Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
'07 S600, '00 E320 Wagon, other
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello experts, on my 2004 CLK 125k miles top stopped latching to the windshield. Started intermittent but now it stays that way. It seems the preconditions are met:
  • the top is reaching the windshield to the CATCH position and the switch S84/18 on the right top side is activated
  • the bow is fully opened and the switch S84/15 is activated to indicate it
Now the cylinder 2 in the front of the top should latch to the windshield but it does not.

Next I "helped" the cylinder by closing it with a wrench and it closed ok and completed the cycle correctly. So I'm 100% sure it's hydraulics.

But now - can the cylinder fail in a way that it does not leak, is too weak to close, but opens correctly? Or is it the weak pump? Or some pinched hose? Or? Thanks!

·
Registered
2006 CLK 350 Convertible
624 Posts
Since all the hydraulics are extended at that point of closure I would check to see if you are low on fluid.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, the fluid is fine and close to the top level, I'm thinking it's most likely the pump but would be interested in affirmation if someone has had the same symptoms, thanks.

·
Registered
2006 CLK 350 Convertible
624 Posts
If the fluid is up, then most likely there are no leaks. Does sound like a pump issue. Has the top slowed at going up and down?

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2011 C300 FORMER: ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
19,262 Posts
The cylinders can leak internally, such that they won;t work, but there will not be any fluid spilled.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys.

Finally it's done - the top works perfectly after the pump has been rebuilt by Top Hydraulics. Klaus has been very responsive and helpful with deciding on piston-vs-pump and Top Hydraulics has rebuilt it very quickly.
To me it seems pointless to replace a pump with a used one (like the mechanics did for the previous owner) - not only the replacement pump can fail shortly after the replacement as seen here, but one is also risking getting a pump which may be contaminated with incorrect fluid. Rebuilding carries similar or slightly higher price tag (actually $400 cheaper in this case than $1000 which the "reputable" shop charged for the failed used one), and gives a peace of mind.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts