Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi there folks.
New to the site.
Today i had an incident, driving along making a slight right turn and all of the sudden the front passenger side just flattens. sounded like a tire blew, but it wasnt.
tires were fine i got out and checked everything, it all seemed perfectly fine, except the front right side was now just LOW as can be.
tire was tucked into the fender and was rubbing along the liner on right turns.

the car in question is a 2004 E320. its not a 4matic, and its not a CDI.

I asked a friend, and he refered me to this site, with a very useful link to one of your threads, and i got a lot out of it but was still a lil confused.

the link in question was this
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w211-e-class/1385457-suspension-problem-2003-e320-sport.html

they had the same issue, but it was on a 2003 E320, and they speak of an airmatic system that is in their cars.

now my car in question itself does have the C/S button for comfort/sport modes.
But in the thread above, they speak of the car being able to be raised and lowered on the air system, this car is not like that, it does not rise or lower at all when the button is pressed, and ive never seen it do that.
so i was thinking maybe something else was the issue and hoped you guys might know a thing or 2 and give me some advice.

if you guys have any questions to help somewhat troubleshoot, ask away ill try.

thus far, there has been no leaks on the driveway, but will check in the morning (its 930PM here now)
and i will check back.

im sorry for the first post to be this, but im not sure how your site works and really need the help ASAP or i would have taken a week or so to read around.

thank you in advance.
:bowdown:

·
Registered
2005 SL500, 2011 GL350
427 Posts
It's not clear what happened to your car but it sounds like some kind of catostrophic failure in the right front suspension. Only an inspection will tell.

Regarding the C/S button: this is for transmission settings only and controls whether the car starts in 1st or 2nd gear and how many RPMs for upshifts. So, of course, pushing the button has no effect on the height of the car.

If your car had Airmatic DC air suspension you would see two more button controls on the shift lever surround: one to raise the car to negotiate rough ground or steep driveways and one set the adjustable shocks to one of three setting from Comfort to Sport 1 to Sport 2. If you don't have these buttons, you don't have air suspension.

Good luck in getting your car diagnosed and fixed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your response.
i was wondering about this airmatic business.
Since there is no more controls aside from the C/S button by the shifter, it is now clear that there is no airmatic system. that slightly eases my mind so i do apreciate that.
i will be having the car inspected within a few days, to see what actually happened.
i am assuming some form of strut failure has occured, what exactly im not sure as of yet. but we'll see.

Thank you again. Any more info or advice from anyone around would be much apreciated.
:)

If your car had Airmatic DC air suspension you would see two more button controls on the shift lever surround: one to raise the car to negotiate rough ground or steep driveways and one set the adjustable shocks to one of three setting from Comfort to Sport 1 to Sport 2. If you don't have these buttons, you don't have air suspension.

Good luck in getting your car diagnosed and fixed.

·
Registered
2003 E320 - wife's car now; 07 Porsche Boxster S - my car!!
637 Posts
Thank you for your response.
i was wondering about this airmatic business.
Since there is no more controls aside from the C/S button by the shifter, it is now clear that there is no airmatic system. that slightly eases my mind so i do apreciate that.
i will be having the car inspected within a few days, to see what actually happened.
i am assuming some form of strut failure has occured, what exactly im not sure as of yet. but we'll see.

Thank you again. Any more info or advice from anyone around would be much apreciated.
:)
You could have a bad lower ball joint as these were problematic on the 03-04 E's. Why don't you jack up the car in that corner and look for anything that appears "disconnected".

Regards,
paul...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi there folks.
New to the site.
Today i had an incident, driving along making a slight right turn and all of the sudden the front passenger side just flattens. sounded like a tire blew, but it wasnt.
tires were fine i got out and checked everything, it all seemed perfectly fine, except the front right side was now just LOW as can be.
tire was tucked into the fender and was rubbing along the liner on right turns.

the car in question is a 2004 E320. its not a 4matic, and its not a CDI.

I asked a friend, and he refered me to this site, with a very useful link to one of your threads, and i got a lot out of it but was still a lil confused.

the link in question was this
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w211-e-class/1385457-suspension-problem-2003-e320-sport.html

they had the same issue, but it was on a 2003 E320, and they speak of an airmatic system that is in their cars.

now my car in question itself does have the C/S button for comfort/sport modes.
But in the thread above, they speak of the car being able to be raised and lowered on the air system, this car is not like that, it does not rise or lower at all when the button is pressed, and ive never seen it do that.
so i was thinking maybe something else was the issue and hoped you guys might know a thing or 2 and give me some advice.

if you guys have any questions to help somewhat troubleshoot, ask away ill try.

thus far, there has been no leaks on the driveway, but will check in the morning (its 930PM here now)
and i will check back.

im sorry for the first post to be this, but im not sure how your site works and really need the help ASAP or i would have taken a week or so to read around.

thank you in advance.
:bowdown:
I had the problem with my e320 sport. It has the airmatic suspension system that allows you to adjust the ride to either soft or firm. There are two buttons on the console. One is for raising or lowering the car and the other is for the ride adjustment. Basically it is an air shock system with the air bags built into the struts. That is why they are so expensive approx. $1,200.00 each. Check your owners manual and it should tell you what system you have. As I explained in the thread you referenced I replaced the air strut and the air compressor and the problem was solved. I have since learned that many MB owners have had this problem. If you do not have the airmatic system then maybe you broke a regular strut sping or a ball joint. I just replaced my lower ball joints and it is very difficult to do without the proper tools i.e. ball joint press. I received a quote from a local garage and their price was $575 to replace - with parts. I found tha ball joints on the internet for $48 each. Hope this helps.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts