Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2003 E32 W211
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
I just changed front bearings and seal on my car. The seal is aftermarket and a little different than the one extracted. The new bearings function perfectly but the dash is now lit up with ABS and other sensor warnings. I am not a mechanic and 1st time doing this task so my question is, does the seal have a sensor band or anything that would cause the malfunction? The seal is not original MB (I am in Venezuela and it was impossible to find here). What could have caused the sensor warnings to activate? Even brake failure lights came on and both the discs and the pads are brand new original MB.
Thanks in advance for any help!
*I am a major with the US Air Force assigned to our embassy in Venezuela and my mechanical ability is limited...

·
Registered
'04 SL500; '05 E500; 05 E320 Wagon 4-matic
15 Posts
Not sure if this helps. Your profile says 97 E230. I did this to the front wheels of a 03 E320 and had a similar experience. I noticed that the brake caliper frame was very close to the rotor during reassembly and then had all kinds of problems after that like you describe. Turns out Benz doesn't do it this way. You can buy all the individual bearing parts, but if you have a rear-wheel drive E320, Benz sells a complete bearing module assembly for each wheel. It is common to many model cars apparently. I found that assembly part on-line, took the one I tried to repair off and put the complete bearing OEM module in and all my problems went away. The brake caliper fit as before, so everything else lined up correctly. Shortly thereafter my daughter totaled it (through no fault of hers). I bought another - '05 this time.

·
Registered
Dallas, Texas
7,377 Posts
Hi guys,
I just changed front bearings and seal on my car. The seal is aftermarket and a little different than the one extracted. The new bearings function perfectly but the dash is now lit up with ABS and other sensor warnings. I am not a mechanic and 1st time doing this task so my question is, does the seal have a sensor band or anything that would cause the malfunction? The seal is not original MB (I am in Venezuela and it was impossible to find here). What could have caused the sensor warnings to activate? Even brake failure lights came on and both the discs and the pads are brand new original MB.
Thanks in advance for any help!
*I am a major with the US Air Force assigned to our embassy in Venezuela and my mechanical ability is limited...
Wheel bearing seal contains reluctor ring. It is sensitive to installation depth and installation method. Driving it in with steel hammer will ruin it. Installing too deep will change air gap between it and sensor.

Attachments

·
Registered
2003 E32 W211
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I assume it means that the original seal has the reluctor ring and the aftermarket piece I purchased does not. I'm figuring it may be best to just buy the complete pre-assembled hub... Would that be your advise? I have no idea what to do. And the video is confusing as I've no idea what the objective is...

·
Registered
2003 E32 W211
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not sure if this helps. Your profile says 97 E230. I did this to the front wheels of a 03 E320 and had a similar experience. I noticed that the brake caliper frame was very close to the rotor during reassembly and then had all kinds of problems after that like you describe. Turns out Benz doesn't do it this way. You can buy all the individual bearing parts, but if you have a rear-wheel drive E320, Benz sells a complete bearing module assembly for each wheel. It is common to many model cars apparently. I found that assembly part on-line, took the one I tried to repair off and put the complete bearing OEM module in and all my problems went away. The brake caliper fit as before, so everything else lined up correctly. Shortly thereafter my daughter totaled it (through no fault of hers). I bought another - '05 this time.
I believe that's gonna be my best and least expensive option. I updated my profile. I have a 2003 E320 now. Sadly it takes about 30 days to get anything down from the states. Do you by chance still have that part number? I looked on ebay and it was terribly confusing. And I truly can't afford buying from a MB dealer unless the government suddenly gives us a log overdue significant pay raise! (Unlikely).
Much obliged, buddy.
Maj. Lawrence - out.

·
Registered
Dallas, Texas
7,377 Posts
I assume it means that the original seal has the reluctor ring and the aftermarket piece I purchased does not. I'm figuring it may be best to just buy the complete pre-assembled hub... Would that be your advise? I have no idea what to do. And the video is confusing as I've no idea what the objective is...
Objective was to show that wheel seal contains reluctor that can be damaged if mishandled.

Yes, complete hub is an option.

Wheel seal 025 997 16 47 is $15.50
Wheel hub 230 330 03 25 is $370.00
Those are MB list prices.

·
Registered
'04 SL500; '05 E500; 05 E320 Wagon 4-matic
15 Posts
Below is the part I purchased, and I do recall it costing over $300, which is a lot. But not really after buying the individual parts and failing at that approach. This way is just so darn simple.
"www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/SuperCat/3822/MBZ_3822_SUSAXL_pg3.htm#item13"

pelicanparts-dot-com enter year / model / suspension / wheelbearing... p/n:
230-330-03-25-MBZ
Associated Part Numbers: 230 330 03 25, 230-330-03-25, 230-330-03-25-MBZ, 230.330.03.25, 2303300325

Looks like Pelican sells it for a few bucks less than Wikek's source, but we're in the ball park.

If your spindle is damaged, then all bets are off. Chances are it isn't though. Good luck

·
Registered
2003 E32 W211
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I sure appreciate you guys taking the time to help me out. I will contact a dealer in Florida. Wish I could reciprocate somehow. Y'all need to know how to arm an F-35 missile system? Or that we now have technology that can read the date on a dime from more than 800,000 kilometers away... LOL, Again, much obliged, guys.

·
Registered
2003 E32 W211
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Why don't you just get the correct seal?
I've contacted some dealers in Florida where the embassy has its courier but hell, they want more than 50 bucks for the seal. Am still looking for it, however.

·
Registered
2003 E32 W211
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi guys!
New development. After a nightmare of logistics and favor -asking I received the seal today. However, the extracted seal is number 024 997 5747 and the seal I received that supposedly matches both vin and vehicle description is number 025 997 1647. I pose the question: will this seal work? Remember, it's a 2003 E320 base sedan. @Witek_M posted the latter part number as being correct, so is the seal that was installed an incorrect but functional part? I will have the seal installed the second y'all confirm it's the right piece.
Thanks in advance once again.
Maj. Lawrence - out.

·
Registered
2003 E32 W211
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
@konigstiger Am very much obliged for the prompt reply! One less worry.
Now I have to see why the rear lights quit working! Brake lights work, blinkers work, but there is no reverse or running lights coming on at all. One license plate bulb works even though both are fine (I switched them out and in the left socket they both work)... I can repair an airplane Nav system in mid-flight but don't know much about auto mechanics!

·
Premium Member
'71 Pinto
4,427 Posts
Now I have to see why the rear lights quit working! Brake lights work, blinkers work, but there is no reverse or running lights coming on at all. One license plate bulb works even though both are fine (I switched them out and in the left socket they both work)
If you have not already done so check wiring harness @ rear left trunk hinge.

trunk harness.jpg

·
Registered
2006 E320 CDI
694 Posts
230 330 03 25 complete wheel hub from FCP euro is FEBI brand and only $115 USD

·
Registered
2003 E32 W211
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Common problem @ the hinge.
I checked the hinge cable bundle and couldn't find anything obvious. The embassy carpool mechanic says it may be the sam module. Hoping it isn't cuz that's expensive. I had replaced a connector that goes beneath driver, in the footwell, because the other was pretty corroded and didn't solve the problem... don't know what else to try.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts