Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First and foremost - Happy New Year to all!

I am having trouble with my 2003 C180 (United Kingdom Spec) 2.0L (non-Kompressor model)’s air conditioning/climate system.

When it is switched to manual fan control it works perfectly well however, when it is set to auto, it intermittantly switches itself off as you drive.

Some days it works fine and other days it will work for 30 seconds – 10 minutes and then switch itself off.

It is the Automatic Air Conditioning (Thermatic) type and I’ve attached a photo so you can see exactly which type is installed.

Can anyone shed some light on this????

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Comfort ECU?

I haven't checked the connections as yet. I took the car into the dealership and they checked it over as it was coming to the end of it's warranty and they said that it was running low on aircon gas but I sincerely doubt that it the issue as it is so intermittant.

I just wondered if there were any standard faults with these systems or if someone else had had the same difficulty.

I will check the connections now though!

·
Registered
119 Posts
yeah I know audi's have a seperate comfort & convenience ecu under the front seats, the benz could well be the same mate, not sure tho.

An obd scan should have shown if the system reported any faults so not sure the dealership have done a full diagnostic, I would look into that....end of warranty, they will fob you off till it runs out so they dont pay!

A regas only helps to make the AC blow cold when asked, the switching off (is it powered down or does it just drop to idle mode, i.e. turns the fans off?) is likely an electrical fault, or a sensor malfunction.

Theres a cabin thermistor that reads a particular range of resistance depending on temperature, some are ptc some ntc, so they go up or down in resistance with temp, ntc ones show high temp when they fail open circuit, and the controller maybe thinks the cabin is hotter than the setting and so switches off the heat & fans.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
I haven't checked the connections as yet. I took the car into the dealership and they checked it over as it was coming to the end of it's warranty and they said that it was running low on aircon gas but I sincerely doubt that it the issue as it is so intermittant.
Sorry you didn't find out earlier - if it is running low on refrigerant, there is something wrong with the system! The system is sealed and should never leak. Perhaps they will cover that under the warranty goodwill?

Does it work in Auto mode with 'EC' on? It might be shutting down to protect aircon components, as the aircon is used all the time in Auto mode regardless of temperature.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts