and ends, and my baby is off to a bodyshop. I sent you a PM about what it took to get this done...

·
Registered
02ML320 & 06RClass (sold)
1,632 Posts
BlackHawk - 3/28/2005 12:01 AM

looks awesome maybe the ML55 chrome inserts and updated taillights, no one will be able to tell its an 00!
change also both side mirror to make it really look 02

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i think my next mod will be a new set of tail pipes. i wanna go with a set of dual outlets for sure but im not sure if i should go with dual singles or quads.

what do you guys think? i really like "B" those are a set of S55 tailpipes.

·
Registered
1999 ML 430
586 Posts
I'd say F just because I like the somewhat stock look of the ML, for some reason seeing 4 tailpipes on a ML just screams aftermarket, but 2 looks normal, to bad you didnt get the ML55 bumper, because I love the ML55 tailpipes, but none the less I like mine, not to big not to small and chrome, theres a little chrome all the way around my car except for the back, that was changed with the tailpipe

I guess my father does too, he put some almost identical (1/4 smaller) tips on his delorean

Attachments

·
Registered
99ML320 (retired) C230 530xi 911-C4
2,229 Posts
I would say none.
Without the bumper cut outs, dual tailpipes look too after-market.

If you are really handy working with the plastic bumper, you can try carving / sanding out a semi circle on the bumper that lines up with the tailpipes to get it to look like tailpipes belong there...

But if you don't have the ML55 rear bumper or make the bumper cut outs yourself, I would keep the rear looking nice and clean and keep it tailpipe free.

·
Registered
Mercedes "M32"
961 Posts
It looks great man !! Very nice job ... I would love to do the same, but then I cant use my brushguard and those foglights wouldnt fare to well underwater. LOL

But WOW, your truck really looks much better now. I agree abou keeping the black grill in the front. I myself dont like too much happening in front.

As for the tailpipes, I would do B or no tailpipes.

On a side note, are those brakes aftermarket ???

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
the replacement cost was roughly around $2500. kinda pricey but was less than the ML55/Sport update. this includes the foglamps (which btw, cost rougly $500 just for the lights and mounting hardware!) if you find some reconditioned bumpers, you can get away with it costing a little less.

as far as the pipes go, i agree that the cut outs make it look a little more finished. i did think about trimming out a small portion of the bumper but with the spare tire in the way (behind the bumper) the pipes have to be routed along side it. which means those "hump" details on the 2002+ rear bumpers will be trimmed and i dont think it'll look that great. ive seen the quad supersprint exhaust and i dont think it looks that bad. definately more aftermarket tho.

the brakes are stock with the OEM rotors cross drilled. if you're interested in some, they're brembo cross drilled from brakeworld in FL. oh and btw, i read on wolfgangs site that the ML bumper/covers were made to be taken on and off for more clearance when offroading. if you ever decide you need more clearance, pull them off and you'll see it makes a huge diff.

oh vik, thats a good question... im not sure if all the 2002+ flares come with a rear bumper extension but i have seen it. dont know if it needs it but i'd say it may work.

·
Registered
CLK500 - ML320
831 Posts
tsanjose...

You think theres anyway you could find out... I have 02+ model, however do you have the extender piece installed? Do you need it? It looks like you don't have it, however you do have the same bumpers I do, but fender flares for a 98-01 model... I need your help!!

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i have the pre-02 flares on the 02+ model bumpers and they line up perfectly. i have seen some flare kits for the 02+ that include this bumper extension that mounts on the rear bumpers kinda where it meets with the rear flare. i thought performance products had them but i dont see them anymore on the site.

if you find some, let me know cause i want to see if this piece makes a diff.

anyone else know what im talking about?

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
The flares are the same for pre '02 vs post '02. Only difference is post 02 comes with the 2 smallish, additional rear bumper pieces (6 pieces total). It may be possible to buy the bumper extensions only from a dealer.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts