Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2004 S430 4Matic & 2001 SLK320
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, a few weeks back I posted a problem I had where my blower would just not work sometimes when you started the car. After some homework I came to the conclusion it was the blower regulator, or possibly the blower (Although I doubted it was the blower as when it worked, it worked beautifully).

I took it to a MB mechanic that was well known and generally cheaper than the dealership (Imagine that???). He said that it was the regulator, but in order to replace the regulator the blower had to be swapped as well, as there was "an upgrade notice" from MB on this and it needed both. The final price was $1400.00 which I just could not believe. So, I decided to teach myself how to fix it.

OK, just in case anyone else has this issue. You can buy a new OEM regulator from autohausaz.com for about $120.00 Remember the mechanic had told me that the replacement regulator was different from the existing blower and the two would would need replaced teogether. This turns out to be blatantly incorrect. A replacement OEM regulator works just fine with the existing blower.

Getting to the regulator is a bit difficult. It is located in the passenger front footwell below the glove box. You first need to remove the upper molding from below the glove box, then the lower molding. There are two 8MM bolts and one Phillips screw holding this in place. Once this is removed, it takes some acrobatics to see up under there. I found pushing the seat all the way back, and reclining the seat all of the way down allowed me to lie on my back and look directly up at where I needed to be.

Once looking up, forget about the two rectangular boxes on the 1/2 nearest the transmission you do not need to touch these, although they look tantalizingly like you should. Focus on other half nearest the outside of the car. Although it does not look like it, that is a lid held in place by five torx screws. Remove the five torx screws, and pop the little lid down. Once you have done this, you are looking directly up at both the regulator and the blower.

I only replaced the regulator, but it is a piece of cake to get out. Once again, a torx screw driver is needed. A short one will be needed on the screw nearest the firewall as the slope of the footwell prevents a long torx screw driver to work. Thus, I had to buy a shorty at the hardware store. Once it is out, you can easily remove the two plugs, I assume you could remove the plugs first if you wanted to, but I did not want this thing to hit me in the face so I used the wires to prevent it from dropping.

To put it back in, reverse the procedure. Took me about four hours, but in reality an hour and half were wasted going back and forth to a hardware store for the torx, and a good 45 minutes was wasted just figuring out where things were. I am confident I could do it know in less than hour.

Remember the mechanic, quoted me $1400.00 in total. the breakdown of that was he wanted something in the neighborhood of $350 for the regulator which I got an EOM online for 1/3 of that, $800 for the blower which I did not need and labor was the remainder. So, just as a word of caution if you have this problem. You may not need the blower, and the labor should only really be an hour or less. So all up I was out about $135 dollars max for the part and a torx screw driver, or essentially one tenth of what I was quoted and it works like a charm. I am a novice, so if I can do it, you can do it. Other than perhaps teaching the neighborhood kids a few new, choice words it was not a hard task for a newbie.

So if this helps anyone, there you are. Now I have to work on the other car, the SLK320...this one is going to be more difficult I am afraid.:eek:

·
Registered
S500 | 220.175 | 113.960
363 Posts
Thank you for this info man, I am sure this info will save a lot of people much headache.
My regulator is failing as well, it does not start the blower if I leave the AC on while shutting off and restarting the engine. Sometimes if stalls the blower motor when I am making a turn over bumps on the road.

The only way I was able to extend the life of it is by always turning off the climate control and blower motor before engine shut down. When I am back on the road, I just turn the AC on after the engine is started. For some reason, that way it still works, even though it has began failing over a year and a half ago!!

·
Registered
2004 S430 4Matic & 2001 SLK320
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow lyoooha, mine was never that bad. But since we live in Oklahoma and the heat was 110 for several days in a row I just bit the bullet and did it. Oddly all this past week it worked fine...thank goodness. But now that it is fixed it should be all good for the rest of the summer.

Seriously, buy a new regulator at autohausaz.com and get a short torx screwdriver and you can have it done in an hour and not need to deal with it cutting out any more. I am so happy I did it and saved 90% over the shop.

I replaced the hood strut on my other benz, an SLK320 that the dealer wanted almost $200 for, and I got it from autohausaz for $64. Now I have to chase down a problem on it that I am having that is either the pedal sensor or the mass airflow sensor. All I can say is I am so happy there is a forum like this where I can trouble shoot with someone else who has been there previously. This forum is going to start saving me a ton of money!

·
Registered
S500 | 220.175 | 113.960
363 Posts
There are no words that would express my appreciation for the help I have received in repairing my s class over the past years. I can honestly say this online community has been a true blessing.
People here are so kind, so helpful and are always eager to assist promptly.
I too, saved thousands by diagnosing and repairing the car myself with the help of combined effort of benzworld folks. It would have been a nightmare to have mechanics or dealers do all the work I did myself. It would have been a nightmare trying to figure it all out without the tremendous assistance I received from all you guys!

I have learned so much over these years, and all due to the extremely kind help of you gentlemen. I bow down for you guys, you are the best in the world!!!!

And I am so happy when I can help or assist others and always eager to do so.
Automotive forum community is the best invention since the automobile.
This forum is brilliant!

I love you guys, thank you all so so much!!!

Best Regards,

alex

1 - 4 of 4 Posts