Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Car
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I'm new here, so forgive me if I'm breaking some forum etiquette!

I'm actually just curious about whether or not you can disable the alarm externally without the key FOB?

I recently had my FOB just... stop. Which is weird, but I was reluctant to open my car because the last time this happened, I was saddled with a piercing alarm that went on and on for about 40 minutes. In front of a lot of people.

I'd rather not have the headache of not knowing what to do were this to happen again.

Anyways, I'd like to know if it's possible to disarm the alarm of a mercedes (specifically the SLK230 or any model with the same alarm setup) with just the mechanical key? I heard that sticking the key in the trunk and turning it will shut the alarm off, but I can't find any sources that actually strongly confirm this.

If that is or is not the case, why does (or doesn't) it work like that? You would think it's smart to have some fail safe for shutting the alarm off that didn't involve the FOB.

Any guidance/chances for me to learn a lesson here are appreciated!

Thanks!

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,354 Posts
The alarm should quiet once you stick the knob in the ignition.
The only way to activate the alarm is with remote, so if remote doesn't work, the blade key will not activate it.

·
Registered
Car
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The alarm should quiet once you stick the knob in the ignition.
The only way to activate the alarm is with remote, so if remote doesn't work, the blade key will not activate it.
Well, I'm not trying to deliberately activate it. I'm just nervous that using the blade key to unlock the drivers side door and opening my door will trigger the alarm.

I've had it happen such that my fob didn't work, but after unlocking the door and opening it, the alarm triggered and nothing with the key turned it off.

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,354 Posts
Sounds like both - the remote and ignition chip failed at the same time.
There is no way they both "just stop" at the same time.
Tell us what you did? ;)

·
Registered
Car
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds like both - the remote and ignition chip failed at the same time.
There is no way they both "just stop" at the same time.
Tell us what you did? ;)
Hahaha, well the first occurrence of this was quite some time ago. Maybe I'm just being a big chicken. I appreciate the suggestion, I'm sure it'll shut off just fine with the key in position two. If I can manage to re-sync my fob, hopefully I can disarm it then, too.

·
Registered
Car
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So, to follow up on this, I went ahead and toyed around with my car today:

1. Walked out to the car, put the key in the drivers side lock, turned it a couple of times (out of paranoia)
2. Turned the key in the trunk lock a couple of times (to see if that'd do anything before I opened the door)
3. Opened the drivers side door, all hell broke loose with the alarm going off.
4. Put the key in the ignition, turned to position 2, nothing happened.
5. Panic a little bit, started pressing buttons.
6. Pressed the panic button on my FOB while the key was in the ignition in position 2 and alarm shut off.

I basically then sat in the car trying to resync my key fob to my car. Nothing really worked though. Touched the unlock button twice, stuck it in the ignition, waited a minute and tried the buttons, but nothing!

Got a 'START ERROR' in the dashboard odometer.

Figuring that this was already a fine kettle of fish, I thought to see if it would turn over. So I tried turning it over. It didn't even turn. I then heard a clicking sound that repeated itself for a good while when I tried starting.

I think It might be a dead battery causing a start error? Which is strange, but not unlikely, I suppose. The radio works and so do the windows, but I hear that those things will work all the way up until the death of the battery, but it just doesn't have enough amps to turn the car. Think that's a possibility?

Anyways, My car is unlocked and now any time I open my door the alarm goes off because I can't disarm it fully.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So, to follow up on this, I went ahead and toyed around with my car today:

1. Walked out to the car, put the key in the drivers side lock, turned it a couple of times (out of paranoia)
2. Turned the key in the trunk lock a couple of times (to see if that'd do anything before I opened the door)
3. Opened the drivers side door, all hell broke loose with the alarm going off.
4. Put the key in the ignition, turned to position 2, nothing happened.
5. Panic a little bit, started pressing buttons.
6. Pressed the panic button on my FOB while the key was in the ignition in position 2 and alarm shut off.

I basically then sat in the car trying to resync my key fob to my car. Nothing really worked though. Touched the unlock button twice, stuck it in the ignition, waited a minute and tried the buttons, but nothing!

Got a 'START ERROR' in the dashboard odometer.

Figuring that this was already a fine kettle of fish, I thought to see if it would turn over. So I tried turning it over. It didn't even turn. I then heard a clicking sound that repeated itself for a good while when I tried starting.

I think It might be a dead battery causing a start error? Which is strange, but not unlikely, I suppose. The radio works and so do the windows, but I hear that those things will work all the way up until the death of the battery, but it just doesn't have enough amps to turn the car. Think that's a possibility?

Anyways, My car is unlocked and now any time I open my door the alarm goes off because I can't disarm it fully.
Hello Morklympious,

I know it's been a while since you posted this issue.
Did you find a solution to the problem?
I am currently going through the same thing.
I want to add that when I am inside the car, the button on the center console to lock/unlock doesn't work either.

Thanks for your help,
T

1 - 7 of 7 Posts