Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the proper procedure for removing the soft top rear window? The canvas has begun to pull out from under the seal, and I can not seem to find a way to tuck it back under. Any help would be appreciated!

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550 FORMER: C300, ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
19,619 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Many thanks!

Thanks rudeney! I agree, it doesn't look too difficult, now that I can see how it should go. I will change it out in the next couple of weeks. You are the man! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2008 CLK550 Cab
402 Posts
I don't think you need to remove the window. If I understand what you describe (post some pics?), there are woven steel cables that run inside the cloth (like a bicycle brake or gear cable) around the rear window. They stretch. You just need to tighten them to take up the slack. Perhaps Rodney can post that procedure. I had it done under warrany do so don't know exactly how it was done. But removing the window will not help.

·
Registered
2008 CLK550 Cab
402 Posts
Don't know about a W208. On a W209, the hard rubber seal thing around the rear window overlaps the canvas top but does not actually connect to it. When the top is up, it is held taught under the seal by steel cables that run inside the canvas. They are pretty thin cables - thinnner than those in the pics you linked. They are right on the inside edge of the canvas under the seal around the window opening. Once you release the rear of the top at the first step of lowering it, the cables go slack and you can easily feel them. One of mine was slack even with the top fully up, so the canvas on that side would not go tight and tuck under the seal. I never traced the cables to see where they went, or if the adjustment is at the back under the top or elsewhere. I suspect it's at the back. The dealer did it so I'm not sure how it was done, but I think it's pretty simple.

EDIT: and just to be clear, I am only talking about the main canvas outer top layer - the other inner layers do connect in some way to the window, so I'm guessing at the OP's problem.

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550 FORMER: C300, ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
19,619 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts